Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Coal has fallen. Nuclear is next then Oil.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to disagree, but the graph shows charging from 0:00-05:00 and discharging from 05:00-07:30. Likely, they didn’t do more because the AM peak price isn’t as valuable as the PM peak price.
By all means disagree, but please explain why. I presume you agree that they could have charged more at night if they wanted to ? And if so, are you disagreeing that it was interesting that they did not ?

Your explanation would only hold if they could not fill the batteries during the day after the AM peak. I find that ... unlikely, given the arbitrage involved.

Regarding 5/12/2021 battery usage on the grid, it should be noted that day was a pretty hot here in CA. Mid 90's where I live and there was no solar PV curtailment that day for the first time in a while. In fact, NG didn't dip below 6GW (will go as low as 3GW on solar PV curtailment days). NG never got below 6GW at night and imports remained minimum 5GW then. NG peaked around 8pm at 15GW. This suggests the battery arbitrage was greatest from time shifting mid-day energy to the early evening.

More specifically as to why they did not fully maximize stored energy in batteries at night to fully deploy around sunrise, wholesale electricity was likely more expensive then - maybe not cheap enough to fully compete with other sources from 5-7am. Do I have the actual wholesales numbers on hand, no.:)

Why do we want nuclear to fail

Massive opportunity cost, and horrendous corruption .... for a start.
Then there is the matter of safety. And if you still live under a rock and think it is safe, I'm sure you will not mind if the nuclear industry pays its own insurance.

Nuclear is so fantastically, insanely stupid it reaches the level of a pet conspiracy theory in the sense that you have to set aside rationality to support it.

Why do we want nuclear to fail. I think clean nuclear energy is something we should invest in.

plus, having three eyes and two penises sounds kinda fun.
We do not want it to fail, but it failed on its own due to cost overruns time line to complete and safety concerns. Take those billions of dollars and invest in clean energy.

All we need is 25000 square miles for solar panels and you have a deal 👍

May be an issue for some small crowded countries. Lots of open space for the USA.

1621003119126.png

Reactions: SmartElectric
yeah, you gonna transmit power from Wyoming to New York? How much diesel will the machines that mine copper put it on order to produce those lines?

Is it physically possible, maybe. Practically no. You could build brand new infrastructure from Wyoming to New York, perhaps, and maybe it would work. But you still have to deal with the nimbys, environmentalists that don’t want land cleared for the transmission lines, the cost for right of way, the cost of materials ect.

I’m unimpressed with the way they determined a solar farm produces more electric than a nuclear power plant. They included all the green space around the plant that can used for habitat. With a solar farm it’s a wide open field with no habitat.

All we need is 25000 square miles for solar panels and you have a deal.

I realize that you are trolling, but I decided to answer this before I put you on ignore:
  1. PV on rooftops, over water, and on any built structure does not take up surface land
  2. About 1/2 of clean energy will come from wind, which takes up a minuscule land area
  3. 25,000 square miles is ~ 65,000 square km = 13 TW
    1. That is 65 E3 km*km
    2. That is 65 E9 meter*meter
    3. That is 13 TW using PV panel at 20% efficiency
    4. That is ~ 20 PWh annually
    5. PV is ~ 3x as efficient as fossils, so the 20 PWh of PV electricity is ~ equal to 60 PWh of fossil source energy
    6. US annual Source energy consumption is 100 quad btu, = ~ 30 PWh
Your statement is easily off by 5x. For you I think that is an improvement, but still a waste of time to read your posts.

Last edited:
I realize that you are trolling, but I decided to answer this before I put you on ignore:
  1. PV on rooftops, over water, and on any built structure does not take up surface land
  2. About 1/2 of clean energy will come from wind, which takes up a minuscule land area
  3. 25,000 square miles is ~ 65,000 square km = 13 TW
    1. That is 65 E3 km*km
    2. That is 65 E9 meter*meter
    3. That is 13 TW using PV panel at 20% efficiency
    4. That is ~ 20 PWh annually
    5. PV is ~ 3x as efficient as fossils, so the 20 PWh of PV electricity is ~ equal to 60 PWh of fossil source energy
    6. US annual Source energy consumption is 100 quad btu, = ~ 30 PWh
Your statement is easily off by 5x. For you I think that is an improvement, but still a waste of time to read your posts.

the source for my miles is that it would take 2000 square foots per capita to meet us energy needs.... possibly my math after that is wrong.

Speaking of PV,
this website has very informative data about utility scale capacity factor (CF). It appears to average 25% across the US nowadays.
The residential average is more along the lines of 18%.
If we continue as before with ~ 2/3 utility scale and 1/3 residential, the weighted CF is 22.6%

---
Commodity PV is ~ 21.5% efficient when new

---
Putting the two numbers together, a square meter of PV generates 425 kWh a year

Why do we want nuclear to fail. I think clean nuclear energy is something we should invest in.

plus, having three eyes and two penises sounds kinda fun.

I don't think anyone 'wants' nuclear to fail. I worked in the nuclear industry for ~15 years. I would have been very happy to see it succeed. I finally accepted the reality that it has failed and has ~0 chance of success for about a dozen reasons. I just want us to stop wasting money on something that's hopeless.

The land area required for solar really isn't much. Certainly not a 'deal breaker'. It's ~4x more than we currently set aside for golf. And that's not counting the energy we can get from wind. There's also no rule that says you need to 'salt the Earth' under a solar array. Lots of ways we can get all the energy from solar we need without losing a single square meter of arable land.

Benefits of Agrivoltaics Across the Food-Energy-Water Nexus

Last edited: