Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Coal has fallen. Nuclear is next then Oil.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
France EPR Nuclear Reactor Is a Mess - Nuclear Reactor News

A revolutionary French reactor design is 10 years overdue and nearly four times over budget.
Taking big technology swings requires risk, but this huge miscalculation looks bad.
The reactor uses less uranium and aims to replace a decommissioned reactor at an existing plant.
I'm not positive but I think the same tech is part of the ridiculous UK Hinkley Point C

Reactions: miimura
I'm not positive but I think the same tech is part of the ridiculous UK Hinkley Point C
Such a white elephant. Why can't the people responsible for approvals see that 100% of the money spent on the project will be completely stranded. The sooner they cut that project the better the UK public will be. Are the politicians completely bought and paid for?

Edit: actually, let me rephase - how can the politicians commit their constituents to pay such an inflated price for energy by building this thing. Renewables and batteries would be like 1/5th the cost per kWh.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Edit: actually, let me rephase - how can the politicians commit their constituents to pay such an inflated price for energy by building this thing. Renewables and batteries would be like 1/5th the cost per kWh.
Yep.

I'd say the benign take would be that the politicos bought into the 'baseload' argument and off-shore wind was still somewhat uncertain. The less forgiving view would be that they are as corrupt as the Ohio politicians.

Yep.

I'd say the benign take would be that the politicos bought into the 'baseload' argument and off-shore wind was still somewhat uncertain. The less forgiving view would be that they are as corrupt as the Ohio politicians.

I think the benign take is the right one. Ironically, the nuclear option was seen as providing certainty, but the fundamental issue with Hinkley Point C is that it's using an updated technology, with the idea being that it would help develop the technology which would be better for construction of future nuclear power.

There were other power plants planned which would be cheaper, but those have also been dealing with rising costs and have either been abandoned or are on hold, as alternative renewable approaches have become so much cheaper.

A January 2019 BBC article summed up the overall state of new nuclear power in the UK, and things have become worse for it since then as new offshore wind auctions have given even lower prices:
Hitachi to halt work on Wales nuclear plant

UK has:
8.8GW of nuclear.
24GW of wind power.
- 8.1GW is offshore.
10.6GW of new offshore wind capacity is under construction and will be commissioned by _2025_.
Recent changes in law have also now made it easier to build onshore wind in England, so that should pick up a bit again.
The latest offshore wind auctions have dropped the price of offshore wind even further.
32GW of CCGT.
13.2GW of solar PV.
UK is also building GWs more interconnects to Norway and continental Europe.
UK peak demand in 2017 was 57GW.
EVs could add 8% to that by 2030.

The biggest potential problem the UK faces would be high demand during periods of low wind, which can last a couple of weeks.

The economics have shifted so much that the worst case scenario appears to be building some more natural gas plants and to import more electricity during periods of low wind.

The biggest potential problem the UK faces would be high demand during periods of low wind, which can last a couple of weeks.
Is that true for off-shore also ?

I have to say though, that if the UK reaches ~ 100% clean energy for 45 - 50 weeks of the year and has 50% NG the other 2 - 7 weeks, they are doing fantastic.

Is that true for off-shore also ?

I have to say though, that if the UK reaches ~ 100% clean energy for 45 - 50 weeks of the year and has 50% NG the other 2 - 7 weeks, they are doing fantastic.

I'm pretty sure there's substantial reduction even for offshore turbines. The periods of lower generation come along with
large weather systems.

But it's quite extraordinary to think how much more electricity will be generated from wind in just 5 years time.

• Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush
Engineers know how to build safe and reliable nuclear power plants. France gets most of its power from nuclear.
Nuclear is expensive because of the costs of regulation and litigation, including constant battles to stop construction
of plants for all kinds of reasons. Plants have to be overbuilt to meet the concerns of those who really don't want
them built at all. The builders are constantly facing impossible & costly requirements to get final operational approval.
The plants built in France and in the US continue to operate reliably and with overwhelming safety considerations.
Nuclear is a good alternative energy source and more people should be open to it's use in the mix of hydro, solar and
wind to offset the use of coal and other fossil fuels.

Engineers know how to build safe and reliable nuclear power plants. France gets most of its power from nuclear.
Nuclear is expensive because of the costs of regulation and litigation, including constant battles to stop construction
of plants for all kinds of reasons. Plants have to be overbuilt to meet the concerns of those who really don't want
them built at all. The builders are constantly facing impossible & costly requirements to get final operational approval.
The plants built in France and in the US continue to operate reliably and with overwhelming safety considerations.
Nuclear is a good alternative energy source and more people should be open to it's use in the mix of hydro, solar and
wind to offset the use of coal and other fossil fuels.
All those pesky regulations don't seem to have stopped accidents.

Nuclear is expensive because of the <snip> ...

Ontario has majority Nuclear power, to "refurbish" the existing 40 year old plants, the cost of electricity will be raised 50% to cover this, it's not new build, this is extending the life of existing plants. The cost is greater than NEW solar, wind and gas. GET THE F%CK OVER IT, it's not those pesky regulations. Nuclear had it's day. Many people were lied to, some even believe the lies today. "so cheap it's doesn't need to be measured", "safe", "base load" <- Ontario boils water and vents that steam at a nuclear plant overnight because we have excess nuclear "base load", boils water, with a multi-billion dollar plant, we boil the water, it's called "flexibility", hundreds of people working actively to ensure water is boiled and vented, give your head a shake. You know what's flexible, stopping wind turbines from spinning, at least then the fuel and other costs are zero.

Can things get any more stupid?

India plans to fell ancient forest to create 40 new coalfields

Yet under a new “self-reliant India” plan by the prime minister, Narendra Modi, to boost the economy post-Covid-19 and reduce costly imports, 40 new coalfields in some of India’s most ecologically sensitive forests are to be opened up for commercial mining.

• Informative
Is this the end for ‘king coal’ in Britain?

Is this the end for ‘king coal’ in Britain?

However, the rate at which we have abandoned the use of coal over the past five years has been extraordinary,” adds Evans, whose analysis of coal use for Carbon Brief last week revealed its return to 18th-century levels. “In 2014, we used 84 million tonnes of coal. In 2019 that was down to 8 million tonnes. That is a drop of 84% in coal use in five years, and that is astonishing.” This meant only a handful of power plants still burned coal in the UK, and all of them were destined for closure in the next few years, he added.

Can things get any more stupid?

Yet under a new “self-reliant India” plan by the prime minister, Narendra Modi, to boost the economy post-Covid-19 and reduce costly imports, 40 new coalfields in some of India’s most ecologically sensitive forests are to be opened up for commercial mining.
I wondering if Modi ever looked at Tony Seba’s disruption of the oil, gas and nuclear technologies. This is so stupid it is hard to understand.