Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Model X 2nd row seats will be removable in less than 5 minutes per seat!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says: Model X 2nd row seats will be removable in less than 5 minutes per seat (Update: and installation of same seats in < 5 minutes)!

More like: max of 2 minutes per seat, but have to give a little bit more room for error.
Last caveat, simple tools required (screwdriver, socket wrench).

Edit: the post will be removed with seat.

Last edited:
As the title says: Model X 2nd row seats will be removable in less than 5 minutes per seat!

More like: max of 2 minutes per seat, but have to give a little bit more room for error.
Last caveat, simple tools required (screwdriver, socket wrench).

Edit: the post will be removed with seat.

I don't believe that will be true. It seems to me the safety of such seats would be suspect.

I have posted before that I don't think this will be allowed or advised either. Its either the 7 or 6 seat version, even after the sale.

"Advised" I will certainly agree with. Not sure what you mean by not "allowed" -- do you mean they will see that you have done it and complain, or that it will not be (reasonably) physically possible to do so? Hard to imagine a system that would not be removable by any means. How would they replace/repair it? As to the scolding, there isn't much they can do but perhaps void the warranty on the seats.

There are seat heaters, seat belt switches, and most likely seat sensors for those seat belts, plus controls for the electric seats. The fact that Tesla Motors requires us to order either the Six Seat Interior or the Seven Seat Interior would indicate that this is not a user changeable feature. If it was, there would be no reason for Tesla Motors to make us decide between two options at order time.

Add the above the controls that are needed on the touch screen. The programming for 6 or 7 seats will be different. A wire disconnect might create error messages. My above comments are an educated guess, but there were no discussions or information about anything being removable with anyone at any time. Notice the first word of the title of this thread: Prediction = It is NOT fact.

Last edited:
Prediction = It is NOT fact.
Agreed, it is not fact... yet.

But then Elon's statement that it is the "most over-engineered car ever" would fall a little flat with this one. A seat that cannot be installed (even at the factory) and removed in less then 5 minutes is not engineered for efficiency of the production line or the Tesla service centers...

We shall see, very soon.

I predict that there will be new second row folding option in 2nd half of 2016. Current seats will not be removable or made fordable.

Why? Tesla will ramp up production at the very end of 2015 and they will have enough buyers for at least 6 months so the second row seats will "take a back seat" to more important things.

"Prediction: Model X 2nd row seats will be removable in less than 5 minutes per seat!"

No problem. I can have 'em all out in about 3 minutes, as long as you don't ever want to put 'em back in.

While I'm at it I can take off the roof...with the same caveat.

There are seat heaters, seat belt switches, and most likely seat sensors for those seat belts, plus controls for the electric seats. The fact that Tesla Motors requires us to order either the Six Seat Interior or the Seven Seat Interior would indicate that this is not a user changeable feature. If it was, there would be no reason for Tesla Motors to make us decide between two options at order time.

Add the above the controls that are needed on the touch screen. The programming for 6 or 7 seats will be different. A wire disconnect might create error messages. My above comments are an educated guess, but there were no discussions or information about anything being removable with anyone at any time. Notice the first word of the title of this thread: Prediction = It is NOT fact.

I agree it will not be easy, made even more difficult by having no wiring diagrams and having to deal with safety systems. It will never be a "removable seat" like in some mini vans. More like something done once or twice a year, rather than once or twice a week.

I'm sorry, but I HAVE to believe this is possible, as it is what will allow me to go ahead and purchase the MX when my time comes next year. For my personal unreasonable planned uses of the vehicle, those seats have to go. I need two things: 1) the ability to tow a small utility trailer so I don't have to have a pickup or keep one of my ICE SUVs, and 2) the ability to occasionally sleep in the back of the car in remote RV parks as we travel. I know the MX can tow, but I'm not interested in towing a camping trailer all over the continent. Part of the fun of traveling in a Tesla is that you are traveling in a Tesla, and it won't be a Tesla if it is towing a trailer.

In the real world very few people want to remove seats. I had an Expedition with a removable third row. Its a PIA, and not a good design.

IMO opinion, proper functionality in an SUV is for the second and third row to fold and "go away" as much as possible. Seats disappearing into the floor is the ideal (obviously not going to happen in a Tesla).

There are seat heaters, seat belt switches, and most likely seat sensors for those seat belts, plus controls for the electric seats.
Add the above the controls that are needed on the touch screen. The programming for 6 or 7 seats will be different. A wire disconnect might create error messages.
About all these connections that seem to come up in all threads related to seats.

Take a look at the Tesla Supercharger connector and compare it to CHAdeMO or CCS (combo) connectors. Tesla knows how to make a connector(s) that can do the the tasks necessary.

About screen/software control... all the software needs to know: Is the seat present? Yes - allowed to control, No - do not try to control a non-present seat.

I know the seats are being made by a supplier, but they are being made to Tesla spec... ala Foxconn for Apple.

The only real concern here, is allowing removal/install that can still handle all situations in regards to crash tests. Meaning the pedestal mounting must handle the forces at worst case scenarios.

Agreed, it is not fact... yet.

But then Elon's statement that it is the "most over-engineered car ever" would fall a little flat with this one. A seat that cannot be installed (even at the factory) and removed in less then 5 minutes is not engineered for efficiency of the production line or the Tesla service centers...

We shall see, very soon.

How long does it take to install and remove the Model S seats? Why would the factory and service center requirements for the Model X be any different? Obviously service centers remove Model S seats all the time, it doesn't mean it's convenient for customers to do the same.

How long does it take to install and remove the Model S seats? Why would the factory and service center requirements for the Model X be any different? Obviously service centers remove Model S seats all the time, it doesn't mean it's convenient for customers to do the same.
Each seat in the 2nd row of Model X has to be handled individually, unlike the bench of the model S + the 60/40 split back.
Efficiency on the production line is a HUGE must, if it takes the same amount of time to install 1 Model X "sculpted" seat as the entire back seat of Model S, then you have some serious problems from labor cost per vehicle point of view.

And when you do not account for things like assembly, you cannot claim to have the most over-engineered car ever.

This is all speculation, that is why the title from the very beginning stated: "Prediction: ..."