Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Model X price will be reduced to $78K in January 2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It feels like you're arguing the "WOW" on the basis of very practical concerns like cost, maintenance, and range economy.

You are absolutely correct, and you can add engineering. I enjoyed the two Model Xs that I had, but, even with the $40,000 price reduction, I can't justify buying a vehicle with faulty engineering, that I recently became aware can/will never be corrected. Even Musk has acknowledged that it should have been built on it's own frame. Not frequently having rear passengers, I really didn't WOW to the FWDs that often. And another setback. My front doors with sensors used to open wide for my entrance. WOW. Now, without sensors, they click open. EHH. Things are supposed to be improving aren't they?

Rest assured, it added significantly to my WOW factor when I had two blowouts, while driving, due to faulty engineering, and the inability to appropriately adjust the Model X camber. The rear wheels are toe-in and contribute to excessive tire wear and premature replacement. And, it also added to the WOW factor after having half-shafts replaced on each.

To each their own criteria. I am not being critical of anyone who enjoys the Model X. It was made to enjoy. I did as well, but knowledge has modified my opinion. Subsequently, I am more than satisfied to keep my MYP (sans major engineering issues) until the arrival of my CYBRTRK.

Of the nine Teslas that I have owned, IMHO, the MYP is the best combination of WOW, engineering, value, and fun. Now I must admit the smooth ride of my first Model S (2014) is missed, but the car is just too low for my liking. My friend still owns Tessie with 187,000 miles on her, and you must admit, it is still looking pretty sweet.

When I got it they told me the little knob on the column was for future enhancements. I'll never forget the day when that little knob started working, and the WOW I experienced with my first AUTOPILOT drive. In some ways, the Israeli MOBILEYE back then was better than what we have today. (No crazy shadow halts in the middle of the highway). It was AMAZING for a first entry. When Elon got in a fight with the owner, that was the end of MOBILEYE, and it took years for the Tesla engineers to even come close to what that software afforded.

Enough nostalgia. We all measure our pleasure and satisfaction by different criteria. Cost, value, safety, performance, WOW, resale, etc. Enjoy whatever Model Tesla you have, knowing that it is a far better vehicle than the one next to you at the stop light.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• Continental Model X.jpeg
    Continental Model X.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 2014 Tessie.jpg
    2014 Tessie.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
Well I guess WOW is in the eye of the beholder. And you may make many good points. Not sure about your speed record in your Model X Raven - I have one. Also not sure what year/model Corvette you are talking about. I have a 2022 C8. No Model X Raven would be putting it in their rear view mirror.
What is the 0-60 time for a 2022 C8?

Chevy Corvette C8 Specs | 0-60 MPH Time | Stingray Chevrolet

C8 Corvette 0-60 mph of 2.9 seconds.

My Model X Raven Ludicrous did 0-60 in 2.86 (It's rated at 2.7) And I did the 1/4 mile in 11.203
If you note in the video (tail lights), it was my 1st ever 1/4 mile run, and I actually let up on the accelerator before the finish line.
The proximity of the end of the track messed with my self-preservation instincts.

I would definitely see you in my rear view mirror, along side the Lambo Urus.
The new PLAID does it in 2.5 Not a serious improvement for all the $$$.

Attachments

• Go.jpeg
    Go.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 20
  • World's Fastest SUV Record Blue  Raven.jpg
    World's Fastest SUV Record Blue Raven.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 16
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20201107_132346_resized (1).jpg
    20201107_132346_resized (1).jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

My Model X Raven Ludicrous did 0-60 in 2.86 (It's rated at 2.7) And I did the 1/4 mile in 11.203
If you note in the video (tail lights), it was my 1st ever 1/4 mile run, and I actually let up on the accelerator before the finish line.
The proximity of the end of the track messed with my self-preservation instincts.

Good times. But the C8 coupe with Z51 does 0-60 in 2.8 and the quarter mile in 11.2

1699575580276.png

This is the slip that first came up when I google Model X Plaid 1/4 mile

I think there's quite a significant difference. Trap speed is almost 25 mph higher

Reactions: Fairchild
View attachment 989364
This is the slip that first came up when I google Model X Plaid 1/4 mile

I think there's quite a significant difference. Trap speed is almost 25 mph higher
Originally posted by Anderson
Thats one thing I've always wondered. Never saw the advantage of using an estimated speed

Since the trap speed is a calculation, it's not as accurate as having a Gtech in the car. The Gtech will display the true mph at the end of the 1/4 mile. The trap speed is a calculation however most cars are still accellerating between the 2 timing points. Since there no way to measure the accelleration it just calculates the time it takes between the beams.

Without being disrespectful to anyone, I like a human foot and the car on the track or road, versus an estimate which can be done from your living room. It falls more in line with Brooks' T-shirt below.

A lot depends on tires, reaction time,
weather, surface condition, and what you had for breakfast.

I am also not a fan of stripping cars of their stock parts to get a faster speed. In my neighborhood, we call that cheating. Now dieting, maybe.

Regarding the Model X Plaid, it's nice when a vehicle can out do its manufacturer's published specs. I wish we could do that for range. Ha!

TESLARATI
A look at Tesla’s official website reveals that the company lists the vehicle with a 0-60 mph time of 2.5 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 9.9 seconds. Yet in the recently-shared quarter-mile run, which was performed on regular roads, the Model X Plaid was able to complete the full quarter mile in 9.83 seconds at 146.68 mph, even if its 0-60 launch was listed at 2.74 seconds.
No C8, Z8, or "be late" in sight.

#tesla #modelx #plaid runs deep in the 9's at over 146 MPH! I think I need one! This SUV will embarrass most #supercars Video by… | Instagram

That’s some serious speed, and completely insane for a six-seater SUV that feels like a tank when driving.

AND, AND, AND....
They get 98 mpg, not 19 mpg

Amazing vehicles all!
Enjoy them to the fullest.

Attachments

• 20231109_113747_resized.jpg
    20231109_113747_resized.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
Reactions: Daniel L
Originally posted by Anderson
Thats one thing I've always wondered. Never saw the advantage of using an estimated speed

Since the trap speed is a calculation, it's not as accurate as having a Gtech in the car. The Gtech will display the true mph at the end of the 1/4 mile. The trap speed is a calculation however most cars are still accellerating between the 2 timing points. Since there no way to measure the accelleration it just calculates the time it takes between the beams.

Without being disrespectful to anyone, I like a human foot and the car on the track or road, versus an estimate which can be done from your living room. It falls more in line with Brooks' T-shirt below.

A lot depends on tires, reaction time,
weather, surface condition, and what you had for breakfast.

I am also not a fan of stripping cars of their stock parts to get a faster speed. In my neighborhood, we call that cheating. Now dieting, maybe.

Regarding the Model X Plaid, it's nice when a vehicle can out do its manufacturer's published specs. I wish we could do that for range. Ha!

TESLARATI
A look at Tesla’s official website reveals that the company lists the vehicle with a 0-60 mph time of 2.5 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 9.9 seconds. Yet in the recently-shared quarter-mile run, which was performed on regular roads, the Model X Plaid was able to complete the full quarter mile in 9.83 seconds at 146.68 mph, even if its 0-60 launch was listed at 2.74 seconds.
No C8, Z8, or "be late" in sight.

#tesla #modelx #plaid runs deep in the 9's at over 146 MPH! I think I need one! This SUV will embarrass most #supercars Video by… | Instagram

That’s some serious speed, and completely insane for a six-seater SUV that feels like a tank when driving.

AND, AND, AND....
They get 98 mpg, not 19 mpg

Amazing vehicles all!
Enjoy them to the fullest.
In no way does the X feel like a tank. It’s just like a bigger car.

You should drive a Rivian. Now, that feels like a tank.

Reactions: chillaban

Waiting on the dealership to open in my state of NJ, the nearest dealership for me is Brooklyn and it’s. Haul from Central NJ for any from test drive to repair service. The adventure pack with 4 motor configuration is $97k slower than plaid but more off-road capable than plaid.

I’ll be near retirement by the time cybertruck will be released to the public. That is an updated Pontiac Aztec. Fugky as hell.

I've said, "this is going to be my last Tesla" for the last two and planning to order a PX in January. IF I add FSD, then it definitely will have to be my last. I turn 70 in 3 weeks. Planning to work another 5 years. The director for my dept expects me to work 5 more after that.

100%. FWIW we have had a S,3,Y, now an X. We also have a F-150 Lightning. The X if anything feels just as nimble as the Y (IMO the adaptive suspension offsets the size/weight difference). The Lightning feels like a total high center of gravity tank. Like yes on straight line acceleration it hauls like a Tesla but every time you turn you’re reminded that it weighs about the same as an ambulance.

I've said, "this is going to be my last Tesla" for the last two and planning to order a PX in January. IF I add FSD, then it definitely will have to be my last. I turn 70 in 3 weeks. Planning to work another 5 years. The director for my dept expects me to work 5 more after that.
GEZZZZ...Work til 75?? I hate people with such motivation and drive :D
I'm sure you will enjoy the MXP!!

• Funny
Reactions: towndrunk
I predict Model X 5-seater will be priced at $78K in January 2024. My reasons:
1) Federal EV tax credit enables SUVs priced under $80K to get $7500 discount. And starting January 1st, this will be a point-of-sale discount, given upfront.
2) Model X Long Range was already priced at $80K from May to December of 2020.
3) Model X production is ramping up heavily now, and providing supply to the whole world from Fremont.
4) Interest rates are high now, and high loan rates push down the prices of expensive luxury vehicles like the X.
5) With price of $78K, you can choose among 4 exterior paint colors, or get white paint with 3 different interiors, and stay under $80K price.
6) Tesla has been discounting the X recently, at end of June there was lots of inventory on Tesla website in the $90K to $92K price range.

Tesla has now dropped their 2023 Model Y price lower than the 2020 Model Y price. They will now do the same for the X. Anything else is just leaving money on the table. Comments/corrections are welcome.
I think a refresh is more likely. X and S are long in the tooth.