Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Model X price will be reduced to $78K in January 2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I think about it, PHEV is the way to go for me. My commute to work is relatively short enough that I don't even have to use gas most of the time, but on those long trips, I have that convenience of being able to use gas if I wanted to.
This right here - is what the legacy manufacturers are counting on and advertising for - converting prospective BEV consumers over to PHEV - which is profitable for them still - as opposed to losing a ton of money on the BEVs they are selling. The reasoning is just what is being indicated here. No matter how you slice it - no matter what excuses BEV early adopters come up with to justify longer charging times and much lower ranges when road tripping - until these two issues are resolved somehow - no amount of cheerleading is going to substitute for these limitations. This is why we're not going to see the sea change over to BEV between now and 2030 like many seem to believe. Americans love their freedoms - and that includes the ability to jump in their cars and drive 400-500 miles without having to worry about planning longer stops for charging. For those of us willing to change how we travel and ultimately turn a 5-6 hour trip into a 7-8 hour trip due to charging stops - we'll continue to use our BEVs for road trips - but rest assured the vast majority of more traditional automotive consumers likely aren't going to do this and will do exactly what @mathnerd88 is going to do - buy a PHEV as a bridge to eventually buying a BEV some years out when the charging and range issues have hopefully been mitigated. Yes I'm aware that these buyers are essentially making their purchasing decision based upon the exception and not the rule - but that's not going to stop many from going the PHEV route none-the-less, IMHO.

If Tesla can really innovate on the 4680 batteries and ultimately increase range by 30-40% with various efforts such as dry cathode, silicon, NMC955/973, etc., then at least the range issue may at least partly be remediated. But the charging times remain a real limiting factor for many - and at least as things stand with the current 4680 packs - charging times are even worse than comparable 2170/18650 packs unfortunately.

Reactions: mathnerd88
This right here - is what the legacy manufacturers are counting on and advertising for - converting prospective BEV consumers over to PHEV - which is profitable for them still - as opposed to losing a ton of money on the BEVs they are selling. The reasoning is just what is being indicated here. No matter how you slice it - no matter what excuses BEV early adopters come up with to justify longer charging times and much lower ranges when road tripping - until these two issues are resolved somehow - no amount of cheerleading is going to substitute for these limitations. This is why we're not going to see the sea change over to BEV between now and 2030 like many seem to believe. Americans love their freedoms - and that includes the ability to jump in their cars and drive 400-500 miles without having to worry about planning longer stops for charging. For those of us willing to change how we travel and ultimately turn a 5-6 hour trip into a 7-8 hour trip due to charging stops - we'll continue to use our BEVs for road trips - but rest assured the vast majority of more traditional automotive consumers likely aren't going to do this and will do exactly what @mathnerd88 is going to do - buy a PHEV as a bridge to eventually buying a BEV some years out when the charging and range issues have hopefully been mitigated. Yes I'm aware that these buyers are essentially making their purchasing decision based upon the exception and not the rule - but that's not going to stop many from going the PHEV route none-the-less, IMHO.

If Tesla can really innovate on the 4680 batteries and ultimately increase range by 30-40% with various efforts such as dry cathode, silicon, NMC955/973, etc., then at least the range issue may at least partly be remediated. But the charging times remain a real limiting factor for many - and at least as things stand with the current 4680 packs - charging times are even worse than comparable 2170/18650 packs unfortunately.

I agree. The other issue with manufacturers and dealers is that BEV has very little maintenance, therefore taking a LOT of the profits out of the dealers as they make significantly more on service than anything else. That's why many dealers are reluctant to sell EVs as well.

I'm pretty sure all those quick lube change places like Jiffy Lube/Quaker State are probably lobbying against the government to continue sell PHEV/Hybrids and take away tax credits for EVs.

I don't see BEV's actually coming to fruition here, at least for the next 15-20 years. Even with government EV tax incentives, they're still not catching on fast enough. In fact, the restriction of the battery source for tax credit will just make things even harder. Unless EVs are getting batteries from 'cheaper sources/countries' or if the law is changed, I don't forsee BEV's catching on.

Tesla is trying to drop prices as quickly as possible because demand is decreasing, and they know that.

I still feel like a beta tester driving my Model X around. It does everything, albeit not well. It's like a jack of all trades but a master of none kind of vehicle for me. It has cool tech, sure, but also things that make the drive unsatisfying at times. Accelerate super hard? Yes, it has that, but then you get extreme inner tire wear and the suspension issues in the rear. It has very mild acceleration shudder, and when turning from stop the steering wheel doesn't feel smooth. It has more road noise on the highway than even my ICE/PHEV vehicles. You can't really adjust the level of air suspension because then you'll destroy the half shafts. It does not have a front bumper camera. It has autopilot, but it's super intrusive and loud and beeping compared to the LKAS, LDW and radar cruise control in my other ICE/PHEV vehicles. My Acura MDX doesn't even make a sound when you're off the lane. It just vibrates the steering wheel softly to let you know that you are drifting off, which helps IMMENSELY on long road trips with kids around that are sleeping. The Model X makes such loud noises that it wakes everyone up and freaks them out. The auto wipers suck compared to my other vehicles, which I'm surprised by since it seems Tesla auto wipers always sucked, and to change wiper speed on the Model X is sometimes a pain since there's no stalk. You have to tap the steering wheel and scroll on different hands. Given I live in the PNW valley where rain comes and goes very quickly, it's annoying for adjusting.

Honestly, all these annoyances for me has basically kind of made Model X my only and last Tesla I'll ever own. Some of the stuff that's basic to driving experience Tesla has maanged to screw it up.

Last edited:
I still feel like a beta tester driving my Model X around. It does everything, albeit not well. It's like a jack of all trades but a master of none kind of vehicle for me.

The manager at my local Tesla service center still (STILL) to this day tells customers complaining about issues that Tesla is a startup and issues should be expected.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Yes there are minor complaints about it. The beauty of Tesla is that they fix all glitches over the air. Since I bought my 3 back in 21, I have NEVER visited any repair shop except one time when I needed to rotate the tires; still have original tires (31k and counting). Paid $0 on gas for almost 45k miles which is close to 10k. The early S in Germany has 1.3 million miles on it, and there are 100s of teslas which have been on road; have more than 250k miles. Cars like BMW straight go to junkyard at 150k.

No one is asking and putting anyone on gun point to buy Tesla. Don't like, then buy something else; why bitching about it.

One more thing I would like to address about REST of the Auto industry. You had been sleeping for 100+years and were making button ICE cars; now if you are SO confident that your ICE cars are better, then why build electric cars and copy Musk. The answer is, they will be wiped out completely if they don't copy Tesla.

Reactions: henderrj
No one is asking and putting anyone on gun point to buy Tesla. Don't like, then buy something else; why bitching about it.
Only problem is, customers don't find out this attitude until AFTER they have already bought into a Tesla.

Are you the service manager at my local service center? Sure have the same attitude.
Didn't realize you can solve mechanical issues OTA.

I still feel like a beta tester driving my Model X around. It does everything, albeit not well. It's like a jack of all trades but a master of none kind of vehicle for me.

The manager at my local Tesla service center still (STILL) to this day tells customers complaining about issues that Tesla is a startup and issues should be expected.
This is part of the challenge that Tesla needs to overcome - it is no longer a startup company. Tesla is transitioning into a mature growth phase for the automotive division. Most of the buyers of Tesla vehicles to date consist of various early adopter tranches (alpha/beta early adopters) that have pretty much been saturated - now Tesla has to adapt to appeal to the more traditional automotive consumers that simply won't put up with half baked features that don't really work (i.e. FSD, summon, smart summon, auto park, etc.). I'm what I would classify as a beta early adopter - I'm not going to be one of the first - but I'm OK being within the initial 5-10% of market adoption. Beyond roughly 10% - that's when you need to have matured your product offerings to the point where your featuresets and options work well and persistently. Tesla has already dropped prices repeatedly to attempt to address slowing aggregate demand for example. Sure this partly has to do with rising interest rates and the cost of money - i.e. higher car payments - but that's not the entire story me thinks.

Would anyone on here buy an Apple iPhone or Android phone if some of the main up-sell features actually didn't work as advertised? This was the case early on back in 2007-2010 timeframe - but it's not really the case any longer. Apple or Google don't put out half baked unfinished products and then simply tell their customer base it'll be addressed in a future software update at some point. And this is only for products ranging from $500-1500 dollars - not products ranging from $40-100k in comparison.

Last edited:
............. No matter how you slice it - no matter what excuses BEV early adopters come up with to justify longer charging times and much lower ranges when road tripping - until these two issues are resolved somehow - no amount of cheerleading is going to substitute for these limitations.

...... For those of us willing to change how we travel and ultimately turn a 5-6 hour trip into a 7-8 hour trip due to charging stops - we'll continue to use our BEVs for road trips - .........
Not sure if you need excuses, but you do need accurate information. NO ONE is turning a 5-6 hour trip into a 7-8 hour trip driving a BEV. A 6 hour trip going 70 mph is 420 miles.The easiest way to do that would be stop after @ 3hours for a 15 minute bathroom break and charge. And then stop one more time for lunch and charge for @ 30 minutes or less. Few "older" people are going to drive 6 hours non stop. So the actual "added" time could be somewhere from 0-30 minutes. Considering that the rest of the year when you are driving around town and go home every night and simply plugin in the comfort or your garage, most people will easily spend far less time in a year charging vs going to a gas station and filling up, getting oil changes and other maintenance. And although range is important, charging speed matters as well and I can tell you the charging speed between a 2023 Tesla X and a 2020 X is markedly different. The 2023 is substantially faster.

Reactions: Operator
Not sure if you need excuses, but you do need accurate information. NO ONE is turning a 5-6 hour trip into a 7-8 hour trip driving a BEV. A 6 hour trip going 70 mph is 420 miles.The easiest way to do that would be stop after @ 3hours for a 15 minute bathroom break and charge. And then stop one more time for lunch and charge for @ 30 minutes or less. Few "older" people are going to drive 6 hours non stop. So the actual "added" time could be somewhere from 0-30 minutes. Considering that the rest of the year when you are driving around town and go home every night and simply plugin in the comfort or your garage, most people will easily spend far less time in a year charging vs going to a gas station and filling up, getting oil changes and other maintenance. And although range is important, charging speed matters as well and I can tell you the charging speed between a 2023 Tesla X and a 2020 X is markedly different. The 2023 is substantially faster.
Let me give a real world example. Every year we vacation in North Myrtle Beach. It's 600 miles one way. Our truck can go 600 miles without stopping since we have a 33 gallon tank. That's about an eight hour drive each way. Using our 2023 MY LR - we'd have to charge roughly every 200 miles (at most) - or three charging sessions - at 30 minutes each (at least). That's 1.5 hours of charge time vs zero. We are both in our early 50s and make this treck every year - and seldom do we stop - and if we do - it's at a Wawa for a quick sandwich grab and then back on the road. Going from eight hours up to 9.5 hours (at best), is meaningful to us, such that we take our truck instead. I get what you're saying - and we do use our BEV for weekend getaways where we're only traveling 2-3 hours one way or within 150 miles of home, and we even took our BEV on a trip last fall that was 5-6 hours and roughly 275 miles each way, and only had to stop to charge once for roughly 35-40 minutes to charge back up to 90% to make the last leg of the trip. We ended up eating at a Chipotle that was adjacent to the charging station. If we had taken our truck - we would have driven straight through without stopping - saving roughly 45 minutes in the process. So we've done it both ways. As a beta early adopter I'm OK with it - and my wife is OK with it - but I'm far from certain more traditional buyers will be OK with these scenarios in comparison. If this is the case - then these buyers simply won't take the plunge, even if it costs them more to drive and maintain ICE vehicles - or they will simply transition to PHEVs that still offer the longer range while offering enough battery power for most daily commutes.

Since I'm a Tesla stockholder - I'd actually prefer to be wrong here - but I'm far from certain this will be the case unless and until we see breakthroughs for battery pack tech and charging times, even recognizing these deciding factors are the exception (road trips) and not the rule (daily commutes).

Reactions: mathnerd88
OP here. This thread is about pricing predictions for Model X. Here are my current guesses:

- Tesla wants to keep the $7500 EV tax credit, especially point-of-sale. So prices will NOT go up higher than $80K on X base model with base paint.
- Tesla raised the non-gray paint prices to slow down the X orders for a few weeks so far. What are they up to? Maybe the S/X factory is going through updates/downtime. New steering wheel? Front bumper camera? More sound deadening material? New plaid seats? LED cabin lighting? Maybe. Seems weird for them to raise paint prices. Maybe they want to discourage X sales temporarily and encourage people to buy up the old Y inventory before a Y refresh?
- My best guess is that there is a broad price drop ($5K?) coming across all S and X, where the X base still gets tax credit with any color. I thought it would happen already, but maybe waiting until after Earnings, maybe Thursday night? I hope we don't have to wait until March. Interest rates are still high and raw materials costs like Lithium getting cheaper, so I think this price drop is coming.

Reactions: Operator
Only problem is, customers don't find out this attitude until AFTER they have already bought into a Tesla.

Are you the service manager at my local service center? Sure have the same attitude.
Didn't realize you can solve mechanical issues OTA.
Sure, and I agree. I am not a Tesla manager off course. However, I believe enough has been written about the pros and cons about it. If you still wants to try after reading all pros and cons, then I think there is no reason to bitch about it. I have had no mechanical issues so far.

Sure, and I agree. I am not a Tesla manager off course. However, I believe enough has been written about the pros and cons about it. If you still wants to try after reading all pros and cons, then I think there is no reason to bitch about it. I have had no mechanical issues so far.

I don't understand this logic. We do all read these pros and cons. However, I also read from tons of people (like you) who state that they have had no issues with the car so far. I was convinced by the MAJORITY of this forum that the 2023 models were way higher build quality than prior years and there were pretty much no issues. It was not the case for me, after already three service attempts of fixing panel gaps and misalignments, with my bright trim separating from the FWD and almost falling off into the highway after I picked up the car November 2023. The panel gaps are STILL there, and the glass is somewhat protruding from the sides. Sure there's no noise, but all of this just makes me annoyed at the build quality.

Honestly, I was hoping to be in your shoes, but obviously, I'm not. Buying a Tesla SHOULDN'T be the luck of the draw, especially on an $80k vehicle. Keep in mind...it's $80k, which is about 70% higher than the average vehicle's cost in the USA.

If nobody bitches about it, then Tesla won't ever change its behavior or tactics. They'll continue to pass off its current behavior as acceptable as long as they have customers like you.

If people are saying that 2023 Model X's have higher build quality than prior years, then I would hate to be the owner of any Model X prior to 2023.

Last edited:
Let me give a real world example. Every year we vacation in North Myrtle Beach. It's 600 miles one way. Our truck can go 600 miles without stopping since we have a 33 gallon tank. That's about an eight hour drive each way. Using our 2023 MY LR - we'd have to charge roughly every 200 miles (at most) - or three charging sessions - at 30 minutes each (at least). That's 1.5 hours of charge time vs zero. We are both in our early 50s and make this treck every year - and seldom do we stop - and if we do - it's at a Wawa for a quick sandwich grab and then back on the road. Going from eight hours up to 9.5 hours (at best), is meaningful to us, such that we take our truck instead. I get what you're saying - and we do use our BEV for weekend getaways where we're only traveling 2-3 hours one way or within 150 miles of home, and we even took our BEV on a trip last fall that was 5-6 hours and roughly 275 miles each way, and only had to stop to charge once for roughly 35-40 minutes to charge back up to 90% to make the last leg of the trip. We ended up eating at a Chipotle that was adjacent to the charging station. If we had taken our truck - we would have driven straight through without stopping - saving roughly 45 minutes in the process. So we've done it both ways. As a beta early adopter I'm OK with it - and my wife is OK with it - but I'm far from certain more traditional buyers will be OK with these scenarios in comparison. If this is the case - then these buyers simply won't take the plunge, even if it costs them more to drive and maintain ICE vehicles - or they will simply transition to PHEVs that still offer the longer range while offering enough battery power for most daily commutes.

Since I'm a Tesla stockholder - I'd actually prefer to be wrong here - but I'm far from certain this will be the case unless and until we see breakthroughs for battery pack tech and charging times, even recognizing these deciding factors are the exception (road trips) and not the rule (daily commutes).
Not many can drive 8 hrs straight. When I was at Umass, I drove from Amherst, MA to Chicago, Michigan couple of times, St. Louis, and other places, could never drove 8 hrs straight (had ICE back in 2007); at least for me was risky. I was stopping at every 200-250 miles for a coffee and toilet. Not sure, how two people can be okay without using toilet for straight 8 hours; never heard but the world is full of mysteries. Now, I have MY LR and can drive about 250 miles in winter/summer in a single shot which is about 3.5-4 hrs. Even if I stop for coffee, restroom, and a sandwich, thats about 20-30 mins which is good enough for another 200-250 miles. I had driven 50,000 miles on Teslas, and charging during the trip was least of my concern; and I have 2 kids (2 and 7).

Let me give a real world example. Every year we vacation in North Myrtle Beach. It's 600 miles one way. Our truck can go 600 miles without stopping since we have a 33 gallon tank. That's about an eight hour drive each way. Using our 2023 MY LR - we'd have to charge roughly every 200 miles (at most) - or three charging sessions - at 30 minutes each (at least). That's 1.5 hours of charge time vs zero. We are both in our early 50s and make this treck every year - and seldom do we stop - and if we do - it's at a Wawa for a quick sandwich grab and then back on the road. Going from eight hours up to 9.5 hours (at best), is meaningful to us, such that we take our truck instead.

ABRP shows roughly one hour of charging needed and 9 hours of driving. If you drive faster or shorter distance you will get to eight hours driving and perhaps less charging if distance is shorter.

With an EV if you can charge at your destination you will save time otherwise spent filling the gas, but the trip extends only by 1 hour and the trip might become more enjoyable overall.

I get what you're saying - and we do use our BEV for weekend getaways where we're only traveling 2-3 hours one way or within 150 miles of home, and we even took our BEV on a trip last fall that was 5-6 hours and roughly 275 miles each way, and only had to stop to charge once for roughly 35-40 minutes to charge back up to 90% to make the last leg of the trip.

Wheen tripping it's good to leave at 100% and arrive at your destination quite low if you have destination charging. In unexpected situations you can always hypermile if needed.

We ended up eating at a Chipotle that was adjacent to the charging station. If we had taken our truck - we would have driven straight through without stopping - saving roughly 45 minutes in the process. So we've done it both ways. As a beta early adopter I'm OK with it - and my wife is OK with it - but I'm far from certain more traditional buyers will be OK with these scenarios in comparison. If this is the case - then these buyers simply won't take the plunge, even if it costs them more to drive and maintain ICE vehicles - or they will simply transition to PHEVs that still offer the longer range while offering enough battery power for most daily commutes.

I would like more range, theoretically, but having driven M3LR for few years, I realise that a bigger battery would simply be waste to carry it around the 98% time I don't need it. A range extender trailer would be nice (use it at home as a powerwall), or much faster charging would also be nice.

OP here. This thread is about pricing predictions for Model X. Here are my current guesses:

- Tesla wants to keep the $7500 EV tax credit, especially point-of-sale. So prices will NOT go up higher than $80K on X base model with base paint.
- Tesla raised the non-gray paint prices to slow down the X orders for a few weeks so far. What are they up to? Maybe the S/X factory is going through updates/downtime. New steering wheel? Front bumper camera? More sound deadening material? New plaid seats? LED cabin lighting? Maybe. Seems weird for them to raise paint prices. Maybe they want to discourage X sales temporarily and encourage people to buy up the old Y inventory before a Y refresh?
- My best guess is that there is a broad price drop ($5K?) coming across all S and X, where the X base still gets tax credit with any color. I thought it would happen already, but maybe waiting until after Earnings, maybe Thursday night? I hope we don't have to wait until March. Interest rates are still high and raw materials costs like Lithium getting cheaper, so I think this price drop is coming.
Yes please 🙏

I sure hope so. I am currently only considering a base model X because it's eligible for the IRA federal tax credit.
Well, we know for a fact that Tesla has made mention of new efficiency packages for the S/X lines - so best guess is that we're waiting to see what the efficiency packages have to offer with respect to boosting ranges back up to what they were prior to the recent EPA changes that lowered EPA range estimates for various models. Perhaps they will sneak in some other changes at the same time?
That would be really good to see - but I'm not convinced. I'd certainly like to be able to choose a different color other than gray - especially given our current MY LR is MSM which is basically the same as the new gray color - not a fan of having to vehicles with the same color. I'd also like to be able to upgrade to the white interior ideally - yet still stay under 80k. That said, I'm not going to hold my breath! :cool:

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
Not many can drive 8 hrs straight. When I was at Umass, I drove from Amherst, MA to Chicago, Michigan couple of times, St. Louis, and other places, could never drove 8 hrs straight (had ICE back in 2007); at least for me was risky. I was stopping at every 200-250 miles for a coffee and toilet. Not sure, how two people can be okay without using toilet for straight 8 hours; never heard but the world is full of mysteries.
I'm betting you sleep eight hours every day - do you get up every 2-3 hours to go to the bathroom? Even in my early 50's, I sleep through the night just fine without having to do so. Lots of roadtrips we don't stop and if we do - we're in and out within 5-10 minutes. Perhaps we're of German descent with this in mind - but we are destination oriented on roadtrips - we want to get where we're going as quickly as possible - we're not really interested in the journey so to speak. We generally don't have any issues driving straight through on an eight hour road trip - with maybe one quick stop for 5-10 minutes at most at a convenience store like Wawa or Sheetz or Royal Farms.
Now, I have MY LR and can drive about 250 miles in winter/summer in a single shot which is about 3.5-4 hrs. Even if I stop for coffee, restroom, and a sandwich, thats about 20-30 mins which is good enough for another 200-250 miles. I had driven 50,000 miles on Teslas, and charging during the trip was least of my concern; and I have 2 kids (2 and 7).
It's amazing to me how long these supposed stops are that last 20-30 minutes for coffee, pee, and a sandwich pickup. When we do this, we order ahead using our Wawa app - so our food is ready upon arrival - and we're in and out within 5-10 minutes - and if I want to top off the truck - I do so in that same 5-10 minute window. We've literally never spent more than 10 minutes doing this in twenty years of road trips. With kids it's a different story I think, as kids tend to slow things up IME. We have grown children and no longer travel with them as a result - or they drive themselves these days if we're on a family vacation.

Big picture all I'm saying is that I think the more traditional automotive consumer is not going to adapt their habits and preferences like most early adopters have - that's all I'm saying - and I think we'll see a slow down in BEV adoption as a result.

ABRP shows roughly one hour of charging needed and 9 hours of driving. If you drive faster or shorter distance you will get to eight hours driving and perhaps less charging if distance is shorter.
I don't tend to find ABRP accurate for charging times overall. Here's what the Tesla trip planner says:

1706035120254.png

These are more realistic charging times that also provide some buffer in the event you hit traffic for example - and aren't running on fumes with SoC under 20%.

With an EV if you can charge at your destination you will save time otherwise spent filling the gas, but the trip extends only by 1 hour and the trip might become more enjoyable overall.
Our destination doesn't have destination chargers unfortunately. BEV chargers in general aren't very common in the North Myrtle Beach area IME - there's literally only one SC station in the entirely of NMB:

1706035383600.png

When tripping it's good to leave at 100% and arrive at your destination quite low if you have destination charging. In unexpected situations you can always hypermile if needed.
We always charge up to 100% before leaving in road trips - but that only helps for the first leg of the trip, and with no destination charging available - it means we have to arrive with some range left.
I would like more range, theoretically, but having driven M3LR for few years, I realise that a bigger battery would simply be waste to carry it around the 98% time I don't need it. A range extender trailer would be nice (use it at home as a powerwall), or much faster charging would also be nice.
That'd be an interesting option for sure. IMHO while more range would be nice - I think it would actually be more ideal to have much faster charging times. If we would only have to stop for 5-10 minutes to charge up to 80-90% - that'd alleviate most of our issues on longer road trips and I think it would alleviate most concerns for more traditional automotive buyers as well. It's the 30-45 minute charging stops that scare off most buyers IME.