Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

preheat for supercharging without nav?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone figure out a way to preheat the battery without getting into the car? I'm only 5 mins from the supercharger, so it doesn't have much time to preheat when I drive there, so I only charge at 30kW for the first 30 minutes as it gradually warms and increases to 50kW. I would love to preheat the battery while it sits at home for 30 minutes before driving to the charger. Is there any way to do this manually? I can send the address to the car but it won't preheat until I get in, and if I start it preheating and then leave the car to let it warm up it stops heating the battery when I get out. It's kind of annoying!

Home charging FTW!!!

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Did anyone figure out a way to preheat the battery without getting into the car? I'm only 5 mins from the supercharger, so it doesn't have much time to preheat when I drive there, so I only charge at 30kW for the first 30 minutes as it gradually warms and increases to 50kW. I would love to preheat the battery while it sits at home for 30 minutes before driving to the charger. Is there any way to do this manually? I can send the address to the car but it won't preheat until I get in, and if I start it preheating and then leave the car to let it warm up it stops heating the battery when I get out. It's kind of annoying!
I have the same question. I do not have home charging for my 2022MS. I am one minute from an Electrify America station and 4 miles from a Tesla supercharger.

It’s not perfect, but the Stats app has a “smart battery prep” feature where it’ll temporarily bump up charging target % so the battery starts warming up, and then turns it back down once warmed.

Obviously this isn’t the exact same - and only helps while plugged in - but it’s something at least.

I have the same question. I do not have home charging for my 2022MS. I am one minute from an Electrify America station and 4 miles from a Tesla supercharger.

A couple of minutes isn’t nearly long enough to precondition for fast charging. A 1,000 pound battery pack takes 30-60 minutes to come up to a temperature that’s suitable for full-speed charging.

I went to Tesla today and they answered my question. And there is more than one answer. But the easiest way is this:
Let's say it's 1 o'clock and you're at home. Go to schedule and set precondition to 1:15 PM. You should be fully preconditioned by 145 or 2pm. In the future I will try this and if that doesn't work I will update this thread. Also, I was told that there is no need to precondition if you are going to utilize slow charging.

I went to Tesla today and they answered my question. And there is more than one answer. But the easiest way is this:
Let's say it's 1 o'clock and you're at home. Go to schedule and set precondition to 1:15 PM. You should be fully preconditioned by 145 or 2pm. In the future I will try this and if that doesn't work I will update this thread. Also, I was told that there is no need to precondition if you are going to utilize slow charging.

Preconditioning through the app will heat the battery up to about 10°C, while navigating to a supercharger heats it up to 50°C. Big difference.

Just preheat the cabine and you will see a little red icon (SSS) on the left side of the battery icon telling that the battery is warming up and you will get 100% regen.

View attachment 769661View attachment 769662
Preconditioning the battery for a dtive most certainly do not even heat the battery even close to the temperatures used for supercharging.

While i never logged or checked an old tesla, I did it for 2.5 yrs on my 21 M3P and the new MSP ’23 I have.

For both these, a preconditioning for a drive only heats the battery if it is not already at +5 C or above. When it heats, it only heats to about +5C.

A complete preconditioning for supercharging on a SuC V3 prehears the battery to 48C.
The difference is huge.

I went to Tesla again today and talked to the service writer about preconditioning. I had hoped you could precondition the car for super charging at home without driving the car. That is not the case and you have to drive the car at least 30 minutes or more. Thank you to those that corrected my earlier post.

Reactions: AAKEE
I went to Tesla again today and talked to the service writer about preconditioning. I had hoped you could precondition the car for super charging at home without driving the car. That is not the case and you have to drive the car at least 30 minutes or more. Thank you to those that corrected my earlier post.
The third party software S3XY Buttons can activate the preheat ok a button. (Needs a S3XY kit with hardware).

The Plaid can activate the dragstrip mode, which heat the battery quite close to the pre-supercharging temperature.

The third party software S3XY Buttons can activate the preheat ok a button. (Needs a S3XY kit with hardware).

The Plaid can activate the dragstrip mode, which heat the battery quite close to the pre-supercharging temperature.
Are the S3XY buttons able to do that with a 1st gen Model S? The product page only lists 3/Y and the Palladium S/X (2021+) as compatible.

That said even if the S3XY buttons don't have any firmware for OG Model S, maybe there's still a way to do it via CANBus. I've got a dev board with 2x CANBus interfaces on it lying around somewhere from a long ago car project... (pre-Model S)