TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Preheating/cooling the cabin sans app

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Raven, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Raven

Raven Member

I'm simply looking for the best way to preheat/cool the cabin(no regen considerations, etc.). Since we don't have the app yet, what's the best way to do this? If we walk away from the car with the key in our pocket, doesn't the car go to sleep? It wouldn't be a big deal to leave the key inside the car while it's in my garage but I'm not going to leave the key behind if it's sitting outside. Is there a simple solution I'm missing?

2. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

Leave the door slightly ajar (just close to the first click)

3. Raven

Raven Member

Well that was easy, although the app would be easier. Are there any issues as to whether it's plugged in or not?

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

No, it always works. I do this frequently both plugged and not.

5. Raven

Raven Member

Next question....if you have the door latched on the first click, can you lock the car and prevent the door from being opened, meanwhile conditioning the cabin? We had a high of -10F today so it's been on my mind. This app can't come soon enough.

6. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

This method works for me:

1. Unplug car.
    2. Push and hold brake to power car on.
    3. Put the car in neutral.
    4. Using the touchscreen, put the car in park.
    5. Turn on the climate control. The car can now be locked and empty with the climate control on.

You may also have to turn off the headlights if they are on auto and it's dark. The sound system and screens stay on.
    I didn't test if the car could be plugged back in.