Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love an option to tether my phone LTE connection to the car similar to wifi. If we create a wifi hotspot will it work ? I would rather transmit through my Bluetooth connection. No need to pay for data twice if I don't have to. Let's recommend this as a feature.

Now we really need Android auto and Apple Carplay like I've been advocating :)

Reactions: pwykes
It had been speculated that to keep our premium connectivity package Tesla would charge $100 a year. But, I got an email from them saying they want $9.99 a month ($119.88 a year). This kind of rubs me the wrong way, especially since I paid a premium for my AWD LR Model 3. Some might say the almost $20 more a year isn't that much. Maybe, but remember that subscription based anything, always ends up with increases every year. And part of the reason I bought a Tesla, was to lower my overall cost to drive.

Last I heard Elon said it would be around a $100 year. I think $9.99 is a bargain and thrilled Elon was true to his word again.

Both GM and FCA (Chrysler/Fiat) want way more and you get way less.

I doubt it will go up for a while.

Where do I sign up.

I am not upset about the charge for premium connectivity. I have been expecting it. Given my delivery date, I got three free months. My criticism is that, unlike most subscription services, we do not have an option for a discounted yearly subscription. I would rather pay a flat yearly fee, than seeing Tesla ding my credit card account every month. Hopefully, in the future we will have that option.

Same thoughts here. I don't have an issue with $10 a month (about the same as a tablet data plan) but I would prefer a yearly fee instead of per month....

I thought premium connectivity was supposed to be free? Attached my order info and thought the $5k premium upgrades was supposed to have live traffic and streaming. I didn't get an email for ours but my parents got the same car and have to pay.

It was always going to be a paid subscription. The trial was supposed to end awhile ago but obviously it took them longer then expected to build the back end for this service. I took a test drive in June 2018 of a long range and was told about the subscription service being around $100 a month.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and Matt L
I subscribed since OnStar Navigation for my 2016 Volt is $12/month or $120/year ($20 discount for Annual billing). I know there is no direct comparison of features, but I also wish Tesla had the annual billing option. When I took delivery on 12/5/18, I was warned by the staff the $100/year was only an estimation since they had no actual pricing information. Traffic info is a must for me ....

Reactions: zackmd1
I’ve had these features since V10 minus live traffic visualization and satellite maps. Wish they’d just push those last two ahead of the renewal since I subscribed.
Why do they say we have traffic and satellite view in the trial? We don't have it in our SR+ (we have the streaming).
How can I be certain if we pay for Premium that we'll get the traffic and satellite? I would really like to see how the traffic data is displayed before I spring for Premium...

For those of that bought in 2018 when the tax credit was higher, we did pay a premium. Sure we got that back with the tax credit, but Tesla still got extra money from us.

In addition, I don't understand why Tesla is charging for Traffic Updates. This is included for free with every other car I've purchased in the last 10 years and is free on Google Maps, Apple CarPlay etc... I can understand requiring to use my own data... but that is not an option and I'm sure that map downloads use more data than traffic updates.

Basically the only way to get smart navigation and traffic updates is to pay $9.99 a month when Ford, Mercedes, BMW, etc... offer this for free. My Mercedes I believe is free for 5 years, but even after that I could just use Apple CarPlay which has traffic built in.
Can you be fair and list all the things your Tesla has that those other cars don’t have?

• Disagree
Reactions: Led Jetson
I subscribed and checked my SR+ this morning and don't see a change either. I'm going to give it a few days. The car is definitely capable of supporting satellite maps - I had them for the first week or two that I had the car before they went away after a software update. I'm guessing we might need another update (or there's just a few days delay) for them to come back. But if satellite + live traffic was not included then I'll probably drop the subscription. Worst case, I am out $10 for a month.