Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Front Console worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really thinking about getting the Premium Front console from Tesla. What is the overall consensus on this? And does anyone recommend anything else? And lastly how's the experience ordering and having it installed prior to delivery?

Thanks!:cool:

I like mine because of the iPhone charger dock. I had it installed a couple of weeks after delivery. Had to leave my car for a few hours, they gave me a loaner and when I came back had washed my car and all! Only time it's ever been to the service center

OP, you may want to also do a quick search on this subject... Plenty of threads with basically the same discussion and pros and cons cited in each one.

Net for me is I like the Tesla center console. It is limited in colors, but I put my own carbon wrap (cost $6 from Amazon and took me 20 minutes to do) over the glossy piano black and it's now a close match to my interior carbon trim. I ordered the console the day after I ordered my MS. It was installed and in place the day I brought my MS home 5 weeks later.

Evannex has an aftermarket version you can also explore. It has more color options and some people like it better for various reasons.

I bought my car private party and it came with the evanex console installed, took it out after a week because i did not like it at all. Drove without a console for about 6 months and just got my official tesla console installed and i couldn't be happier. it looks so good.

We had the box solution for about two years. They always looked unorganized, sort of like looking into someone's waste basket. Or a junk drawer. Maybe we just aren't neat enough, but bottles and tubes and kleenex, glasses, etc. laying out all the time, sort of detract from the neat futuristic layout of the car.

Got the Premium Console. All of a sudden, neatness. Like walking into someone's bedroom with bed unmade, clothes on the floor, or bed made, things put away. MUCH better.

But, of course, that's just us. You may like the laissez faire look. We thought it was worth it. Enough so that with the new S, the console was installed before we picked it up.

My only hesitancy in ordering the console is covering up the beautiful Matte Obeche yacht floor. Can you see the yacht floor through the console at any point?

Not really without a flashlight, assuming you don't put anything in the large storage area of the console, which is honesty, most of its purpose. You get to make a hard decision... Love the look of that yacht floor, or enjoy an uncluttered life with the console and the trim you still have on your dash. ;)

I love mine and use it every day. Finally somewhere to put things. The price is ridiculous. $200: OK. $650: come on!!! I looked at the EVAnnex (same absurd price) one too and thought the Tesla was much more attractive and useful. It has a huge amount of space under the sliding top. I have seen a few DIYs and other solutions that look like they work well. But I think they don't look up to snuff compared to the interior. Just my OCD opinion.

Oh, and to answer GasKilla's question:

-The area under the flip down cover is great for my sunglass clip ons, parking garage ticket things and other stuff that doesn't really move around while driving. I actually leave that area open all the time. I have never closed it except to see that it works. Just a useful space that is close to hand and easy to pick something up without looking, like my clips. The charge port for my phone is nice, though I rarely need it.
-I like that I can close the sliding cover to hide whatever I have down in there. I actually carry almost nothing in my cabin. I like things spartan, clean and organized.
-The space under the slider is just plain huge, as mentioned above. I goes surprisingly far forward. I can fit my DSLR with a long lens in there, not problem...and close it. Very handy for a photog.
- The adjustable cup holder thingys are very convenient. I have one spaced for my 1 litre water bottle and the other spaced to fit a nice plastic jar that I use for small trash. I am a gum chewer and have to put it somewhere...seeing used gum is not up to Miss Tess' standards!
-Visually, it fits perfectly with the rest of the car.

Hope this helps those on the fence. I still think the price is insulting.

Last edited:
my MS is still in production, but I already ordered the Tesla console, to make sure it is received and installed before taking delivery. I had the opportunity to take 2 different test drives before ordering, by coincidence one car with and the other without the console so I was able to get a close look at it, and to try to imagine life with and without it.

Yes, the price is ridiculous. The car (especially at its high price) really should just come with it, the minimalistic design of the interior was taken just a bit too far IMO

I don't keep too much stuff in my car, but I cannot imagine being happy with that big void without the console and the few things I do need just rattling around loose.
It was either order it now in advance (and try not to think about the cost), or know that I'd just eventually order it later and have to go back to the SC for installation.

I'm really thinking about getting the Premium Front console from Tesla. What is the overall consensus on this? And does anyone recommend anything else? And lastly how's the experience ordering and having it installed prior to delivery?

Thanks!:cool:
Did not think I would need it so drove the car for 1 year and got tired of how empty and messy it looked so had one installed and now wonder why I did not do it from day one, love it.

I love mine and use it every day. Finally somewhere to put things. The price is ridiculous. $200: OK. $650: come on!!! I looked at the EVAnnex (same absurd price) one too and thought the Tesla was much more attractive and useful. It has a huge amount of space under the sliding top. I have seen a few DIYs and other solutions that look like they work well. But I think they don't look up to snuff compared to the interior. Just my OCD opinion.

Oh, and to answer GasKilla's question:

-The area under the flip down cover is great for my sunglass clip ons, parking garage ticket things and other stuff that doesn't really move around while driving. I actually leave that area open all the time. I have never closed it except to see that it works. Just a useful space that is close to hand and easy to pick something up without looking, like my clips. The charge port for my phone is nice, though I rarely need it.
-I like that I can close the sliding cover to hide whatever I have down in there. I actually carry almost nothing in my cabin. I like things spartan, clean and organized.
-The space under the slider is just plain huge, as mentioned above. I goes surprisingly far forward. I can fit my DSLR with a long lens in there, not problem...and close it. Very handy for a photog.
- The adjustable cup holder thingys are very convenient. I have one spaced for my 1 litre water bottle and the other spaced to fit a nice plastic jar that I use for small trash. I am a gum chewer and have to put it somewhere...seeing used gum is not up to Miss Tess' standards!
-Visually, it fits perfectly with the rest of the car.

Hope this helps those on the fence. I still think the price is insulting.
Thanks for the information, might have to test drive another one with the console in it ... my car is on order ... the bottle holder felt flimsy on the one car I investigated. Might see if I can live without it or perhaps the price will drop.