Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Pack - what do you actually get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about whether there was a period where dash alcantara was only in the premium interior, but from Sept 2014, black alcantara on the dash was included when ordering the alcantara headliner (regardless of color). This continues to remain today.

Love it. If science got hold of where Gyro meat came from they would stop it tasting so good.

- - - Updated - - -

And so, after reading this, I had to google alcantara, and found this:

A common myth about Alcantara is that it's made from the skin of the wild Alcantar — a llama/ostrich hybrid from the borderlands between Peru and Greece whose massive thigh haunches are used to make those huge cones of gyro meat.
A little bit of research proves that this isn't true, since not only is the animal fictitious, but Peru and Greece don't seem to share a border. And science doesn't yet actually know where gyro meat comes from. The actual truth is far more shocking: Alcantara is basically Ultrasuede.
Yes, Ultrasuede. The name "Ultrasuede" has a sort of Disco-decadent 70s sort of feel, so it's not too surprising that luxury car makers aren't too eager to use that term in their advertising. In fact, aside from "Corinthian leather," I can't think of a seat-upholstery material that feels more '70s.

Love it. If science got hold of where Gyro meat came from they would stop it tasting so good.

Okay so I visited a Tesla showroom earlier today and drove the 70D which was just as good as the 85D in my opinion and felt lighter.

I was told that the Premium Package is currently listed at the wrong price and Tesla will be reducing it down to $3k or so within the next few days.

The Premium Package has the following:-

1. Power lift gate
2. Ambient lighting (this is just an LED strip of lighting in the front doors and I think near the rear floor area.) - very basic really and not worth more than $20 if you ask me.
3. Fog and cornering lights. See attached photo of with and without
4. Additional chrome features on exterior - you have chrome fins where the fog light are attached and you have a long chrome piece at the rear bottom of the car (see attached pics).
5. Alcantara inside on door pillars, ceiling and 50% of dashboard. (choice of black or beige)
6. LED light on handles
chrome rear piece.jpg
Fog lights with chrome fins.jpg
without chrome.jpg
no chrome fins.jpg

I also checked out the manual trunk and its not that bad and has two handled in the inside to close the trunk. I personally still like the power lift gate but you could do without this feature. However if the price does change to $3k or so then I feel its worth having for re-sale value.

Okay so I visited a Tesla showroom earlier today and drove the 70D which was just as good as the 85D in my opinion and felt lighter.

I was told that the Premium Package is currently listed at the wrong price and Tesla will be reducing it down to $3k or so within the next few days.

1. Power lift gate
2. Ambient lighting (this is just an LED strip of lighting in the front doors and I think near the rear floor area.) - very basic really and not worth more than $20 if you ask me.
3. Fog and cornering lights. See attached photo of with and without
4. Additional chrome features on exterior - you have chrome fins where the fog light are attached and you have a long chrome piece at the rear bottom of the car (see attached pics).
5. Alcantara inside on door pillars, ceiling and 50% of dashboard. (choice of black or beige)
6. LED light on handles
.View attachment 77607View attachment 77608View attachment 77610View attachment 77609

I also checked out the manual trunk and its not that bad and has two handled in the inside to close the trunk. I personally still like the power lift gate but you could do without this feature. However if the price does change to $3k or so then I feel its worth having for re-sale value.

Yes, I just spoke with customer service and premium package is going to be 3k and website will reflect it soon.

Based on your post , it may still not be worth 3k but definitely better than 5k.

For every one person complaining about the cost of this package, there are thousands more rejoicing in the announcement that turn by turn GPS is not included for free in the basic car.

Believe that in order to get the power hatch lift, you have always needed to purchase an entire package, that often included items you may or may not have wished to purchase.

For every one person complaining about the cost of this package, there are thousands more rejoicing in the announcement that turn by turn GPS is not included for free in the basic car.

Believe that in order to get the power hatch lift, you have always needed to purchase an entire package, that often included items you may or may not have wished to purchase.

Turn by turn GPS is not included? Do you mean now included?

The chrome pieces vchada cited appear to be what's always been part of the tech package. Almost all Teslas have it now as almost all cars have the tech package. Soon it will be less common as most new cars won't be ordered with the premium package.

Thankyou so much for this info and the pics

1. Power lift gate
3. Fog and cornering lights.
6. LED light on handle

also
leather trim on door panels?
leather trim on lower dash?

any change to lighting in the trunk or frunk?
any other trim changes?

So it is, 2500GBP.
Notice the P85D now loses the Alcantara headliner as standard, only available with pack.
Makes sense.
Well done Tesla for responding so quickly.

Warm silver renamed Titanium too. Old blue is now gone as I refreshed the page and Ocean blue is Deep Blue.They must be reading these forums. We'll have to start changing consultancy soon.

Last edited:
But I add it and even though below the package price it says "Includes your choice of Alcantara headliner" it charged another $750 for the headliner.

I mentioned in another thread that the white and black alcantara are priced, inexplicably, at $750 and $1,500 respectively. Perhaps that's why it is jacking the price up another $750.

However, I just tried the design studio now and it's fixed. Weird.

And I see you can't order Alcantara separately anymore too.

Anybody tried asking their Tesla Centre if the powered liftgate can be fitted by the Centre separately?
(like the 2nd charger option)

Be interested if someone could find out please.

I asked today in Costa Mesa. Answer: "I don't know" Not too helpful, but at least honest.

- - - Updated - - -

Reality check here:

Only if you make sudden stops from going 70mph....in reverse.

HeHe

Maybe MsElectric meant when you launch a P85D?

I heard that during a launch, anything loose flies backward in the car (ok, technically remains in place as the car accelerates past it) and will be plastered to the seat backs until the car reaches full speed, then falls down onto the seats.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the pics.

I'm glad to hear that. Did you get a chance to try acceleration from 60+ mph (100kph) to see how it would do while overtaking on the highway?

Last edited: