Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium seats - my back isn’t happy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I’m hoping someone here who has had a similar problem can offer advice. The long and short of it is I have a late 2017 Model S with the premium seats, and by the end of my 35 min commute to and from work, my upper back is really aching. I don’t know what it is about these seats. They are narrow and heavily bolstered but I’m not really overweight, 5’10” and 180 lbs. The seat seems to force my shoulder blades forward which I think is the issue with the upper back pain. They don’t bother my lower back. I’ve tried a few different cushions, including the much-lauded sacro-ease, no dice. Still hurts. Anybody have the same issue and found a solution? Thanks for any tips.

Perhaps you have a lumbar support pushed out too far? It’s adjusted with that 4-way pad besides the seat controls. Not sure if it’s just me but my upper back gets tired if I have the lumbar support pushed out.

Side note: I’m too young to have real back problems so please ignore if I sound dumb :p

There are a lot of adjustments to these seats. I hope you continue to work on adjusting it to suit your back. I tend to sit with them more reclined and low to fit my comfort level. I wonder if the steering wheel is telescoped out enough for you? Or if adjusting it might help in concert to adjusting your seat.

Last edited:
I struggled to get comfy and spent a continuous couple of weeks changing settings (saving my profile each time in case is wa me the right setting) and for me I found I need to reduce the lumber supports all the way, I.e. not use it, tilt the whole seat back so the front raises and takes weight of the legs a bit and put the back of the seat more upright than I normally would. Seems much better but has taken a lot of adjustment, hope you find your optimal setting.
I have the head rest at the highest setting, am 6’ 2”, but find it’s not high enough and I still feel the bottom of it sometimes between my shoulders but not enough to worry.

Thanks for the replies. I have been constantly messing with the adjustments and still cannot find a comfortable position. Telescoping the wheel towards me so I’m not reaching for the steering wheel helped a little. As I said I feel like the side bolsters go up very high and are pushing my shoulder blades forward so I’m in a hunched position, and giving me pain in upper back. I never have had such a problem with a car seat. Just searched the web again and saw this Gokhale method website and their discussion on car bucket seats seems to exactly describe what I’m experiencing. Guess I’m ordering yet another back cushion, number five now.

Thanks for the replies. I have been constantly messing with the adjustments and still cannot find a comfortable position. Telescoping the wheel towards me so I’m not reaching for the steering wheel helped a little. As I said I feel like the side bolsters go up very high and are pushing my shoulder blades forward so I’m in a hunched position, and giving me pain in upper back. I never have had such a problem with a car seat. Just searched the web again and saw this Gokhale method website and their discussion on car bucket seats seems to exactly describe what I’m experiencing. Guess I’m ordering yet another back cushion, number five now.

I too found the premium seats extremely uncomfortable after about 30 minutes or so. I finally found a positioning guide that helped a ton (I'm 6' and 275lbs FWIW):

How to Adjust Seating to the Proper Position While Driving

Specifically the notes about the proper gap between seat and knees and keeping a straight line/flat angle from knees to hips.

It turns out I was sitting *far* too low in the car with recline happening largely due to the seat pan tilting back, rather than a flat seat pan with a more inclined back. Basically what "felt" right as I sat down and adjusted entirely on feel was very wrong in terms of ergonomics, which was unlike other cars I've owned.

• Helpful
Reactions: unbelievable
I also thought I was the only one that had this issue. Before ordering my May 2017 Model S, I sat in a couple with premium seats. The seats were incredibly uncomfortable around the neck area. I’m quite tall at 6’9” so I worried that there wasn’t a way I could comfortably drive this car. Believe it or not, the fabric seats (whatever they called non-premium back then) are totally different. Instead of the headrest feeling like it’s cutting into your back the seats are very comfortable. Very happy with the seats I chose and I cringed the last time I got a loaner with “premium” seats.

Hi all, I’m hoping someone here who has had a similar problem can offer advice. The long and short of it is I have a late 2017 Model S with the premium seats, and by the end of my 35 min commute to and from work, my upper back is really aching. I don’t know what it is about these seats. They are narrow and heavily bolstered but I’m not really overweight, 5’10” and 180 lbs. The seat seems to force my shoulder blades forward which I think is the issue with the upper back pain. They don’t bother my lower back. I’ve tried a few different cushions, including the much-lauded sacro-ease, no dice. Still hurts. Anybody have the same issue and found a solution? Thanks for any tips.

Had same issue with my Model Y driver’s seat — impossible to get a comfortable driving position. Doesn’t happen in rentals (Toyota, Honda, Ford) that I’ve driven after getting the Tesla. You are correct, the combination of shoulders being forced forward and stiff steering contributes to upper back and neck strain. I’ve tried to place a cylindrical makeshift “cushion” between my shoulder blades and that does seem to help somewhat. Another option is a slimmer neck pillow placed right above the upper back but this has been hit and miss. Of course strain is less when I’m on autopilot so it’s not just the seat but stiffer steering as well. Tesla should recall and install better seats.

I too found the premium seats extremely uncomfortable after about 30 minutes or so. I finally found a positioning guide that helped a ton (I'm 6' and 275lbs FWIW):

How to Adjust Seating to the Proper Position While Driving

Specifically the notes about the proper gap between seat and knees and keeping a straight line/flat angle from knees to hips.

It turns out I was sitting *far* too low in the car with recline happening largely due to the seat pan tilting back, rather than a flat seat pan with a more inclined back. Basically what "felt" right as I sat down and adjusted entirely on feel was very wrong in terms of ergonomics, which was unlike other cars I've owned.
That article may have good advice but the headrest advice may be dangerous. It’s not there to rest your head it’s to prevent injury in a rear end collision. It should be high, and far forward. Your body rises in a rear elder and if too low you’ll lose the benefit. It should contact much higher on your skill than most people think. I suggest doing internet research for exact details.