Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

President of GM taught us what it takes for EV to go mainstream

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Public charging infrastructure is only a small part of the over all charging solution. Meier stores have realized that providing a charging solution for their customers has a two-sided benefit. Like some of the large grocery stores across the country that offer cheap gas for shopping at their stores.

I think there needs to be more information provided to the business sectors, restaurants, theaters, amusement parks, shopping centers, hotels and any other business where people spend 30 -60 minutes, regarding the benefits of having charging stations (destination charging) for their customers.

Make it free or at cost to the customer. I worked in Columbia SC for 6 months. I charged at night with the 120vt outside convenience outlets (4 ml/hr) and at the local Whole Foods using their level 2 charger while I shopped, all free. Yes there was a SC in Columbia 15 miles from my apartment, but I did not need it. There was a level 2 charger at the local library 1/2 mile from my apartment and never used that either.

Businesses need to be educated as to the financial merits of offering charging access for their customers. I worked for a local electrical contractor for a few months. They had a level 2 charger in their parking lot for the one hybrid Cadillac that the company owned. The owner asked me how the Tesla was working out. I gave him a brief history of my nearly 200k miles of driving and charging. I learned last month that they had recently taken delivery of 3 Model 3's for their employees and installed 3 HPWC in the parking lot.

My new employer was very curious about the charging issue. The other day he wondered where my car was parked and I informed him that it was in the back plugged into the 120 outlet. If I am in the office for the day (8 hrs), then I plug in. Gets me 25 miles for free.

I see EV charging as a marketing opportunity for businesses!!

The one aspect I like when long distance traveling in my Tesla is knowing in-advance where I will be stopping and for how long. And with the increase in the number of available SC's, I can alter my route without serious consequences.

but they don’t, even on road trips on long holiday weekends, people choose to sit in long lines and get frustrated in order to save 5 cents a gallon. The often said, “I can fill up in 5 minutes” advantage is often not taken.

I think you exaggerate the few locations where people wait in line for gas and the time they spend waiting, especially loading your comment with the term "frustrated". Is that a bit of projection from waiting to charge your Tesla?

When fills are only 5 minutes every pump in the station turns every 5 minutes. If you are 10 in line at a 10 stall Supercharger station you are waiting at least 30 minutes and likely longer. Worse, there will be a big difference pulling into a stall paired with someone who is just starting to charge at a high rate vs. someone nearing the end at a low rate and you have no good way to tell which stall to pick. Not even mentioning the frequency of Supercharger stalls being broken in one way or the other.

There are many ways charging at a Supercharger is very inconvenient compared to filling a gas tank at a Wawa. That's just a natural fact and there is no point trying to compare the two in terms of convenience.

Public charging infrastructure is only a small part of the over all charging solution. Meier stores have realized that providing a charging solution for their customers has a two-sided benefit. Like some of the large grocery stores across the country that offer cheap gas for shopping at their stores.

It's not quite the same thing. To get the small discount on gas you have to actually spend money and the discount is proportional to how much you have spent. So it is a direct incentive to spend money in a store. The chargers are more of a convenience and aren't specific to the stores since they mostly share a location with other shops.

I think there needs to be more information provided to the business sectors, restaurants, theaters, amusement parks, shopping centers, hotels and any other business where people spend 30 -60 minutes, regarding the benefits of having charging stations (destination charging) for their customers.

I agree 100% with that. It is still early days for EVs and no one really knows how the charging is going to play out. Commercial chargers are so expensive I don't use the pay units, but then I guess I can't since the Chademo adapter won't work with my car. There are plenty of free level 2 and even level 3 chargers about. Sometimes I have needed to rely on them to top me off to reach a Supercharger.

If a store has say, 20 level 2 chargers that are used most of the day that would be 12 hours * 20 * 6 kW = 1440 kWh per day. At $0.15 per that's $216 a day. Then it needs to be considered how many would try to take advantage of this and charge all day hogging a spot. I guess even if it's free, it could be tied to a timer or an account card or something.

Make it free or at cost to the customer. I worked in Columbia SC for 6 months. I charged at night with the 120vt outside convenience outlets (4 ml/hr) and at the local Whole Foods using their level 2 charger while I shopped, all free. Yes there was a SC in Columbia 15 miles from my apartment, but I did not need it. There was a level 2 charger at the local library 1/2 mile from my apartment and never used that either.

When I got my car there were no Superchargers on the route I usually drive. More than once I had to use a destination charger or worse a level 2 charger while waiting. That sucked!

Businesses need to be educated as to the financial merits of offering charging access for their customers. I worked for a local electrical contractor for a few months. They had a level 2 charger in their parking lot for the one hybrid Cadillac that the company owned. The owner asked me how the Tesla was working out. I gave him a brief history of my nearly 200k miles of driving and charging. I learned last month that they had recently taken delivery of 3 Model 3's for their employees and installed 3 HPWC in the parking lot.

Not just customers, but employees. I've read here how some Tesla owners have had good support from their employers, others some support (like using existing 120V outlets) and others just don't care. Same with apartments. Often they don't see an advantage to spending money to install equipment (which is not exactly cheap). I think with time they will figure out spending $10,000 to install a bunch of level 2 chargers will make them much more attractive to tenants.

Early days still, early days.

My new employer was very curious about the charging issue. The other day he wondered where my car was parked and I informed him that it was in the back plugged into the 120 outlet. If I am in the office for the day (8 hrs), then I plug in. Gets me 25 miles for free.

I see EV charging as a marketing opportunity for businesses!!

The one aspect I like when long distance traveling in my Tesla is knowing in-advance where I will be stopping and for how long. And with the increase in the number of available SC's, I can alter my route without serious consequences.[/QUOTE]

I think you exaggerate the few locations where people wait in line for gas and the time they spend waiting, especially loading your comment with the term "frustrated". Is that a bit of projection from waiting to charge your Tesla?

When fills are only 5 minutes every pump in the station turns every 5 minutes. If you are 10 in line at a 10 stall Supercharger station you are waiting at least 30 minutes and likely longer. Worse, there will be a big difference pulling into a stall paired with someone who is just starting to charge at a high rate vs. someone nearing the end at a low rate and you have no good way to tell which stall to pick. Not even mentioning the frequency of Supercharger stalls being broken in one way or the other.

There are many ways charging at a Supercharger is very inconvenient compared to filling a gas tank at a Wawa. That's just a natural fact and there is no point trying to compare the two in terms of convenience.

not denying it’s inherently slower, but it’s also an exaggeration to play five minute fill up games

surely you've noticed that in many locations, especially near major highways, and especially on big travel days, which is when folks experience Sc waits, that ice vehicles also experience waits. Many times in such situations it does not take “5 minutes” to fill up.

It is infrequent with my ICE over the last 50 years that I hardly recall the times it happens. In my Tesla it is a constant worry at two of the locations where I charge, not just holidays. And I'm not even in California! That's the difference.

No, you can try to minimize this issue as much as you want, but there is a huge difference in charging and filling up. I acknowledge that and mitigate it by having a meal when charging. In the ICE I eat in the car.