Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Press Conference July 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
official press invite copy can be seen here
https://transportevolved.com/2015/0...day-at-1800-utc-11am-pdt-is-this-the-model-x/

"We’ve reached out to Tesla ... Tesla is keen not to ‘steal Elon’s thunder’ on this particular announcement."
"..the call is a global one and will be relevant to ‘all markets,’ with regional specific information due after the conference for journalists in particular markets.
"
What happened to the regional specific information?

Interestingly, the Reuters article has the following info, but who knows where they got it from: "At the top of the series, Tesla will offer a 90kWh battery pack upgrade to the single-motor Model S 85 and the dual-motor 85D and P85D. Existing owners will pay about $5,000 for the upgrade."

I'm not too sure it would cost the A pack users more. The next few days will tell when the details trickle out.
Tesla also gets an advantage by getting the A packs off the road.

Ever the optimist, I'm hoping this is the battery upgrade program that Tesla (Jerome) promised us A pack owners when we discovered the supercharging limitation. Remember, back then, a new pack cost $45k. I've heard it's recently been in the $20k area. Still too rich. I'd be thrilled if upgrade cost were really $3k plus labor, but I suspect (as others have mentioned) there'll be a prorated trade-in - hopefully including an accommodation for A pack owners since we got mildly screwed. Nonetheless, if total cost is well <$10k, it will be a very attractive mid-life update for those of us who have 2012 cars. Come to think of it, I'm getting new drive unit next week. So, with a new battery, I'd virtually have a new car. Bring it on... or maybe wait for 100?

Well it is true. Can you please explain why it is such a big deal to some of us peons that don't understand this stuff. LOL :confused: Something about uping the amps from 1300 to 1500 ? or was that the new fuse that did that ?

Theoretically silicon anode tech could extend battery capacity at the same weight by up to 30%. In best case scenario. So MS 120 kWh might become possible when tech would be fully developed. A big question: silicon anode cells do tend to degrade much faster than graphite anode cells, have the Tesla/Panasonic managed to fully overcome this shortcoming? Or "partial silicon anode" is a bet that when silicon part would fail most of anode is graphite and so it would last longer that silicon part?

Lithium sulfur, Li-S, is a fundamentally more promising chemistry, it should be possible to create cells with much higher specific energy(gravimetric density) compared to li-ion with si anodes. And it could be much cheaper too, no need for expensive cobalt and nickel. But apparently Li-S is not ready for mass production yet. Anyhow, it will become available eventually.

Last edited:
Interestingly, the Reuters article has the following info, but who knows where they got it from: "At the top of the series, Tesla will offer a 90kWh battery pack upgrade to the single-motor Model S 85 and the dual-motor 85D and P85D. Existing owners will pay about $5,000 for the upgrade."

Which means 5,000$ instead of 3,000$ for new buyers?
Will wait for more details.

Partial silicon anodes? I see endless small upgrades in battery size on the way... I guess we have the tesla version of new models on an annual basis. Works for me. Especially as an investor.

Honestly now, I know I have drunk the koolaid, but this is the finest sedan on the road. All from a company that started mass producing three years ago. I guess they are maybe a year away from having closed on all the 'fancy' amenities advantage the legacy makers might still have at this point. Not necessary for me to proclaim my belief, best sedan ever made.

Shocking for me to see these century old car makers solidly in catch up mode. All they have is a steady stream of press releases for the future cars that will 'kill' today's Tesla. Or was that yesterday's Tesla? 2012's? Moving target indeed. My money's on Tesla.

Both the 85 and 85D are still there as options. The 90 pack is an add-on.

Looks like there is a bug though. I see the $3000 Range Upgrade option when viewing the 70D. Since it requires 85 kWh battery, that option should only be available for the 85 and 85D.

I guess clicking on that option when on the 70 does add it...but pushes you up to an 85 ($10k) plus $3k more to go to 90. Not the best user interface.

Last edited:
I would be interested to see if there are a lot of existing 85 cars opting to upgrade to 90kwh batteries, that it may create a glut of used 85kwh batteries for value buyers such as myself. Therefore I could upgrade to a gently used 85kwh battery in my 60 for a reasonable cost. My car would still require a suspension upgrade to accommodate the additional weight, so I am guessing this still wouldn't be cheap.

Three battery sizes. Rear wheel or all wheel drive. Performance version or regular. Ludicrous or not if you get the P. And that's before you get to any of the actual options. Isn't this too much choice? A prospective buyer's head is going to spin. It wasn't too long ago that Tesla reduced choices (dropped plans for 60D, fewer paint colors, dual charger no longer factory installed option) supposedly to make production more efficient. Now there are more choices than ever before. Is there a reason to keep the 85 kWh battery size now that there is a 70 and a 90?

Three battery sizes. Rear wheel or all wheel drive. Performance version or regular. Ludicrous or not if you get the P. And that's before you get to any of the actual options. Isn't this too much choice? A prospective buyer's head is going to spin. It wasn't too long ago that Tesla reduced choices (dropped plans for 60D, fewer paint colors, dual charger no longer factory installed option) supposedly to make production more efficient. Now there are more choices than ever before. Is there a reason to keep the 85 kWh battery size now that there is a 70 and a 90?

In my opinion, the options that are surviving are those shared between the S and X. So while still more options, it's likely a manageable increase in complexity.

Just a guess - they have an inventory / committed production of 85 kWh cells they need to get rid of. Once they deplete that supply to a sufficient level, they will discontinue the 85 and move to just the 90.

Three battery sizes. Rear wheel or all wheel drive. Performance version or regular. Ludicrous or not if you get the P. And that's before you get to any of the actual options. Isn't this too much choice?

I believe Nissan got 64 models lineup. It would take time for Tesla to catch up with established automakers in this regard. So far there are plans only for 4 models from Tesla, S, X, III, nextgen Roaster. Elon should start thinking how to make Tesla Motors to introduce 3 to 4 new models a year soon :)

Just a guess - they have an inventory / committed production of 85 kWh cells they need to get rid of. Once they deplete that supply to a sufficient level, they will discontinue the 85 and move to just the 90.

I agree with this. "Phasing in" the change like this lets them exhaust the existing supply of 85 kWh packs. They can easily put in 90 kWh packs limited to 85 kWh if they wanted to at some point, then kill off the 85 option altogether once the supply is exhausted.

let's not sort all this out through the fun house mirror of the media... we can tweet TM, Elon, or email Tesla investor relations, and ask that they put a recording of today's call on their website.

here's Tesla's form to email IR

http://ir.teslamotors.com/contactus.cfm