Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pressing the Park Button While Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I joined these forums a couple of years ago and I thought there was a post about pressing the Park button while you’re in motion. I can’t seem to find it anymore. Pardon me if that post exists somewhere here.

Addressing the Model Y or 3. Please assume the Tesla is set to use Hold. If a driver presses the Park button before the car engages in a full Hold, would any damage come upon the vehicle?

I’d like to think Tesla’s software is into protecting the car, but I thought I’d check.

Thank you

Tapping the park button wont do anything.

Pressing and holding the park button while moving is a form of emergency braking. From the owner's manual....

If an alternative method is needed to bring the vehicle to a stop, press and hold the Park button on the drive stalk to apply the brakes and remove drive torque while the button is held.

As for newer cars with no stalk...

tenor.gif

Thank you all for your responses.

I do remember reading that post, @red-min-t . Thank you for that.

My question is more what happens when you’re about to park, going less than 5MPH. The H symbol on your MCU hasn’t shown up; I think that means you haven’t fully stopped. But you press the Park button.

Is that likely to cause any harm to the car? Or would the car gradually slow down on its own, then apply the Park?

My question is more what happens when you’re about to park, going less than 5MPH. The H symbol on your MCU hasn’t shown up; I think that means you haven’t fully stopped. But you press the Park button.

Is that likely to cause any harm to the car? Or would the car gradually slow down on its own, then apply the Park?
If you try it (on accident) please report back 😆

I've done this, but I was going very slow (less than 1 mph), like pulling into the garage and inches away from my stop point. Hit park before the car had stopped. It made a sizeable thunk and stopped the car instantly. I don't think it was damaging, but it's not something you'd wanna do on a regular basis because it was pretty abrupt.

I did do this accidentally when my MY was new and I was still getting used to it. I had just come out of my garage going 3-5 mph through the alleyway and wanted washer fluid to clean the windshield. I accidentally pushed the right stalk instead of the left and the car did stop very abruptly while making a sound that you definitely do not want to hear (like gears grinding, but only for a fraction of a second). Do not recommend.

The is no mechanical pawl, so its just the brake pad engaged in any variation of scenarios?

I assume that is the underlying crux of the question?
There is no mechanical part that will shear off or break when the parking brake is engaged I think.

I have an old Model S with separate Parking Brake Calipers. They were replaced already at car age 2.5 years. I have since heated up the parking calibers (and gear and motors) periodically by applying the brake for some seconds while driving. The Brake Calipers Gears and Motors are now 6 years old so perhaps it helps.

However, I have changed my routine to put the car into 'No torque mode' (short up on stalk) because I once activated the parking brake while still accelerating and was then stranded for 14 minutes. Tesla Support (Holland?) instructed me to call a Tow Truck' as 'THAT CAR WILL NOT DRIVE ANYWHERE'!!
Alerts were:

PMS_f064 / PMS_f064_torqueIntervention
Alert Description
Pedal Monitor Slave Fault: Torque Intervention

PM_f003_torqueReversal
A drive unit torque control problem was detected.

DI_f137_noCapableDriveUnits
No capable Drive Units are detected.
This alert does not point to a specific issue. It is an effect of no other Drive Unit being available to drive the vehicle.

DI_w137_noCapableDriveUnits
The Drive Inverter has detected that there are no Drive Units present that are capable of allowing the vehicle to enter a drive state.

While waiting for the Tow truck I Cooooold Reset all systems with the Service/Change Wheel configuration hack. And car woke up and all was good. Happened on October 1 2022 and has not occurred after.

Be warned - the Deep reset STOPS the Hazard Lights, which was really not ok, where I was stranded!