Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prevent others to get in when you are inside the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In our old ICE days, we can lock the door when we are inside, and nobody can open the door from outside.

With M3, anybody can walk by and open the door when you are inside even if you lock the door through App. This is because you have the Auto unlock/lock feature turns on.

For added security, you can simply turn off Bluetooth and lock the door through App when you are inside. Cheer!

In our old ICE days, we can lock the door when we are inside, and nobody can open the door from outside.

With M3, anybody can walk by and open the door when you are inside even if you lock the door through App. This is because you have the Auto unlock/lock feature turns on.

For added security, you can simply turn off Bluetooth and lock the door through App when you are inside. Cheer!

I just click the lock button on the screen. Does that not lock the doors? (I haven't tested it, I just assumed it locks the car)

I just click the lock button on the screen. Does that not lock the doors? (I haven't tested it, I just assumed it locks the car)

It locks the doors, but it doesn't prevent anybody from outside to open your door. Reason, you phone is in proximity and your Bluetooth is on.

You can try it out yourself. Turn down the window so you can reach the handle from inside. Lock the door, and you can confirm that you can unlock it if you reach the outside handle.

Now, turn off your Bluetooth, lock the doors. With Bluetooth off, you cannot unlock it from outside.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
It locks the doors, but it doesn't prevent anybody from outside to open your door. Reason, you phone is in proximity and your Bluetooth is on.

You can try it out yourself. Turn down the window so you can reach the handle from inside. Lock the door, and you can confirm that you can unlock it if you reach the outside handle

That......is really crappy implementation. If I click the lock button manually, the doors should be locked. You know, I might turn off the dang phone proximity thing entirely and just use my keyfob.

@ben1628 that only works because the car is in park. Once you put the car in gear and drive a short distance, the doors will lock. Then they will not unlock from the outside until you either put the car in park or unlock the doors from the screen. I just tested it.
Thanks for testing but that doesn’t confirm the lock is working correctly. It’s a pretty typical scenario to leave wife and kids in the car in a parking lot after being in Park. So by locking the doors inside it’s essentially useless as anyone can still enter because her phone is with her?

Thanks for testing but that doesn’t confirm the lock is working correctly. It’s a pretty typical scenario to leave wife and kids in the car in a parking lot after being in Park. So by locking the doors inside it’s essentially useless as anyone can still enter because her phone is with her?
Actually, I also tested clicking the lock icon on the screen while the car was in park and then pushing the exterior door handle . The door remained locked and did not open. Easy enough for any Model 3 owner to test for themselves.

Reactions: GooseSerbus

Actually, that's not true. I often drop off my wife to do some quick food shopping in Chinatown, while I drive around the block to look for parking space or simply just drive around the block until she is back. Even I'm park, she was never be able to open the door until I hit the unlock.

There are also many times I double park outside my in-law's building in Queens, which is in some shady neighborhood. I always hit the lock on the screen after everyone is out. When they are back, they've never been able to open the door or even the trunk neither.

The first morning I had my model 3 I called a co worker to come out for a spin, and at the time I had no clue how to unlock the doors from inside the car....was kind of funny at the time. I had this awesome new piece of technology to show off, and didn't even know how to unlock the doors from inside the car :rolleyes:.

So, one more confirmation that you don't have to worry about being randomly car jacked while in your car with phone on.