Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

price drop $3000 vs 2 years of subscription of premium connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my model y June 18..but tesla already drop the price $3000... I just drove my model y 200 miles only until now
It feels so unfair to me...Do Tesla have any plan for customers who already bought model y before this price drop?...
Maybe not... but What if Tesla give us some limited free supercharge OR 2 years free subscription of premium connectivity? Specially this 2 year free subscription would be very fair for both Tesla and customers...isn't it?
They already gave us 1 year free subscription and Tesla just extend the expiry date 2 more years. It would be very simple work for Tesla... I already send a message to Tesla $3000 vs 2 years subscription..
What do you think? Please give me any advice or opinion... Thank you

If Tesla had raised the price by $3,000 instead of lowering it would you be willing to send Tesla a check to make things fair for more recent purchasers? No, then why do you think Tesla owes you anything?

Prices on all sorts of things go up or down every day. If you notice to the gas station lowered the price of gas one day after you filled up, would you go ask for a refund? If avocados go on sale next week are you going to go back to the grocery store and ask for a refund on the full price avocados you purchase today?

I picked up mine on July 9th and two days after they dropped $3000. I emailed them as well, as much as $3000 is not a big deal I still think its unfair. I hope to get reimbursed ($3000) or at least get some free supercharger miles

Since you’re within the seven day return period I think you might get lucky on that. Historically Tesla has offered the lower price to customers within the return window that ask for it... so fingers crossed!

Reactions: Y_NOT
If Tesla had raised the price by $3,000 instead of lowering it would you be willing to send Tesla a check to make things fair for more recent purchasers? No, then why do you think Tesla owes you anything?

Prices on all sorts of things go up or down every day. If you notice to the gas station lowered the price of gas one day after you filled up, would you go ask for a refund? If avocados go on sale next week are you going to go back to the grocery store and ask for a refund on the full price avocados you purchase today?

That brings up a good point. A lot of higher end retail stores will price adjust if prices go down soon after you make a purchase. Seeing as how Tesla is modeled more like retail than a car dealership, perhaps we should expect them to price match!

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors

If I buy a shirt at nordstrom today, and it goes on sale for half off tomorrow. If you bring receipt into store, do they give you difference? Absolutely. Same with any retail store, as long as it doesn’t say all sales are final, which a Tesla isn’t, you have 7 days which I fall into 7 day grace period. And you are comparing avocado to a whole ass car?

You guys are funny. We all know Tesla will not compensate those individuals (me included) on the difference as we took the gamble as "early adopter" to be the first few on the street with a Model Y.

You took delivery.
Contract was signed.

Stop losing sleep over $3k. Yeah its a bummer but hoping to get it back from Tesla??

Good riddance...

Reactions: SmartElectric
Picked up mine June 27th, and like someone I know who went through this with his M3, don't expect anything from Tesla unless you haven't received delivery yet. It is part of early adoption I just didn't think it would be this fast given how they are blowing their delivery numbers out of the water. Also only have ~225 miles on my MY.

Difference between this and model 3. is that with model 3 they would drop the price and also remove/change things about the car. So people that paid more ended up with actually different cars... with this. no changes are made to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Deals change from day to day. I bought a new Performance S on the last day of the first quarter last year and got 3 years free Supercharging. A few days later they were offering lifetime free Supercharging if I had waited. It still took 7 months of struggle to get them to activate my 3 year SC deal. Tesla is a difficult company to deal with so consider yourself lucky if you get what you are promised and usually nothing more.

I got my model y June 18..but tesla already drop the price $3000... I just drove my model y 200 miles only until now
It feels so unfair to me...Do Tesla have any plan for customers who already bought model y before this price drop?...
Maybe not... but What if Tesla give us some limited free supercharge OR 2 years free subscription of premium connectivity? Specially this 2 year free subscription would be very fair for both Tesla and customers...isn't it?
They already gave us 1 year free subscription and Tesla just extend the expiry date 2 more years. It would be very simple work for Tesla... I already send a message to Tesla $3000 vs 2 years subscription..
What do you think? Please give me any advice or opinion... Thank you

2 Years of Premium connectivity (at $10 a month) is $240. To make it equivalent to thhe $3k it would pretty much have to be a lifetime (24 years) of premium connectivity.

Supercharger miles always expire after 6 months, and each 1000 is worth around $100, so they would have to give 30,000 supercharger miles, good luck using that up in 6 months lol.

Store credit would have been nice (homelink and other accessories), and premium connectivity for a few years on top.

By the way, where did you write? email? which one? I feel that if enough people raise a hubub they will do something, maybe not 3k worth.. but anything would be worth it.

Regarding people saying that they dont owe us anything.... this is true, from legal perspective. BUT there is such thing as customer service, keeping good will etc etc... their marketing is all word of mouth.

I agree that they dont owe us anything, but it also costs them pennies to give supercharger access (hopefully more than 6 months), and to give premium connectivity. So its a win-win. Customers win and they win. They get to keep majority of 3k, but give close to that in value (but costing them significantly less). Like a baker's dozen. There is a reason they give you an extra one. Good customer service, to you its an extra 10% of donuts, to them its 2 cents of materials for that donut. win-win.

Also Im tired of people saying "go to any other dealership and see if they would give you a refund".... folks... when we ask for Tesla to do things how other dealerships do it we immediatelly get "they arent a delaership."... when we ask them to do other things, people say "would other dealerships do that?".... come on folks... pick one or the other. They are either a dalership or they arent. Stop being fanboys and start caring more for your fellow community members than an insanely rich corporation with CEO that just passed Warren Buffet in billion count. It is because of us he is super rich, he could throw us a bone....

again... he doesnt have to... but it would have been nice.

Reactions: Impaler
A post like this screams entitlement, in my opinion. You purchased the car at a price you were comfortable with and, unless you were naive, understood that the pricing would change at some point in the future. It could have been a month , a handful of months, a year...but it was going to change. The example above where someone asked if you would be willing to go back and pay more if they increased the price of the car due to high demand and low supply, and the obvious answer is no. Like others have said, enjoy the car you bought at the price you paid and move on. Life is too short.

A post like this screams entitlement, in my opinion. You purchased the car at a price you were comfortable with and, unless you were naive, understood that the pricing would change at some point in the future. It could have been a month , a handful of months, a year...but it was going to change. The example above where someone asked if you would be willing to go back and pay more if they increased the price of the car due to high demand and low supply, and the obvious answer is no. Like others have said, enjoy the car you bought at the price you paid and move on. Life is too short.

I agree with you, but only in the multiple months, year examples. People talking here have had the car for a week or so. I do think they are entitled. They pretty much got gauged. Clearly the car was sold to them above its actual market value. They are early adopters, the company is built on their shoulders. Some companies understand this and do indeed compensate. Look at what happened with Nintendo 3DS when that launched, then to have its price slashed less than 6 months later. All owners were given a ton of stuff to compensate. If I buy any piece of electronics, it comes with a price guarantee (typically 30 days), if price drops, I can get a refund for the difference.

because if at some point Tesla gets competition, all these people that they did not treat right will go to the competition. It costs them almost nothing to include premium connectivity for a few years, or give in store credit, or supercharger miles etc... but does wonders for customer service. Without customers a business is nothing. Its a bad practice to sh!t where you eat. but tesla can do that now because there is no other option, so people suck it up.

This price cut is not the first time, but all other price cuts were different. Every time Tesla justified and made it ok to do this because they would do a cut and remove features. So it was ok to have paid a bit more for extra features. Here they straight up sold us a car that is worth $3k less than they charged.

Do you think they came up with this price change overnight? No, they knew all along while smiling in our face and taking extra $3k from us that they were going to lower the price in a few days. They didnt give a *sugar*. This to me, as a customer, is upsetting.

Am I being entitled? Yes I am, I feel that there is no justification for me having paid $3k more for the same car a week ago. Its same materials, same features etc...

When people say "you agree to a price, so they owe you nothing, they are in the right". Yes they are.. but you know what that makes me think of? Numerous movies where someone tricks someone else into signing a legally binding agreement that screws them. yes, asshole in that movie is in the right. but that doesnt make them any less of an asshole.

I agree with you, but only in the multiple months, year examples. People talking here have had the car for a week or so. I do think they are entitled. They pretty much got gauged. Clearly the car was sold to them above its actual market value. They are early adopters, the company is built on their shoulders. Some companies understand this and do indeed compensate. Look at what happened with Nintendo 3DS when that launched, then to have its price slashed less than 6 months later. All owners were given a ton of stuff to compensate. If I buy any piece of electronics, it comes with a price guarantee (typically 30 days), if price drops, I can get a refund for the difference.

because if at some point Tesla gets competition, all these people that they did not treat right will go to the competition. It costs them almost nothing to include premium connectivity for a few years, or give in store credit, or supercharger miles etc... but does wonders for customer service. Without customers a business is nothing. Its a bad practice to sh!t where you eat. but tesla can do that now because there is no other option, so people suck it up.

This price cut is not the first time, but all other price cuts were different. Every time Tesla justified and made it ok to do this because they would do a cut and remove features. So it was ok to have paid a bit more for extra features. Here they straight up sold us a car that is worth $3k less than they charged.

Do you think they came up with this price change overnight? No, they knew all along while smiling in our face and taking extra $3k from us that they were going to lower the price in a few days. They didnt give a *sugar*. This to me, as a customer, is upsetting.

Am I being entitled? Yes I am, I feel that there is no justification for me having paid $3k more for the same car a week ago. Its same materials, same features etc...

When people say "you agree to a price, so they owe you nothing, they are in the right". Yes they are.. but you know what that makes me think of? Numerous movies where someone tricks someone else into signing a legally binding agreement that screws them. yes, asshole in that movie is in the right. but that doesnt make them any less of an asshole.

But where do you draw a line with it all? I would say that the people who fall within the 7 day return window have a decent shot at getting the discount applied, but if they get it, then you'll have the people who were at 8 or 10 days who are asking for it. Also, are companies not allowed to change the pricing without retroactively providing previous purchasers some kind of credit? Of course. It could be good PR, but again, where do you draw the line? There will always be people complain if someone else gets the same thing you do, but cheaper. The original poster here has a car that is almost a month old, regardless of miles on it, and they're making the claim they deserve the discount now. Car prices fluctuate all the time, it's not just with Tesla.

Reactions: Big-Al and BMax_V.2
But where do you draw a line with it all? I would say that the people who fall within the 7 day return window have a decent shot at getting the discount applied, but if they get it, then you'll have the people who were at 8 or 10 days who are asking for it. Also, are companies not allowed to change the pricing without retroactively providing previous purchasers some kind of credit? Of course. It could be good PR, but again, where do you draw the line? There will always be people complain if someone else gets the same thing you do, but cheaper. The original poster here has a car that is almost a month old, regardless of miles on it, and they're making the claim they deserve the discount now. Car prices fluctuate all the time, it's not just with Tesla.

I had the car for 9 days before price change. I would personally be fine if it was over a month until price change. So a 30 days price guarantee. But then again, it doesnt have to be that drastic, it can go one of three ways:

1. Straight up 30 day price guarantee. If price dips, refund
2. Justification as to why refund doesnt make sense (as they have with previous price drops on M3) where they dropped the features, or changed something, so that the amount extra you paid is worth something. You actually paid for something.
3. Credits, this can be supercharger, premium connectivity, store credit (not to full amount but lets say 30 to 50% of the drop). Or combination thereof.

In this case its the 4th approach, the most bridge burning one for their customer base. Just tell them to F themselves. And dont forget here. They are refusing to adjust it for those that took delivery period. Even if you are within return window. They are saying, return the car and then order new one for less (in hopes of discouraging people from doing that because its a bit of a hassle). Basically they are only doing what they are obligated to by law/contracts. There is zero olive branch here, zero attempts to make it right. They are totally in their right to do this. But as a customer I feel burned. And let me make it clear. Im not burned by the price decrease. Thats fine and inevitable. I am burned by their refusal to make me, early adopter feel ok about it. Its a straight up "we got your money, now go take a hike" approach. It stings.

I imagine this is all entirely predicated on the mentality that there will not have a shortage of customers, so losing a few hundred maybe thousand (basically everyone that was part of quarter end push) is fine, because there is a line out the door. As a customer, that stings.