Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Drops and Facelifts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's an interesting time if you are thinking to buy! We have an M3RWD (which we really like) but have been eyeing up a MYLR to replace our current ice SUV. At the current inventory discount it is very tempting.

However - these price cuts have to be a precursor to the facelift models coming on-stream and it is also therefore tempting to hang on for Highland/HW4/Bl#@dy parking sensors/anti-gravity field generator etc. (Some of these features may not work fully as yet - but will do, soon).

It is (literally) like buying a PC used to be - there is no 'right' time. I am interested to hear how others weigh it all up to make the decision though?

Cheers.

However - these price cuts have to be a precursor to the facelift models coming on-stream and it is also therefore tempting to hang on for Highland/HW4/Bl#@dy parking sensors/anti-gravity field generator etc. (Some of these features may not work fully as yet - but will do, soon).

I thought that the anti gravity field generator was just for the Roadster... or am I confusing that with the rocket booster - or is that Starlink, or was it Space-X... now im confused! Crikey, keeping up with all the Tesla options is harder than keeping up with a McDonalds order board menu when you have vouchers... Long gone is the 'I wan't one of them, but in red...'

Reactions: Grafix
The cycle of price drops will spiral until you get a free Tesla with each yuppie meal and find them in the remainder bin at Poundland...
.. meanwhile Chinese sellers on eBay will offer thumb drives with new Tesla features and stick-on extra wireless cameras and sensors. Lidar patches will be popular.

It's an interesting time if you are thinking to buy! We have an M3RWD (which we really like) but have been eyeing up a MYLR to replace our current ice SUV. At the current inventory discount it is very tempting.

It is (literally) like buying a PC used to be - there is no 'right' time. I am interested to hear how others weigh it all up to make the decision though?

Cheers.
I am tempted to switch to the M3RWD at £22k on the Tesla site and save some money, the cheapest I have ever seen with a 1 year warranty!

I’ve just bought a MYLR, partly in response to the January price cut and then able to discount the price further with this weekend’s price drop on inventory stock. I know HW4 is on its way, but I have no interest in FSD (not least because I don’t think there will be much regulatory approval in the UK to take full advantage while I own this particular car) so missing out on the new generation computer isn’t especially relevant to me. I guess there’s always a facelift coming at some point, but Tesla don’t have a history of major redesigns so I don’t believe my new MY is going to suddenly become the very ugly older sister. So I could have waited and waited and waited for the latest next best thing, but at some point you either get in to the game or become the slightly bitter person on social media complaining about the possibility of missing out on some ill-defined future brilliance. For me, it was time to get in the game, with my eyes open to the strengths and weaknesses of what’s currently available in this category of EV.

Last edited:
I had my first Model 3 since the second shipment to the UK in August 2019, there have always been changes that are just about to arrive, new centre console, heat pump, Ryzen computer etc. etc.

I changed to a new Model 3 last year, but only because the part exchange price seemed unreasonably high so it seemed worth it to start with a new warranty. The only real benefit I see with the newer car is it's a little bit more efficient, I average about 360Wh/mile rather than 386Wh/mile. I can't honestly say that any other change has really made the slightest difference to me.

I would say that any future car features don't matter, and I would buy when the time is right for you. Software updates will keep you close enough. As ever there is so much speculation in the Tesla world, but the only universal truth is that everything take longer than anyone expects to arrive.

I had my first Model 3 since the second shipment to the UK in August 2019, there have always been changes that are just about to arrive, new centre console, heat pump, Ryzen computer etc. etc.

I changed to a new Model 3 last year, but only because the part exchange price seemed unreasonably high so it seemed worth it to start with a new warranty. The only real benefit I see with the newer car is it's a little bit more efficient, I average about 360Wh/mile rather than 386Wh/mile. I can't honestly say that any other change has really made the slightest difference to me.

I would say that any future car features don't matter, and I would buy when the time is right for you. Software updates will keep you close enough. As ever there is so much speculation in the Tesla world, but the only universal truth is that everything take longer than anyone expects to arrive.
Great perspective - thank you!

Cheers.
I’ve recently traded a M3 SR+ for a MYLR and love it. If you wait for one rumoured change (due in 2 weeks) you’ll end up waiting for the next…..
If current MYLR does what you need, buy it. If it doesn’t, don’t.

I’ve recently traded a M3 SR+ for a MYLR and love it. If you wait for one rumoured change (due in 2 weeks) you’ll end up waiting for the next…..
If current MYLR does what you need, buy it. If it doesn’t, don’t.
A slight side-question for you if that's OK? Is there anything you miss from your M3 having moved to the MY - or was it all a gain?

A slight side-question for you if that's OK? Is there anything you miss from your M3 having moved to the MY - or was it all a gain?
The M3 is lighter, so handled slightly sweeter. A slight reduction in ride quality fro
M3 on 18s to MY on 20s.
But performance, space and kit are all top notch. The premium stereo is noticeably better.
The MY feels more substantial. A bit like moving from a BMW 3 to 5 series.
I’m getting 3.5-4 miles pkwh in the MY vs 4-5 in my M3.
Overall it’s a great car.
I have missed USS parking sensors, but it’s not a deal breaker for me.
No regrets.

The M3 is lighter, so handled slightly sweeter. A slight reduction in ride quality fro
M3 on 18s to MY on 20s.
But performance, space and kit are all top notch. The premium stereo is noticeably better.
The MY feels more substantial. A bit like moving from a BMW 3 to 5 series.
I’m getting 3.5-4 miles pkwh in the MY vs 4-5 in my M3.
Overall it’s a great car.
I have missed USS parking sensors, but it’s not a deal breaker for me.
No regrets.
Cheers!

While I completely agree there is always something new coming, HW4 with additional cameras and HD radar is a more significant change to me. I have an order in, and even though I don't want FSD, odds are I will cancel and wait until the end of the year or whenever the whole new suite is included. I do realize the price will be higher, but it won’t reach former highs anytime soon. With so many features missing, or substandard, I don‘t see any rush to buy.

Reactions: Grafix
However - these price cuts have to be a precursor to the facelift models coming on-stream
I don't believe there is any relation. Tesla doesn't have a massive stockpile of current models they need to get rid of because of a new model coming along - otherwise they wouldn't keep manufacturing the current model. Tesla's price changes are purely based on demand and supply chain costs. If anything the facelift model should (more likely could) be cheaper as many of the changes are to reduce manufacturing costs.

Doesn't hurt to wait it out a bit longer if you aren't desperate to change though - given the current financial climate and supposedly weak demand in the UK I don't see the prices rising any time soon.

Reactions: Durzel
I don't believe there is any relation. Tesla doesn't have a massive stockpile of current models they need to get rid of because of a new model coming along - otherwise they wouldn't keep manufacturing the current model. Tesla's price changes are purely based on demand and supply chain costs. If anything the facelift model should (more likely could) be cheaper as many of the changes are to reduce manufacturing costs.

Doesn't hurt to wait it out a bit longer if you aren't desperate to change though - given the current financial climate and supposedly weak demand in the UK I don't see the prices rising any time soon.
I'm not so sure about updates you know. Lots of activity in Shanghai and Texas just now. I take your point on it though.

Tesla always pushes for sales at the end of quarters.

I would not assume that the inventory prices being dropped relates to facelifts, HW4 or anything else. Tesla isn't going to change the price on HW4 cars, and I don't think they give anywhere near as much thought about interim changes and what effect they might have on residuals as prospective customers do.

Occam's Razor tbh - price cuts are a function of them wanting to sell more cars / have an excess of inventory either present or in transit.