Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price increase? [posted 06.16.2022]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dealers are a pain point for sure, but more of a side benefit than a major deciding factor for going Tesla.
Can’t be any worse than having to go to a Kia or Hyundai dealer to get your EV6/Ioniq5 serviced. The dealership/service experience for most dealers that are not BMW, Mercedes, and Volvo (in my experience) are severely lacking - so can’t really ding Tesla’s service experience especially when they make house calls.

Can’t be any worse than having to go to a Kia or Hyundai dealer to get your EV6/Ioniq5 serviced. The dealership/service experience for most dealers that are not BMW, Mercedes, and Volvo (in my experience) are severely lacking - so can’t really ding Tesla’s service experience especially when they make house calls.
only issue is that Tesla is now hitting BMW prices (i4 vs. Model 3) and Mercedes prices (EQE vs. Model S) and exceeding Cadillac prices (Lyriq vs. Model Y) ... all 3 brands have pretty darn good customer experience. Definitely no "uber vouchers" until your car is fixed.

only issue is that Tesla is now hitting BMW prices (i4 vs. Model 3) and Mercedes prices (EQE vs. Model S) and exceeding Cadillac prices (Lyriq vs. Model Y) ... all 3 brands have pretty darn good customer experience. Definitely no "uber vouchers" until your car is fixed.
Right, and I don’t expect Tesla to catch up with BMW’s and Merecedes’s build quality any time soon. I think once the BMW i4 becomes mainstream and Mercedes finally makes an electric C-Class, Tesla will have to drop their prices to keep up (assuming the i4 and ”EQC” are priced competitively)

Right, and I don’t expect Tesla to catch up with BMW’s and Merecedes’s build quality any time soon. I think once the BMW i4 becomes mainstream and Mercedes finally makes an electric C-Class, Tesla will have to drop their prices to keep up (assuming the i4 and ”EQC” are priced competitively)
yeah. was thinking a Model Y for the wife by late 2023/ early 2024 but if the prices stick I might look hard at the Cadillac Lyriq.

I wonder if this is simply a tactic for slowing down or delaying orders. Tesla has very lengthy backlogs and may see this as a better option than not accepting orders at all for certain models.
It’s both. Raising prices gives them more resources to fulfill future orders and keep the number of such orders under control. There has clearly been excess demand of Tesla vehicles which naturally leads to a price increase by simple economics. I think this really is a good move.

It’s crazy how rapidly the MSRP of new Teslas are rising. Before ordering my M3LR, I cross shopped it with a lot of other EVs and PHEVs (Ioniq5, EV6, 530e, Mach E), and none came close to the value of a Model 3 (i.e., range, features, charging infrastructure, price); but with these price increases, those other cars will start to be more appealing
A BMW i4M50 loaded is $75k, and that gets you drivers side display, heads up, laser lights, premium everything, 2 years free charging, $7500 tax incentive and ZERO build quality issues. We are very close to going this way if M3P #2 arrives looking like Ms. Smiths 2nd grade class assembled it 😂

Wow, I got my M3LR in late Feb 2022 for 51K and now the price is 58K :oops:

Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but at this price level, I would reconsider now if I were in the market
My last one was $49k in 2019, I drove it for 2 years and traded it in for $51k. Then, this one was bought in September for $56k and trade in value (before this recent increase) is $63k. I'm getting higher % returns on a car than I am with my mutual funds this year 😂

So performance didn't go up in price any this time?
No. I'm making a huge assumption here with zero inside knowledge, that they didn't raise the price up because there's an upgrade in the near future. 100% speculation, but for it to be the only thing that didn't increase, and it being silly to increase the price point on something right before an upgrade, makes sense to me for this to be the case.

No. I'm making a huge assumption here with zero inside knowledge, that they didn't raise the price up because there's an upgrade in the near future. 100% speculation, but for it to be the only thing that didn't increase, and it being silly to increase the price point on something right before an upgrade, makes sense to me for this to be the case.
Upgrade?

I wonder if this is simply a tactic for slowing down or delaying orders. Tesla has very lengthy backlogs and may see this as a better option than not accepting orders at all for certain models.
Could be you're right. That's an old general contractor bidding trick when a GC is slammed with work. Instead of turning the job down, they bid it super high, if the customer bites.....its party time!!

Reactions: tm1v2
Most likely to try to get more people to upgrade to Performance. $7-8k is a big jump so people would be more hesitant. $4-5k is much easier to convince yourself to pull the trigger especially since it gets delivered faster.

You see it all the time with Model Y, people getting Performance purely because it’s only a “few thousand” more and gets you much faster delivery.

Performance has much more profit for Tesla since hardware is nearly identical to LR, just different software, bigger brakes and a spoiler.

In base trim the current LR estimated delivery is 11/22-2/23. P is 6/22-8/22 (laughable idea that you could order today and pick up within two weeks, but that’s what the wesite says). The SR estimate is similar to LR at 10/22-1/23 and that one stayed at the current price, so there’s probably more to it than just hedging against further inflation of future cost to build.

Most likely to try to get more people to upgrade to Performance. $7-8k is a big jump so people would be more hesitant. $4-5k is much easier to convince yourself to pull the trigger especially since it gets delivered faster.

You see it all the time with Model Y, people getting Performance purely because it’s only a “few thousand” more and gets you much faster delivery.

Performance has much more profit for Tesla since hardware is nearly identical to LR, just different software, bigger brakes and a spoiler.
Then you have to consider acceleration boost is almost 100% profit for $2000 since it's just a programming change and puts it almost identical to the M3P.

If the price difference was $4000-$5000, but then you have more expensive wheels, tires, brakes, other bits, etc. Which one makes more $? Because you lose the $2k of pure profit from AB since you can't add it on the M3P.