Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price increase? [posted 06.16.2022]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would buy a P if I wanted another 3 right now. I was due for an upgrade in 2023, but I'm not sure a model 3 is worth $60k to me. I also have a Cybertruck and Lucid Air reservation and really need to think about what to do. My wife's Y is our primary, and my car is used for commuting 3 days a week. May need to find a cheaper EV alternative given prices (and finance rates) have been going up at an unsustainable rate.

Reactions: Sam1
It’s crazy how rapidly the MSRP of new Teslas are rising. Before ordering my M3LR, I cross shopped it with a lot of other EVs and PHEVs (Ioniq5, EV6, 530e, Mach E), and none came close to the value of a Model 3 (i.e., range, features, charging infrastructure, price); but with these price increases, those other cars will start to be more appealing
I definitely would have gotten something else at todays prices. I almost didn’t order because it went up $1000 from when I was thinking about it to placing the order in March.

At a little over $50k the Model 3 LR was a good value EV for the features, range, and performance. At nearly $60k it’s much less so and about on par with the AWD EV competition, but most of the competition also qualify for the $7500 tax credit.

I definitely would have gotten something else at todays prices. I almost didn’t order because it went up $1000 from when I was thinking about it to placing the order in March.

At a little over $50k the Model 3 LR was a good value EV for the features, range, and performance. At nearly $60k it’s much less so and about on par with the AWD EV competition, but most of the competition also qualify for the $7500 tax credit.
yup. BMW i4 minus $7500 tax credit gets you into a well equipped RWD version or into a minimally equipped AWD version at the same price as a Model 3 AWD.

I see many comments on “the competition” - good luck with that - from dealers, ccs charging, etc, I just don’t see it (yet). When yet becomes now - Tesla certainly can leverage pricing. Tough path for the slow to adopt.
I ordered the Model 3 LR as a daily commuter. Range is a non issue for me as long as it’s 100+ miles. DCFC speed and availability is a non issue. Dealers are a pain point for sure, but more of a side benefit than a major deciding factor for going Tesla. Not everyone needs the highest stats/specs on paper.

I know my use case isn’t going to apply for everyone but there’s also a lot of people that it does apply to. If people are realistic in how they truly use their car daily instead of buying for the fringe case of “I need max range because I visit my Aunt Sally in the middle of Montana every 3 years” then most will find they don’t need 350+ mile range and wide DCFC network availability.

If the Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf or VW e-Golf had AWD options I would have gone for that as a low cost commuter. If the BMW i3 had AWD or at least non specific bicycle tires I would have considered that too. But I wanted AWD since we do get occasional snow and the Model 3 was the best value at the time of my order. ID4 AWD was about the same price but much less range and performance so given similar cost I went with Model 3. If they made a Model 3 SR AWD with LFP I would have gone for that as well.

how much was the base M3P at the end of 2021, my M3LR was 49,900? It had to be more than 5K difference back then

@Two-rocks It was $58,990. Here is a graph with the recent price increase.

Tesla Model 3 Base Price History (1).png

Chart shows trims available to order online in US. Off the menu (OTM) trims (dashed) available only in store or by phone. Link to data.

If the BMW i3 had AWD or at least non specific bicycle tires I would have considered that too.
I had a BMW i3 (94Ah battery) and it was the perfect in-town city car with a surprising amount of interior and cargo space (goes to show what automakers can do when they focus on function > form and take advantage of the architecture of an EV - i.e., being able to extend the wheelbase for lack of ICE up front). The later/final models got a 120Ah battery so range was ~150 miles which is more than enough for most people’s daily needs. But yeah, the bespoke bicycle tires at $200+/each was off putting.