Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price of using a Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a side note on that point, the main supply pipeline from Russia goes through Ukraine and the ongoing problems there (and subsequent disruption) are increasing prices. There's a new pipeline that avoids the area due to come online in early 2022 so prices are expected to fall throughout the year.

That's all according to Ofgem anyway, I guess we'll see.
Sounds kinda like nonsense though, gas prices are up world wide due to increasing demand and insufficient supply.

Should commercial chargers display their price per kWh on a big sign like petrol stations do?

I think some form of remotely knowing the cost/kWh before committing to rocking up 'on the forecourt' would be useful, especially on motorways. I very often chose which petrol station (not in Tesla, obvs) to use based upon price on the 'big sign', even locally. I have a few local petrol stations that if I see the price is right and I am close to needing to refuel I'll pop in, otherwise I will leave it to another time - its all down to when the petrol station gets its delivery, although I would think that charging prices will be more static. But then, I am unlikely to be charging the Tesla locally so the 'big sign' price more useful to know. Doesn't have to be a 'big sign' though - on in car display (but not a phone app) would be equally useful. Tesla not quite there yet with theirs.

Whilst they are at it, they can also display how many charge points are free and working...

Sounds kinda like nonsense though, gas prices are up world wide due to increasing demand and insufficient supply.

Not my field of expertise, all I know is that's what the experts are reporting.

Nord Stream 2 is almost complete but not likely to get its operating license before the end of the year, which puts the anticipated European supply down by 5.6 billion cubic metres, so prices will go up.

Folk using/monitoring Octopus Agile home prices (tied to wholesale price of electricity half hourly) will know that wholesale prices are bonkers high at the moment. The home supply price on Agile is capped at 35p but it never used to hit it and used to drop to about 4p or less at night. Now you’re lively to get under 20p at night and much of the daytime is flat out at the 35p cap. So whilst your current tariff may be buffering you from the prices, they’re super high. Tesla seems to track these increases in the average price closely compared to other charging networks. They may drop again of the prices dip too. Bit when the price of electricity at home is as expensive or more than at a supercharger, you just know there’s a storm coming!

Attachments

• 700F5A34-86BD-403B-9557-38F51B1F8456.png
    700F5A34-86BD-403B-9557-38F51B1F8456.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 1CE4BAF7-BD46-4C8D-9E4A-927FFC75EF4F.png
    1CE4BAF7-BD46-4C8D-9E4A-927FFC75EF4F.png
    255.3 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: gangzoom