Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price of using a Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The owners group created one but it was out of date as soon as it was published. Tesla don't seem to be keen on advertising them which is kind of odd given the differential pricing is meant to drive behaviours but how do you plan where you're going to charge without easily seeing the data?

You're aware that some sites also have a peak/off peak tariff?

Just reviving this thread.. Charged at Grantham last night, 35p/kWh. When we picked up our M3 in March, most SC were around 28p, have noticed the cost increasing over the last few months. Those who’ve owned for longer, does the cost fluctuate up amd down? Or are we seeing a steady rise in SC costs?

There has been a steady rise but I suspect some of it may be due to the wonderful VAT situation.
EV charging used to have VAT at 5% but HMRC “clarified” that it should actually be 21% (or 23, can’t remember the exact value).
Supercharging is still far superior in terms of speed, convenience and reliability but whereas it also used to be competitively priced, its price is now broadly in line with other operators.

Reactions: Burley
It could be VAT, at least in part. I checked back on my history and a charge there in June was 29p, so 5% VAT, now at 20% gets it to 33p. No complaint about the SC network, just noticed the cost getting close to other providers and in reality, more than Gridserve now.

There has been a steady rise but I suspect some of it may be due to the wonderful VAT situation.
EV charging used to have VAT at 5% but HMRC “clarified” that it should actually be 21% (or 23, can’t remember the exact value).
Supercharging is still far superior in terms of speed, convenience and reliability but whereas it also used to be competitively priced, its price is now broadly in line with other operators.
Probably more to do with the increase in the wholesale price of power. UK energy bills to rise after record wholesale electricity prices

Reactions: Kietrax
Probably more to do with the increase in the wholesale price of power.
Quite possible, although I’d be surprised if Tesla didn’t hedge their electricity costs for the year.
I also noticed that prices seem to vary wildly between locations, with Park Royal still in the 20-something p/kWh and Telford into the mid-30s for example.
Maybe it does indeed reflect the cost of power in different locations?
Elon said the SuC network would never be used for profit (although I trust him about as far as I can throw a hippo)…

Reactions: pow216
Might be a bit of both(VAT and price rises) although if I recall it was just instavolt that got caught out with the VAT change. Gridserve may well be running at a reduced margin(absorbing the increase in wholesale costs) to get market share and visibility so i'm not expecting it to stay that low in the long term..

Tesla have always taken VAT at 20%, I think it was only Instavolt that were using 5% incorrectly.

Here's an example from August last year.

1630568566426.png

The cost increases in Electricity are disappointingly due to the gas price. Still this should help make the case for faster investment in renewable so we aren't dependent on Russian gas, but I suspect it'll be an expensive winter this year.

Electricity prices have steadliy climbed but I also see it as a way of trying to control demand. The more popular sites charge more, there are off peak and peak rates at some etc. The silly thing about the approach if true is its not easy to see the prices across the country unless you're stitting in the car so planning your day and where to charge to make use of cheaper rates (and if it is demand management, the less busy sites) isn't easy.

Reactions: Burley
It could be VAT, at least in part. I checked back on my history and a charge there in June was 29p, so 5% VAT, now at 20% gets it to 33p. No complaint about the SC network, just noticed the cost getting close to other providers and in reality, more than Gridserve now.
you cannot directly compare the supercharger prices with other providers. SuC charge for DC delivered to the car. All others for AC consumed so you are paying for the transformer and delivery losses. Anecdotally this can be between 5-15%. The less efficient their setup the more money they make. its not ideal but You need to knock that of the price you pay Tesla before comparing with other suppliers

• Informative
Reactions: SR-Plus and Teddy69
The cost increases in Electricity are disappointingly due to the gas price. Still this should help make the case for faster investment in renewable so we aren't dependent on Russian gas, but I suspect it'll be an expensive winter this year.

As a side note on that point, the main supply pipeline from Russia goes through Ukraine and the ongoing problems there (and subsequent disruption) are increasing prices. There's a new pipeline that avoids the area due to come online in early 2022 so prices are expected to fall throughout the year.

That's all according to Ofgem anyway, I guess we'll see.