Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing Revealed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Truth - Milk all of the shill, influencers and fanboys - that's how Elon treats his loyal base!
It is quite comical how some of the fanboys treat this bozo(Elon) as a demigod. They cannot criticize him or his product because it is sacrilegious. He bamboozled and pulled the wool over the eyes of those who put in early deposits and or orders. No wonder Tesla was so secretive about the specs until they finally came out. It under delivered on all fronts.

It is quite comical how some of the fanboys treat this bozo(Elon) as a demigod. They cannot criticize him or his product because it is sacrilegious. He bamboozled and pulled the wool over the eyes of those who put in early deposits and or orders. No wonder Tesla was so secretive about the specs until they finally came out. It under delivered on all fronts.

I'm going to go with the word, "sad". Why? Many people these days can no longer think or analyze for themselves - they just pick a horse (in this case, a clown/charlatan) and live on his every word...

What happened 4 years ago its already a history.. The prices will never be the same.

Yeah - Tesla has DROPPED prices on all of its cars over the past 4 years.
Do try harder to come up with excuses for CT's disappointment.

Fully expect prices to come down significantly in the next 12-18 months. No way that they sell 250k CT a year at those prices after the die hard fans are done buying.

Don't underestimate the "look at me, I like to look tough" crowd.
I expect a bunch of them to show up at kids school drop off lines, and shopping mall / spa parking lots.
Basically, the bulk of Land Rover market!
;)

I agree. What will happen to the pricing if:
Interest rates go down.
Tesla is producing its own lithium.
etc.

Neither is a factor in CT pricing.
  • Tesla has negligible amount in Accounts Payable, and earns more from Interest Income than looses from Interest Expenses. Higher interest rates are net positive to TSLA's income statement.
  • Lithium is a commodity. There is zero reason to believe Tesla will be better at mining than dedicated mining companies. If anything, any dallying into mining will likely raises Tesla costs.
For goodness sake - I can't remember what the financial status of the US was like 4 years ago when all of this started.
We were worse off 4 years ago than we are today.
US GDP has grown by 19% over the past 4 years:
1701539678888.png

• Love
Reactions: jebinc
Right! Can you imagine if he released the actual specs before the big delivery fiasco? No body would have watched it.

Yeah - Tesla has DROPPED prices on all of its cars over the past 4 years.
Do try harder to come up with excuses for CT's disappointment.

Don't underestimate the "look at me, I like to look tough" crowd.
I expect a bunch of them to show up at kids school drop off lines, and shopping mall / spa parking lots.
Basically, the bulk of Land Rover market!
;)

Neither is a factor in CT pricing.
  • Tesla has negligible amount in Accounts Payable, and earns more from Interest Income than looses from Interest Expenses. Higher interest rates are net positive to TSLA's income statement.
  • Lithium is a commodity. There is zero reason to believe Tesla will be better at mining than dedicated mining companies. If anything, any dallying into mining will likely raises Tesla costs.

We were worse off 4 years ago than we are today.
US GDP has grown by 19% over the past 4 years:
View attachment 995828

What was the interest rate 4 years ago?

That seems to be the primary factor that people use to buy vehicles and homes.

If the monthly costs are too high they they aint "gone" buy. ALL automotive companies are feeling it.

Tesla said on many occasions that some of their price drops were to match increasing interest rates - to keep monthly payments from going up.

• Funny
Did anyone ask Elon if Tesla would honor the reservation price for those who reserved while the prices where shown next to the order form (did they get a copy of the same in their inbox)?

I myself I'm not worried since I don't want anything to do with bleeding edge anyways (three to six years?), and they don't yet have a roadmap for CT in EMEA.

Last edited:
Did anyone ask Elon if Tesla would honor the reservation price for those who reserved while the prices where shown next to the order form (did they get a copy of the same in their inbox)?
😂

Why don’t you ask him for us?

Of course they’re not gonna honor the price. What an absolutely absurd notion to think they will. Buy at the price on offer or take your $100 back.

Based on what we’ve seen so far it seems the CT is fundamentally incompatible with EU pedestrian safety regulations. Personally I can’t see any scenario where they directly sell such a behemoth outside North America.
I am pretty certain safety regulations in South America and Africa are more "flexible".
Also, Saudi Arabia and UAE should be viable markets for "look at me" Cyber TruckLa.

• Funny
What was the interest rate 4 years ago?
That seems to be the primary factor that people use to buy vehicles and homes.

That's a red herring.
Floated by Musk to distract from falling demand on Tesla's aging portfolio of vehicle.

If the monthly costs are too high they they aint "gone" buy. ALL automotive companies are feeling it.

US vehicle sales have been hovering steadily around 16M/year rate for the last year or so. They are up y/o from 2022.
The first Fed Funds rate hike was in Feb'22.
The increase in interest rates over the past 22 months hasn't hurt new vehicle sales (they are up over that period), outside that of the few car companies who are struggling with their stagnant vehicle portfolio. Tesla, Alfa Romeo, and Polestar are some of the struggling OEMs. Technically, Tesla sales are also up y/y, they just had to aggressively cut prices to juice-up the sales. Others didn't.

It's cute Tesla is blaming the need to cut prices on interests rates.
You should know better than to take what Tesla says at face value.
That claim is not supported by industry-wide data:

1701628309481.png

Tesla said on many occasions that some of their price drops were to match increasing interest rates - to keep monthly payments from going up.

Just because Tesla/Musk say something, it doesn't mean it's true.

BMW hasn't dropped it's prices, in fact, it raised them with new model rollouts over the past year. BMW sales are up 7.8% y/o.
Appealing car portfolio drives sales. So does lower the prices at the expense of the margins.
BMW went with option #1.
Tesla went with option #2.

a

You cannot seriously take that as a data point in comparison to Tesla's sales and pricing strategy? Tesla's aggressive growth is in a whole different league where price is a factor, in large numbers.
Lets not get distracted here. The question was about interest rate impact on sales in the automotive industry.
The answers it that there hasn't been any, despite what Musk might be whining about.
The data points I cited were an illustration of the fact that 2023 vehicle sales growth can be, and has successfully been achieved by many automakers in the current rising interest rate environment. At least by those OEMs that have a compelling new products' portfolio to do that.

Tesla couldn't meet its sales quarterly growth goals in Q3, or even the lowest of analysists' projections, since the demand for its stale product portfolio has slacked off. So it had to aggressively slash the prices on its cars to stimulate demand. In some cases, by ridiculous amounts. Model S Plaid went from $136K in Jan'23 down to $90K now.

Please don't insult our intelligence (or let Musk insult yours), by attributing all that to the interest rates!

1701646594566.png

a

P.S.: If you really care about BMW product strategy, we can have an interesting conversation about that, but probably not in this thread. Feel free to start another thread, and PM me the link.

• Funny
That's a red herring.
Floated by Musk to distract from falling demand on Tesla's aging portfolio of vehicle.

US vehicle sales have been hovering steadily around 16M/year rate for the last year or so. They are up y/o from 2022.
The first Fed Funds rate hike was in Feb'22.
The increase in interest rates over the past 22 months hasn't hurt new vehicle sales (they are up over that period), outside that of the few car companies who are struggling with their stagnant vehicle portfolio. Tesla, Alfa Romeo, and Polestar are some of the struggling OEMs. Technically, Tesla sales are also up y/y, they just had to aggressively cut prices to juice-up the sales. Others didn't.

It's cute Tesla is blaming the need to cut prices on interests rates.
You should know better than to take what Tesla says at face value.
That claim is not supported by industry-wide data:

View attachment 996009

Just because Tesla/Musk say something, it doesn't mean it's true.

BMW hasn't dropped it's prices, in fact, it raised them with new model rollouts over the past year. BMW sales are up 7.8% y/o.
Appealing car portfolio drives sales. So does lower the prices at the expense of the margins.
BMW went with option #1.
Tesla went with option #2.

a

Your explanation would make sense if other CEO's didn't do the same thing for the same reason as Tesla.

BMW sales up 7.8% for the "year"? Stock price is up 12% for the year.

I suppose that is progress. lol.

Last edited:
Lets not get distracted here. The question was about interest rate impact on sales in the automotive industry.
The answers it that there hasn't been any, despite what Musk might be whining about.

Please don't insult our intelligence (or let Musk insult yours), by attributing all that to the interest rates!

I'd say that in general (by volume) buers of a new BMW (high end buyers) are less affected by interest rates than buers of a new Tesla (mass volume car for the common people).

Model S/X are going down in "value for money" as time passes by as other manufacturers (and Tesla itself) are making more modern and premium cars.