Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Primer on SAE Levels of Autonomy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the OP
"Active safety systems like automatic emergency braking or emergency lane departure avoidance can be included on cars of any levels."

Lane-Keeping is a Active Safety system, and not a convenience system like Lane-Steering.

It depends what exactly we are talking about. I think we are using different terms. If what you are calling "Lane Keeping" where the system just nudges you back in the lane, that is an active safety system, not a Level 1 system, because it does not perform a DDT in a sustained way. I usually call that "Lane Keeping Assist". "Lane Steering" which seems to refer to what Tesla has where auto steer controls steering to keep you in the lane, what I call "Lane Keeping", that is NOT an active safety system but would be a Level 1 feature since it does perform a DDT in a sustained way.

From SAE document:

Active safety systems, such as electronic stability control and automated emergency braking, and certain types of driver assistance systems, such as lane keeping assistance, are excluded from the scope of this driving automation taxonomy because they do not perform part or all of the DDT on a sustained basis and, rather, merely provide momentary intervention during potentially hazardous situations. Due to the momentary nature of the actions of active safety systems, their intervention does not change or eliminate the role of the driver in performing part or all of the DDT, and thus are not considered to be driving automation.

Reactions: scottf200
It depends what exactly we are talking about. If you mean "Lane Keep Assist" where the system just nudges you back in the lane, that is an active safety system, not a Level 1 system, because it does not perform a DDT in a sustained way. If you are referring to what Tesla has where auto steer controls steering to keep you in the lane, what I call "Lane Keeping", that is NOT an active safety system but would be a Level 1 feature since it does perform a DDT in a sustained way.

From SAE document:

Active safety systems, such as electronic stability control and automated emergency braking, and certain types of driver assistance systems, such as lane keeping assistance, are excluded from the scope of this driving automation taxonomy because they do not perform part or all of the DDT on a sustained basis and, rather, merely provide momentary intervention during potentially hazardous situations. Due to the momentary nature of the actions of active safety systems, their intervention does not change or eliminate the role of the driver in performing part or all of the DDT, and thus are not considered to be driving automation.

I edited my post to add additional information.

Lane-Keeping systems are designed to nudge you back into the lane, and they shouldn't be confused with lane-steering systems that are designed to do the steering for you.

Lane-Keep systems are meant to assist you while YOU do the steering.

Lane-Steering systems are meant to do the steering for you.

If you're doing the steering then it's L1.

If the car is doing the steering than its L2 (when combined with adaptive cruise control). The best example of an L2 system is the Cadillac supercruise where you don't even have to have your hands on the steering wheel at all when its engaged.

If you use a lane-keep system without doing the steering you're going to ping-pong between the lanes. Ping-Ponging between the lanes is not L2 driving.

Lane-Keeping systems are designed to nudge you back into the lane, and they shouldn't be confused with lane-steering systems that are designed to do the steering for you.

Lane-Keep systems are meant to assist you while YOU do the steering.

Lane-Steering systems are meant to do the steering for you.

If you're doing the steering then it's L1.

If the car is doing the steering than its L2 (when combined with adaptive cruise control).

If you use a lane-keep system without doing the steering you're going to ping-pong between the lanes. Ping-Ponging between the lanes is not L2 driving.

I know this. I was trying to say that it is confusing because we are using the terms differently.

For me,

Lane Keep Assist = the car just nudges you (what you call "Lane Keeping")

Lane Keeping = the car does the steering (what you call "Lane steering")

I know this. I was trying to say that it is confusing because I use "Lane keeping" to mean "lane steering".

But, that's not what the industry uses and its also not what the article is referring to.

The article specifically says lane-keep assist systems.

The vast majority of systems on the market today are only lane-keeping assist systems, and not lane-steering.

This is extremely important when talking about L2 systems when it comes to safety. Its often argued that Tesla doesn't add safety with AP because Lane-Keeping systems already provide the safety level of preventing a driver from accidentally leaving the lane. So there is no reason to take it further, and taking it further is just going to induce them into being distracted. So its helpful to have information that even lane-keeping assist plus adaptive cruise control is already being abused. If it's already being abused then why not introduce full lane-steering so at least they won't be ping-ponging. Plus we can add driver monitoring at L2, and call it good.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
But, that's not what the industry uses and its also not what the article is referring to.

The article specifically says lane-keep assist systems.

The vast majority of systems on the market today are only lane-keeping assist systems, and not lane-steering.

This is extremely important when talking about L2 systems when it comes to safety. Its often argued that Tesla doesn't add safety with AP because Lane-Keeping systems already provide the safety level of preventing a driver from accidentally leaving the lane. So there is no reason to take it further, and taking it further is just going to induce them into being distracted. So its helpful to have information that even lane-keeping assist plus adaptive cruise control is already being abused. If it's already being abused then why not introduce full lane-steering so at least they won't be ping-ponging. Plus we can add driver monitoring at L2, and call it good.

Sorry. You said "lane keeping" instead of "lane keep assist". Just a semantics things.

I do agree that lane keep assist is not L1 and lane steering is L1.

I think part of the reason why AP's auto steer + adaptive cruise control can induce complacency in drivers is because those two features can simulate "self-driving" in simple driving scenarios. There are going to be simple driving scenarios like a mostly straight highway with light traffic where keeping in the lane and keeping a safe distance from the car in front is the entire DDT, at least for a short while, so a system that does those two things, actually is doing the entire DDT at least temporarily. So it will feel like the car is autonomous. Of course, the car is actually not autonomous because as soon as anything happens on the road that the system is not able to handle, it will fail. So the illusion of autonomous driving is temporary.

I do think that a good argument could be made that L1 and L2, even L3, should be discontinued when safe and reliable L4 autonomous driving becomes a reality. At that point, the human can drive when the L4 system can't (because you are outside it's ODD) but you make it as safe as possible with robust active safety systems, or you let the L4 autonomous car drive itself when it is able to do so safely. Best of both worlds. And of course, if safe and reliable L5 autonomy ever becomes a reality than you could discontinue all the other levels and just have L5 autonomous driving all the time and nothing else.

Ok, @S4WRXTTCS you are right. I see that the SAE doesn't consider lane keep assist to be L2.
I suspect the evidence that they claim exists that L1 systems are not subject to abuse are studies of adaptive cruise control systems which have existed for many years. I could definitely see lane keep assist being subject to abuse.

Ok, @S4WRXTTCS you are right. I see that the SAE doesn't consider lane keep assist to be L2.
I suspect the evidence that they claim exists that L1 systems are not subject to abuse are studies of adaptive cruise control systems which have existed for many years. I could definitely see lane keep assist being subject to abuse.

To me, it does NOT seem like 'lane keep assist' ... the ping-pong nudging (defn below) would be abused because it would be so so annoying.
Now 'lane steering' ... like Tesla 'AutoSteer' subset of AutoPilot does seem like it could be abused since it lets your mind 'wander' more as you get 'used' to the car doing the heavy-lifting.

Lane Keep Assist = the car just nudges you (what you call "Lane Keeping")
Lane Keeping = the car does the steering (what you call "Lane steering")

Hi,

If a Level 3 autonomous driving system reaches it's limit and sends a takeover request but the driver isn't able to take over control in time, is it safe for the car to slow down and stop in the same lane or should the system maintain longitudinal and lateral control? For instance, if the car is on a curved road, there might be an issue if the system maintains the steering wheel angle and speed while exiting the curve.

Thank you

Hi,

If a Level 3 autonomous driving system reaches it's limit and sends a takeover request but the driver isn't able to take over control in time, is it safe for the car to slow down and stop in the same lane or should the system maintain longitudinal and lateral control? For instance, if the car is on a curved road, there might be an issue if the system maintains the steering wheel angle and speed while exiting the curve.

Thank you

The short answer is that L3 should be able to maintain longitudinal and lateral control for at least a few seconds after notifying the driver to take over. In some situations, L3 can perform it's own fall-back to reach minimum risk condition (MRC) such as pulling over to the side of the road or slowly stopping in the lane and putting on the hazards.

Also, L3 requires some type of driver monitoring system to check if the driver is able to take over or not. Usually, this system would be a driver facing camera that can detect the face of the driver. If the driver monitoring system detects that the driver is not able to take over, L3 should be able to reach MRC on its own, such as pulling over or stopping in the lane and putting on the hazards. Again, that would depend on how the system was designed.

Here's what the SAE document says on the subject:

------------
NOTE 1: The DDT and the DDT fallback are distinct functions, and the capability to perform one does not necessarily entail the ability to perform the other. Thus, a level 3 ADS, which is capable of performing the entire DDT within its ODD, may not be capable of performing the DDT fallback in all situations that require it and thus will issue a request to intervene to the DDT fallback-ready user when necessary.

NOTE 2: Some level 3 features may be designed to automatically perform the fallback and achieve a minimal risk condition in some circumstances, such as when an obstacle-free, adjacent shoulder is present, but not in others, such as when no such road shoulder is available. The assignment of level 3 therefore does not restrict the ADS from automatically achieving the MRC, but it cannot guarantee automated achievement of MRC in all cases within its ODD. Moreover, automated MRC achievement in some, but not all, circumstances that demand it does not constitute level 4 functionality.

NOTE 3: At level 3, an ADS is capable of continuing to perform the DDT for at least several seconds after providing the fallback-ready user with a request to intervene. The DDT fallback-ready user is then expected to achieve a minimal risk condition if s/he determines it to be necessary.
------------

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
SAE published a revised version of their SAE levels, dated April 2021. There are no big fundamental changes to the levels. However, the SAE did make some changes to clarify the levels.

strike-through means deleted from previous version
bold text means new content added in revised version

5.1 LEVEL or CATEGORY 0 - NO DRIVING AUTOMATION
The performance by the driver of the entire DDT, even when enhanced by active safety systems.

5.2 LEVEL or CATEGORY 1 - DRIVER ASSISTANCE
The sustained and ODD-specific execution by a driving automation system of either the lateral or the longitudinal vehicle motion control subtask of the DDT (but not both simultaneously) with the expectation that the driver performs the remainder of the DDT.

NOTE: A level 1 feature performing either the lateral or the longitudinal vehicle motion control subtask of the DDT is capable of only limited OEDR within its dimension (lateral or longitudinal), meaning that there are some events that the driving automation system is not capable of recognizing or responding to. Therefore, the driver must supervise the driving automation system performance by completing the OEDR subtask of the DDT as well as performing the other dimension of vehicle motion control. See Figure 1 2 (discussing the three primary subtasks of the DDT).

NOTE 2: The term “driver assistance” as a modifier is also commonly used to describe automotive features that are not considered to be driving automation system features, because they do not provide sustained performance of part or all of the DDT.

5.3 LEVEL or CATEGORY 2 - PARTIAL DRIVING AUTOMATION
The sustained and ODD-specific execution by a driving automation system of both the lateral and longitudinal vehicle motion control subtasks of the DDT with the expectation that the driver completes the OEDR subtask and supervises the driving automation system.

NOTE: A level 2 driving automation feature is capable of only limited OEDR, meaning that there are some events that the driving automation system is not capable of recognizing or responding to. Therefore, the driver supervises the driving automation system performance by completing the OEDR subtask of the DDT. See Figure 1 2 (discussing the three primary subtasks of the DDT).

5.4 LEVEL or CATEGORY 3 - CONDITIONAL DRIVING AUTOMATION
The sustained and ODD-specific performance by an ADS of the entire DDT with the expectation that the DDT fallback-ready user is receptive to ADS-issued requests to intervene, as well as to DDT performance-relevant system failures in other vehicle systems, and will respond appropriately.

NOTE 1: Unlike Level 1 and 2 driver support features, all Level 3 and 4 ADS features are designed to monitor and enforce their ODD limitations while engaged, and to prevent engagement or operation outside of their prescribed ODD.

NOTE 2 The DDT fallback-ready user need not supervise a level 3 ADS while it is engaged but is expected to be prepared to either resume the DDT when the ADS issues a request to intervene or to perform the fallback and achieve a minimal risk condition if the failure condition precludes normal operation.

NOTE 3: A level 3 ADS’s DDT fallback-ready user is also expected to be receptive to evident DDT performance relevant system failures in vehicle systems that do not necessarily trigger an ADS-issued request to intervene, such as a broken body or a suspension component.

NOTE 4: In the event of a DDT performance-relevant system failure in a level 3 ADS or in the event that the ADS will soon exit its ODD, the ADS will issue a request to intervene within sufficient time for a typical person to respond appropriately to the driving situation at hand.

NOTE 5: An “appropriate” response by a DDT fallback-ready user to a request to intervene may entail bringing the vehicle to a minimal risk condition or continuing to operate the vehicle after the ADS has disengaged. EXAMPLE: An ADS feature capable of performing the entire DDT in low-speed, stop-and-go freeway traffic.

NOTE 6: Although automated DDT fallback performance is not expected of Level 3 ADS features, a Level 3 feature may be capable of performing the DDT fallback and achieving a minimal risk condition under certain, limited conditions.

EXAMPLE: An ADS feature capable of performing the entire DDT in low-speed, stop-and-go freeway traffic.

5.5 LEVEL or CATEGORY 4 - HIGH DRIVING AUTOMATION
The sustained and ODD-specific performance by an ADS of the entire DDT and DDT fallback, without any expectation that a user will respond to a request to intervene.

NOTE 1: The user does not need to supervise a level 4 ADS feature or be receptive to a request to intervene while the ADS is engaged. A level 4 ADS is capable of automatically performing DDT fallback, as well as achieving a minimal risk condition if a user does not resume performance of the DDT. This automated DDT fallback and minimal risk condition achievement capability is the primary difference between level 4 and level 3 ADS features. This means that the user of an engaged level 4 ADS feature is a passenger who need not respond to requests to intervene or to DDT performance-relevant system failures.

NOTE 2: Level 4 ADS features may be designed to operate the vehicle throughout complete trips (e.g., a closed campus shuttle feature), or they may be designed to operate the vehicle during only part of a given trip, after ODD requirements are met (e.g., a high-speed freeway cruising feature), For example, in order to complete a given trip, a user of a vehicle equipped with a level 4 ADS feature designed to operate the vehicle during high-speed freeway conditions will generally choose to perform the DDT when the freeway ends; otherwise the ADS will automatically perform DDT fallback and achieve a minimal risk condition as needed. However, unlike at level 3, this user is not a DDT fallback-ready user while the ADS is engaged (see Example 2, below), and thus is not expected to respond to a request to intervene in order to perform the fallback. Nevertheless, in the case that a Level 4 sub-trip feature reaches its ODD limit, the ADS may issue an alert to the passenger that s/he should resume driving in order to complete their trip. (Note that in this latter case, the alert in question is not a request to intervene, because it does not signal the need for fallback performance.)

EXAMPLE 1: A level 4 ADS feature capable of performing the entire DDT during valet parking (i.e., curb-to-door or vice versa) without any driver supervision.

EXAMPLE 2: A level 4 ADS feature capable of performing the entire DDT during sustained operation on a motorway or freeway (i.e., within its ODD). (Note: The presence of a user in the driver’s seat who is capable of performing the DDT is envisioned in this example, as driver performance of the DDT would have been necessary before entering, and would again be necessary after leaving, the motorway or freeway. Thus, such a feature would alert the user that s/he should resume vehicle operation shortly before exiting the ODD, but if the user fails to respond to such an alert, the ADS will nevertheless perform the DDT fallback and achieve a minimal risk condition automatically.)

EXAMPLE 3: A driverless operation dispatcher may engage a level 4 ADS-DV capable of following a pre-defined route within a confined geographical area (e.g., residential community, military base, university campus).

5.6 LEVEL or CATEGORY 5 - FULL DRIVING AUTOMATION
The sustained and unconditional (i.e., not ODD-specific) performance by an ADS of the entire DDT and DDT fallback without any expectation that a user will respond to a request to intervene.

NOTE 1: “Unconditional/not ODD-specific” means that the ADS can operate the vehicle under all driver-manageable road conditions within its region of the world. This means, for example, that there are no design-based weather, time-of-day, or geographical restrictions on where and when the ADS can operate the vehicle. However, there may be conditions not manageable by a driver in which the ADS would also be unable to complete a given trip (e.g., white-out snow storm, flooded roads, glare ice, etc.) until or unless the adverse conditions clear. At the onset of such unmanageable conditions the ADS would perform the DDT fallback to achieve a minimal risk condition (e.g., by pulling over to the side of the road and waiting for the conditions to change).

NOTE 2: In the event of a DDT performance-relevant system failure (of an ADS or the vehicle), a level 5 ADS automatically performs the DDT fallback and achieves a minimal risk condition

NOTE 3: The user does not need to supervise a level 5 ADS, nor be receptive to a request to intervene while it is engaged.

EXAMPLE: A vehicle with an ADS that, once programmed with a destination, is capable of operating the vehicle throughout complete trips on public roadways, regardless of the starting and end points or intervening road, traffic, and weather conditions.

ODD is an odd acronym in this context :)

A quick search found a little presentation (Europe) on it.

ODD – Operational Design Domain ● A description of the specific operating conditions in which the automated driving system is designed to properly operate, including but not limited to roadway types, speed range, environmental conditions (weather, daytime/nighttime, etc.), prevailing traffic law and regulations, and other domain constraints [Waymo 2017]

https://www.connectedautomateddriving.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Risto-Kulmala_Session-1.3.pdf

ODD is an odd acronym in this context :)

A quick search found a little presentation (Europe) on it.

ODD – Operational Design Domain ● A description of the specific operating conditions in which the automated driving system is designed to properly operate, including but not limited to roadway types, speed range, environmental conditions (weather, daytime/nighttime, etc.), prevailing traffic law and regulations, and other domain constraints [Waymo 2017]

https://www.connectedautomateddriving.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Risto-Kulmala_Session-1.3.pdf

Yes. That is the official definition of ODD. It basically just means all the conditions where the ADS is designed to work in.

What I find interesting with the changes in the revised SAE document is that they now specify that L3 and L4 must be able to monitor and enforce the ODD limitations of the system. I know there has been some criticism that Tesla should better prevent users from engaging AP or FSD Beta in areas where it is not designed to work. But according to the SAE, since the system is L2, Tesla does not have to prevent the user from using it in conditions where it is not designed to work. However, if AP/FSD Beta were to become L3+, Tesla would need to prevent users from turning it on outside of its ODD.

What I find interesting with the changes in the revised SAE document is that they now specify that L3 and L4 must be able to monitor and enforce the ODD limitations of the system. I know there has been some criticism that Tesla should better prevent users from engaging AP or FSD Beta in areas where it is not designed to work. But according to the SAE, since the system is L2, Tesla does not have to prevent the user from using it in conditions where it is not designed to work. However, if AP/FSD Beta were to become L3+, Tesla would need to prevent users from turning it on outside of its ODD.
That is a little fuzzy to me. If the current AP (quasi-FSD) is mainly supposed to work on highways ... but I use it in suburban 35-55 roads that are both divided and not-divided then this is a case where it shouldn't technically be able to turned on? There are times where I can not turn it on unless it sees a clear path and lines currently.

However, the 'FSD beta' is currently touted as city capable so the distinction of "engaging AP or FSD Beta in areas where it is not designed to work" really is fuzzy to me as that means you can turn it on virtually anywhere (highway, city, suburbia ... but not country dirt roads or something I guess ... DirtyTesla YT certainly does tho) .

That is a little fuzzy to me. If the current AP (quasi-FSD) is mainly supposed to work on highways ... but I use it in suburban 35-55 roads that are both divided and not-divided then this is a case where it shouldn't technically be able to turned on? There are times where I can not turn it on unless it sees a clear path and lines currently.

I believe the owner manual states that AP should only be used on highways. That's because AP is not designed to handle city situations like parked cars on the side of a narrow street or making turns at intersections. However, AP only requires good enough lane lines to activate. So it is possible to activate AP on non-highways such as city streets or state roads. This is the point of contention: should Tesla restrict AP to only activate on highways since that is where it is technically designed to work? SAE seems to say no, it is not necessary to restrict AP to only highways since it is L2. The idea is that L2 requires constant driver supervision so it is "ok" to use it outside its ODD since the driver has to constantly supervise anyway. L3-L4 do not require driver supervision so it is important to make sure the systems are only used inside their ODD where they are designed to work.

However, the 'FSD beta' is currently touted as city capable so the distinction of "engaging AP or FSD Beta in areas where it is not designed to work" really is fuzzy to me as that means you can turn it on virtually anywhere (highway, city, suburbia ... but not country dirt roads or something I guess ... DirtyTesla YT certainly does tho) .

"FSD Beta" is different. It is designed to work on city streets. So using FSD Beta on city streets would be inside its ODD. FSD Beta is Tesla's attempt at FSD outside of highways so it is designed to be used on non-highway roads.

I believe the owner manual states that AP should only be used on highways. That's because AP is not designed to handle city situations like parked cars on the side of a narrow street or making turns at intersections.
We have been through this a number of times. That user manual is outdated.

There are specific features in AP that are only useful in city roads. These were special features added in previous versions are highlighted - tweeted by Musk etc.

- Stop sign recognition
- Traffic light recognition
- Follow traffic at green lights
- Limit speed to 5+ street speed limit

I'm probably missing a few more ...

SAE published a revised version of their SAE levels, dated April 2021. There are no big fundamental changes to the levels. However, the SAE did make some changes to clarify the levels.

strike-through means deleted from previous version
bold text means new content added in revised version

5.1 LEVEL or CATEGORY 0 - NO DRIVING AUTOMATION
The performance by the driver of the entire DDT, even when enhanced by active safety systems.

5.2 LEVEL or CATEGORY 1 - DRIVER ASSISTANCE
The sustained and ODD-specific execution by a driving automation system of either the lateral or the longitudinal vehicle motion control subtask of the DDT (but not both simultaneously) with the expectation that the driver performs the remainder of the DDT.

NOTE: A level 1 feature performing either the lateral or the longitudinal vehicle motion control subtask of the DDT is capable of only limited OEDR within its dimension (lateral or longitudinal), meaning that there are some events that the driving automation system is not capable of recognizing or responding to. Therefore, the driver must supervise the driving automation system performance by completing the OEDR subtask of the DDT as well as performing the other dimension of vehicle motion control. See Figure 1 2 (discussing the three primary subtasks of the DDT).

NOTE 2: The term “driver assistance” as a modifier is also commonly used to describe automotive features that are not considered to be driving automation system features, because they do not provide sustained performance of part or all of the DDT.

5.3 LEVEL or CATEGORY 2 - PARTIAL DRIVING AUTOMATION
The sustained and ODD-specific execution by a driving automation system of both the lateral and longitudinal vehicle motion control subtasks of the DDT with the expectation that the driver completes the OEDR subtask and supervises the driving automation system.

NOTE: A level 2 driving automation feature is capable of only limited OEDR, meaning that there are some events that the driving automation system is not capable of recognizing or responding to. Therefore, the driver supervises the driving automation system performance by completing the OEDR subtask of the DDT. See Figure 1 2 (discussing the three primary subtasks of the DDT).

5.4 LEVEL or CATEGORY 3 - CONDITIONAL DRIVING AUTOMATION
The sustained and ODD-specific performance by an ADS of the entire DDT with the expectation that the DDT fallback-ready user is receptive to ADS-issued requests to intervene, as well as to DDT performance-relevant system failures in other vehicle systems, and will respond appropriately.

NOTE 1: Unlike Level 1 and 2 driver support features, all Level 3 and 4 ADS features are designed to monitor and enforce their ODD limitations while engaged, and to prevent engagement or operation outside of their prescribed ODD.

NOTE 2 The DDT fallback-ready user need not supervise a level 3 ADS while it is engaged but is expected to be prepared to either resume the DDT when the ADS issues a request to intervene or to perform the fallback and achieve a minimal risk condition if the failure condition precludes normal operation.

NOTE 3: A level 3 ADS’s DDT fallback-ready user is also expected to be receptive to evident DDT performance relevant system failures in vehicle systems that do not necessarily trigger an ADS-issued request to intervene, such as a broken body or a suspension component.

NOTE 4: In the event of a DDT performance-relevant system failure in a level 3 ADS or in the event that the ADS will soon exit its ODD, the ADS will issue a request to intervene within sufficient time for a typical person to respond appropriately to the driving situation at hand.

NOTE 5: An “appropriate” response by a DDT fallback-ready user to a request to intervene may entail bringing the vehicle to a minimal risk condition or continuing to operate the vehicle after the ADS has disengaged. EXAMPLE: An ADS feature capable of performing the entire DDT in low-speed, stop-and-go freeway traffic.

NOTE 6: Although automated DDT fallback performance is not expected of Level 3 ADS features, a Level 3 feature may be capable of performing the DDT fallback and achieving a minimal risk condition under certain, limited conditions.

EXAMPLE: An ADS feature capable of performing the entire DDT in low-speed, stop-and-go freeway traffic.

5.5 LEVEL or CATEGORY 4 - HIGH DRIVING AUTOMATION
The sustained and ODD-specific performance by an ADS of the entire DDT and DDT fallback, without any expectation that a user will respond to a request to intervene.

NOTE 1: The user does not need to supervise a level 4 ADS feature or be receptive to a request to intervene while the ADS is engaged. A level 4 ADS is capable of automatically performing DDT fallback, as well as achieving a minimal risk condition if a user does not resume performance of the DDT. This automated DDT fallback and minimal risk condition achievement capability is the primary difference between level 4 and level 3 ADS features. This means that the user of an engaged level 4 ADS feature is a passenger who need not respond to requests to intervene or to DDT performance-relevant system failures.

NOTE 2: Level 4 ADS features may be designed to operate the vehicle throughout complete trips (e.g., a closed campus shuttle feature), or they may be designed to operate the vehicle during only part of a given trip, after ODD requirements are met (e.g., a high-speed freeway cruising feature), For example, in order to complete a given trip, a user of a vehicle equipped with a level 4 ADS feature designed to operate the vehicle during high-speed freeway conditions will generally choose to perform the DDT when the freeway ends; otherwise the ADS will automatically perform DDT fallback and achieve a minimal risk condition as needed. However, unlike at level 3, this user is not a DDT fallback-ready user while the ADS is engaged (see Example 2, below), and thus is not expected to respond to a request to intervene in order to perform the fallback. Nevertheless, in the case that a Level 4 sub-trip feature reaches its ODD limit, the ADS may issue an alert to the passenger that s/he should resume driving in order to complete their trip. (Note that in this latter case, the alert in question is not a request to intervene, because it does not signal the need for fallback performance.)

EXAMPLE 1: A level 4 ADS feature capable of performing the entire DDT during valet parking (i.e., curb-to-door or vice versa) without any driver supervision.

EXAMPLE 2: A level 4 ADS feature capable of performing the entire DDT during sustained operation on a motorway or freeway (i.e., within its ODD). (Note: The presence of a user in the driver’s seat who is capable of performing the DDT is envisioned in this example, as driver performance of the DDT would have been necessary before entering, and would again be necessary after leaving, the motorway or freeway. Thus, such a feature would alert the user that s/he should resume vehicle operation shortly before exiting the ODD, but if the user fails to respond to such an alert, the ADS will nevertheless perform the DDT fallback and achieve a minimal risk condition automatically.)

EXAMPLE 3: A driverless operation dispatcher may engage a level 4 ADS-DV capable of following a pre-defined route within a confined geographical area (e.g., residential community, military base, university campus).

5.6 LEVEL or CATEGORY 5 - FULL DRIVING AUTOMATION
The sustained and unconditional (i.e., not ODD-specific) performance by an ADS of the entire DDT and DDT fallback without any expectation that a user will respond to a request to intervene.

NOTE 1: “Unconditional/not ODD-specific” means that the ADS can operate the vehicle under all driver-manageable road conditions within its region of the world. This means, for example, that there are no design-based weather, time-of-day, or geographical restrictions on where and when the ADS can operate the vehicle. However, there may be conditions not manageable by a driver in which the ADS would also be unable to complete a given trip (e.g., white-out snow storm, flooded roads, glare ice, etc.) until or unless the adverse conditions clear. At the onset of such unmanageable conditions the ADS would perform the DDT fallback to achieve a minimal risk condition (e.g., by pulling over to the side of the road and waiting for the conditions to change).

NOTE 2: In the event of a DDT performance-relevant system failure (of an ADS or the vehicle), a level 5 ADS automatically performs the DDT fallback and achieves a minimal risk condition

NOTE 3: The user does not need to supervise a level 5 ADS, nor be receptive to a request to intervene while it is engaged.

EXAMPLE: A vehicle with an ADS that, once programmed with a destination, is capable of operating the vehicle throughout complete trips on public roadways, regardless of the starting and end points or intervening road, traffic, and weather conditions.
Thanks for the update; glad to see this thread still alive!