Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

So I have just purchased my private number plate for my Tesla 3 - which is yet to be delivered....

I am confused as to know, as my family company has purchased the vehicle, however I am going to be the main driver and keeper of the vehicle....

On the Tesla portal (my account) how can you find out what Tesla will use to put on the registration of the vehicle on the V5? Will they use what is here:

Registration Details

The registrant(s) need to be present for delivery.

If so, mine is laid out as follows:

My name
Company name
Companies address
Company Registration number GB XXXX XXXXX XXXX

However if I am to be the registered keeper of the vehicle and then with the company owning the vehicle, do I need to get this changed to

My name
Company name
My personal address?

I ask this as I am not sure whether I should change on DVLA where my private number plate is to change the nominee name and address of the private plate I have bought to this so I can get it put on the car?

Any help would be great....

Many Thanks in advance

Tesla registered my car in the name of my company as I asked them to and as you have above.

When I collected the car it was on a Tesla allocated number then as soon as V5 arrived I transferred the private number (which was in my personal name) to the Tesla online and then put then new plates on.

It was very simple.

If the company owns the car it's fine to have the company as the registered keeper.

Tesla registered my car in the name of my company as I asked them to and as you have above.

When I collected the car it was on a Tesla allocated number then as soon as V5 arrived I transferred the private number (which was in my personal name) to the Tesla online and then put then new plates on.

It was very simple.

If the company owns the car it's fine to have the company as the registered keeper.

I have received my entitlement V750 for my private plates and it is in my personal name as I purchased it and then it states the company is a nominee so I see now yes I can get this put on so happy with that :) Thanks again.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
I have a private hire contract with Tesla and they are refusing to allow me to put a personal plate on the car.
They are retaining the V5C, making Tesla the official keeper and not me. I guess that this makes Tesla responsible under Criminal law for Insurance and Tax. I am only bound under Contract law, from the Private Hire Agreement.
It's really annoying not to be allowed to use a personal plate.
In addition, without a V5C I cannot get a resident's permit to park outside my house and it makes getting a vehicle pass for work tricky too.
Anyone had this intransigence before? Any ideas how to unlock it?