Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, has anyone else tried to organise their new vehicle to be fitted with private plates ? Tesla seem happy to provide number plates but say these can only be fitted once you have collected it ?

I have a leased Mode 3 Performance due sometime in the New Year; Tesla say that it being a lease car has nothing to do with being unable to fit private plates to it.

I'm just trying to save issues / time / cost as having to change after collection and notifying DVLA / Insurance / lease company will surely be time consuming and potentially costly.

Tesla will register your Model 3 with their assigned registration plate. You have no choice over the plate assigned to your car, either by selecting from a pool of plates, or using your own number. They have a fixed process.

If you want to assign a cherished plate to your Model 3, you must wait a few days for V5 to come through, and go through the process to get the new mark assigned to your car.

Also, not having plate assigned as the only plate on the car makes it much easier to remove on resale/end of lease/right off. It just goes back on retention and the original plate reassigned back on the car.

Tesla will register your Model 3 with their assigned registration plate. You have no choice over the plate assigned to your car, either by selecting from a pool of plates, or using your own number. They have a fixed process.

If you want to assign a cherished plate to your Model 3, you must wait a few days for V5 to come through, and go through the process to get the new mark assigned to your car.

Also, not having plate assigned as the only plate on the car makes it much easier to remove on resale/end of lease/right off. It just goes back on retention and the original plate reassigned back on the car.

Thank you for your reply VanillaAir, much appreciated... Just seems a pain to have to go through contacting DVLA / Insurance etc etc to make (what I would imagine to be costly admin) changes.

Hopefully one day they will relax this but Tesla seem to work to a one size fits all arrangement in many areas.

DVLA is a 5 minute task to assign a plate on retention to a vehicle, likewise insurance should be straight forward - much easier than it use to be - all online now and no need to wait for hours in the local licensing office. No experience on lease side of things other than when swmbo had a company car it was a case of no private plates.

Reactions: Chalks99
Do you mind me asking whether you leased or purchased as I suspect this still has something to do with it ?

I bought both the cars. The first through their used inventory in September 2016, the second in June 2019. Originally the first car had it's original plate and once things had been registered I tried to fix the new plates myself and effed it up! Contacted SC and they said to take it in the following morning and they would remedy. This they did, including 'mending' the plate holder where I had damaged it - all completely free of charge and in around 45 minutes. Once I was close to delivery in June, I re-registered the old car, had new plates made up and took them to SC. Again, fitted completely FOC.

I actually prefer to do it myself. For one thing it means you have an original number signed to the car which it usually gets back when you move your private plate to another car. It is the easiest thing in the world to do and is instantaneous online once you have the V5 for the Tesla.
When I got my new MX last month I put my private number from my earlier car on retention. I picked up the MX with it’s normal number but Tesla also gave me a set of plates with my personal number. As soon as I got the V5 for the Tesla (4 days after getting the MX) I transferred my personal registration off retention to the Tesla and got permission to replace the number plates immediately. Don’t forget to tell your insurance company though and keep the old plates for when you sell on the Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: KennethS
I actually prefer to do it myself. For one thing it means you have an original number signed to the car which it usually gets back when you move your private plate to another car. It is the easiest thing in the world to do and is instantaneous online once you have the V5 for the Tesla.
When I got my new MX last month I put my private number from my earlier car on retention. I picked up the MX with it’s normal number but Tesla also gave me a set of plates with my personal number. As soon as I got the V5 for the Tesla (4 days after getting the MX) I transferred my personal registration off retention to the Tesla and got permission to replace the number plates immediately. Don’t forget to tell your insurance company though and keep the old plates for when you sell on the Tesla.

Thank you for your input.... Great advice; as a matter on interest, did the insurance company charge you for changing the details ?

I got a Tesla issued plate and I transferred my plate (kinda reads VOLTS) when the V5c came in. You can do the cherished plate transfer online nowadays. New V5c arrived in a few days. LV insurance notified by phone, new insurance docs came in email 19 mins later.

Ask Tesla. They may or may not make them up for free.

Tesla plates are very thin - actually metal. Most third party plates will not fit. So either way, even if you do find some thin after market ones somewhere, you wont have Halfords markings on them.

How do you go about getting a set of Tesla plates for your personal number, I would prefer to have Tesla marked on them than Halfords.

Tesla Birmingham are making me a set up with my private plate number which I can collect when I collect the car. I then need to do the swapping with V5 etc etc. Have been advised of a £29 something charge for this and said i'm fine with that.