Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pro Honda Glare Professional

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The detailer I've selected for my MS uses Pro Honda Glare Professional exclusively as a wax/paint sealant. Does anyone have any experience with, or opinion on this product?

I'm familiar with a number of these products but I've never heard of that one, which doesn't necessarily mean it's not good.

Here's a review I found on a Corvette forum. As the Corvette community has long been high on Zaino, this is a pretty strong endorsement.

Besides flying airplanes, one of my favorite hobbies is testing car wax. Waxes I have tried include Meguiar’s Gold Class, Meguiar’s NXT Generation Polymer wax, Klasse All in One, DP Detailers Pride Premium Surface Shield, Zaino, Liquid Glass, Griot’s 1-year Sealant, Mothers Reflections, Nu Finish one-year car polish, and Glare Professional Polish in the last two-years. I have been to the Meguiar’s Car Care School twice. Once in Oceanside, CA and the second time at their World Headquarters in Irvine, CA. I bought the Meguiar’s Orbital Buffer and their #83 polish and countless other products from the good folks at Meguiar’s. All their products are A #1 in my book. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like the ultimate Car Guy Barry Meguiar and his TV show Car Crazy.

Now, having said all that, I have waxed all three of my cars with Glare Professional Polish plus a Toyota Corolla from a visiting relative. Yes, if you come to visit us, you will get your car detailed. Of all the waxes I have tried I would rate Glare’s Professional Polish #1. It goes on easy and comes off even easier. Instructions said to use it on your glass and I did. I thought it made the windows easier to see through. Rub your hands on the glass and they just glide across the surface. Glare was also the slickest to the touch of all the waxes I have ever tried. The aviation community and Boeing like the product because it reduces parasite drag. Glare doesn’t have any but most all Polymer waxes are laced with a petroleum product that produces the wet look we all like. It doesn’t take long for those petroleum products to evaporate from the car so manufacturers have come up with a host of products to restore that wet look. Wrapped in a sheet of glass is the best way to describe the look produced by Glare, which enhances the look of Black, Silver, and White cars. Those three colors in particular need another clear coat in order to pop.

In summary, I loved the product. I like the way it looks. Depending on washings and the like, they say it can last up to 5-years. I can’t go that long between waxes so I will do mine once or twice a year. It has rendered all the other waxes on my car care shelf obsolete. You can learn more about it at their website: http://www.autopolish.net/. Forget all the claims about the product and just try it. Apparently Honda is re-labeling it for their dealerships. You can buy it for less here: http://www.parkeryamaha.com/index.as...D&ProdID=29301.

Last edited:
Thanks artsci. Another question; Will this product be applied directly onto the paint armored areas? Also, I'm assuming when the detailer claybars the car he will NOT claybar do the paint armored areas. Is that correct?

An an ideal world the car would be claybared before the paint armor is applied. There's no point in clay baring the the paint armor, although application of any wax or finish to the paint armor is normally done. The Glare evidently is recommended for those kinds of applications.

- - - Updated - - -

How would people in the know compare something like Glare Professional Polish with a paint protection film? What are the pros and cons of each, how do they address different problems? Thanks.

The Glare is paint protection, at least according to the claims the manufacturer makes. And therein lies the problem. If you read the manufacturer's claims, these products all sound like the best thing ever invented -- they last for years, produce a blinding shine, bond with the paint, are state-of-the art chemistry, etc, etc. So it really is difficult to know. And trustworthy, objective reviews are very hard to find. Most of the manufacturers have shills for their products who post what appear to be objective reviews. The Corvette site review of the Glare, for all I know, may have been posted by a Glare shill. I think the best way to decide is to rely on the experience and judgment of other owners or to test the stuff yourself. I'm a devoted Zaino user, but I've bought the Glare as well as several other products that I'm going to test on my Volt over the next few months. So by the time my Model S is delivered I'll be able to make a judgment about what I'll use on it.

So do you get paint protection like Glare / Zaino or do you get paint armor film?

The paint armor serves a different role - protection from stone chips and other road debris. No finish provides that kind of protection.

- - - Updated - - -

TY again artsci. My detailer says the Glare lasts 9-12 months. Is he just selling? Does it hurt to apply it once a year assuming he claybars also?

He could be right. Hard to know. But see my new thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12794-My-controlled-experiment-to-test-the-gloss-and-durability-of-the-top-paint-finishes.

Your post and my own questions about all of these claims inspired me to set up a test of these products to see what's true and what's just BS.

My experience with Glare Professional Polish

When I ordered my Model S about 2 months ago, I had stressed big time about the color choice. I really loved the black on Model S, but was very nervous about keeping the paint protected, especially from things such as bird droppings, bugs, tree sap, etc. which I know I won't be able to deal with right away. From experience, I knew black was a pain to keep looking good, and that silver or gray would be easy to maintain (relatively speaking). My wife finally talked me into getting black.

So I decided to give my month-old black Model S the Glare Professional Polish treatment yesterday. My main goals with this treatment were to be able to (a) get a mirror-like finish, and (b) protect the paint just enough to be able to wash the car easily once every 2-3 weeks without having to deal with cleaning in between.

First I thoroughly washed the car with Optimum No Rinse wash in my closed garage so as to prevent sunlight from accelerating spotting prior to drying, and to also minimize dust. I then got most of the water off using a leaf blower. Then finished off by drying thoroughly with a microfiber towel.

Satisfied with the wash, I now proceeded with Glare. The instructions call for 2 treatments.

In the first treatment, Glare is used as a polishing compound to get rid of paint imperfections, swirl marks etc. I used a clean microfiber towel to apply Glare in small quantities, one panel at a time, using a circular motion until the polish completely disappeared. This step requires patience and is well worth the effort.

In the second treatment, Glare is used as a wax. This time I simply spread Glare over the entire vehicle, a small amount at a time, using another clean microfiber towel. After approximately 10 minutes, the Glare dries to a whitish haze which I then just buffed off using yet another clean microfiber towel.

Overall it took me around 3 hours, and am very satisfied with the final results. I have attached a couple of pictures of the final result (taken with an iPhone 5 - apologies for the quality).

IMG_0528.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG