Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

problem with driver window creaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have an issue with my door which tesla is sort of refusing to take a look at.

pretty much when i recieved the car the right window would make noise when going over bumps and vibrate when listening to music. when the door handle is pushed away and pulled towards you the window seems to make a squeeky/ratteling sound.

The issue seems to be that the window is just a tad too high up - when the window is rolled down just a tiny bit the issue goes away. When the window is rolled up and down a little bit it sometimes goes away too for a few minutes but will start again.

When I recieved the car I managed to "treat" this by pushing the window with my hands down a little bit and just applying some force. After 3 months the issue has come back and i cant fix it. When I drove to Tesla to have this issue looked at the issue wasnt there for that one day (i have to drive 1600km to a service centre) and the second time they just didnt look at it. Not clear why but i have noticed that its less of an issue when its raining, possibly because the water lubricates the window a bit.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?

Sounds like the window may require a small adjustment, which the service center is best positioned to do. In the meantime...especially because of your description, clean the rubber seal surfaces around the window and apply a protectant. This is especially important with frameless windows like on Tesla models.

For cleaning, any decent diluted all purpose cleaner will work although I like a dedicated rubber cleaner. You can find decent ones OTC from Mother's, Meguiar's, etc. For protectant, I like a product like Nextzett Gummi Fledge although there are alternative products that should work as well. Try that out and see if it helps out.

I had that on a previous car (not tesla) and they had to technically adjust the window. The door panels had to be removed and they had tools that would go into small slots that allowed them to adjust it up or down as well as the angle it went up at. I saw the do it, it took 2 guys that new what they were doing and no way I would attempt that on my own.

You can try rubber conditioners on your seals as others suggested. I used Gummi Pfledge and that also solved some of my window creaks.

You can also try tilting the glass inboard to create more tension on the glass. One of my windows creaked and made a thump sound over bad roads. When I lowered it an inch, the glass started to rattle and vibrate against the seals. I adjusted the glass to angle the top inboard to create more tension and that solved my issue. If you're interested in DIY:

i have an issue with my door which tesla is sort of refusing to take a look at.

pretty much when i recieved the car the right window would make noise when going over bumps and vibrate when listening to music. when the door handle is pushed away and pulled towards you the window seems to make a squeeky/ratteling sound.

The issue seems to be that the window is just a tad too high up - when the window is rolled down just a tiny bit the issue goes away. When the window is rolled up and down a little bit it sometimes goes away too for a few minutes but will start again.

When I recieved the car I managed to "treat" this by pushing the window with my hands down a little bit and just applying some force. After 3 months the issue has come back and i cant fix it. When I drove to Tesla to have this issue looked at the issue wasnt there for that one day (i have to drive 1600km to a service centre) and the second time they just didnt look at it. Not clear why but i have noticed that its less of an issue when its raining, possibly because the water lubricates the window a bit.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?
So, can't you just roll the window down just a tiny bit, then set that as the top?