Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with early production Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Darryl

ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm
Jul 27, 2015
Palm Beach FL
I was wondering how many of those who took delivery in January-March are still having issues. My car was one of the first cars off of the production line, probably mabe the first or second day production started. In the first ten months I have had the car it has been in for service seven times for a total of over five months at the service center. Even though I love the Model X, I hate that it constantly has problems. I won't go over all of the problems. Even though some of the issues are minor it still means having to have it serviced. For example the car has been at the service center for the last two weeks. The driver's seat wasn't able to go forward or backwards. Even though this wasn't an issue for me my wife couldn't reach the peddles. Also the driving lights and headlights were out on the right side of the car which meant we couldn't drive at night.I have not been given a date when the work will be finished. In addition they have told me since the hatchback is misaligned it will require the replacement of the entire hatchback assembly. Once the assembly arrives they say they will need my car at least 6 weeks to do the replacement. This is our only car. I only have 3,000 on the car after the 10 months.

After paying $155k for my P90DL I am a very frustrated Tesla Owner.

I was wondering how many of those who took delivery in January-March are still having issues. My car was one of the first cars off of the production line, probably mabe the first or second day production started. In the first ten months I have had the car it has been in for service seven times for a total of over five months at the service center. Even though I love the Model X, I hate that it constantly has problems. I won't go over all of the problems. Even though some of the issues are minor it still means having to have it serviced. For example the car has been at the service center for the last two weeks. The driver's seat wasn't able to go forward or backwards. Even though this wasn't an issue for me my wife couldn't reach the peddles. Also the driving lights and headlights were out on the right side of the car which meant we couldn't drive at night.I have not been given a date when the work will be finished. In addition they have told me since the hatchback is misaligned it will require the replacement of the entire hatchback assembly. Once the assembly arrives they say they will need my car at least 6 weeks to do the replacement. This is our only car. I only have 3,000 on the car after the 10 months.

Have you looked into lemon laws. Sounds like your may qualify.

@Vitold

I was first trying to see if Tesla would swap it for one with the same options but which was new off the assembly line without me having to go down the "lemon law" route. I thought it would be in their and my best interest. I have read our state's lemon law and agree it would meet it and if I have to I would hire an attorney and go down this route. I made the request of the Tesla Regional Manager three weeks ago. I was told then it was required to be approved by the next level management. It has now been three weeks and no word.

@Vitold

I was first trying to see if Tesla would swap it for one with the same options but which was new off the assembly line without me having to go down the "lemon law" route. I thought it would be in their and my best interest. I have read our state's lemon law and agree it would meet it and if I have to I would hire an attorney and go down this route. I made the request of the Tesla Regional Manager three weeks ago. I was told then it was required to be approved by the next level management. It has now been three weeks and no word.

I hope they do the right thing, please keep us posted.

I have an early X, picked up March 17; vin 274. Have over 13,000 miles, including road trips from Denver to Las Vegas and from Colorado to California. Our Tesla X has been to the SC 3 times; nothing major; only once overnight. I feel bad for your poor experience. I hope most Tesla X owners have had a good experience similar to mine.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I took delivery at the very end of March, vin 5xx. 12k miles. I'd like to think things are getting better with ours, but I still do not trust the doors really at all (mostly the front doors, but occasionally the falcon doors don't close when they should). After the last recent service, the front doors have started acting up again lately, and it's a little hard to take...I think I've had 8 front door latch replacements so far. I lost count and am missing one service invoice...but it's at least 6 replacements (part revisions A through D). The left front and falcon doors didn't close all the way yesterday when supercharging during a heavy rainstorm and I had to run back and manually close them. Half of me is hoping it really is better finally, and half of me is kind of hoping the doors just fail completely again and make the whole thing just be over once and for all. (...fwiw I'm at 7 warranty service visits total, 51 days total...not as bad as yours, but still....approaching double the lemon-law qualification in CA and hitting multiple qualifications if not all). You should get yours replaced imho with that much time in service, that's far more. I will say the service people are pretty great. I'm happy to hear that many early cars were fine as well.

@Vitold

Your experience sounds awful, sorry to hear it. Put a deadline on the response from Tesla management. Something to the effect of if we can't come to a resolution of this issue in 2 weeks I will pursue my options under the lemon law.

@Darryl - Mine is a March 2016 build - vin 15XX. I've had issues and my car has been at the SC numerous times totaling well over 2 months. I'm at 14K miles now so my issues are nothing compared to yours - I feel your pain. I've had to be firm when I didn't get any answers but most of the times, I really can't complain. I hope there is a resolution to your issues soon.

Start the lemon law process right away. Your car is the reason they created lemon laws.

I have only had minor things fixed on my 85D but I will never buy an X. Too many big ticket items that will break like the falcon and auto open doors.

I have a March 2016 build VIN 02xx. I have 21K miles on it. It has been in the service center multiple times but longest times are for 4-5 days. They have been very good to me and are trying hard to fix everything I bring up. If my service manager has not been so reasonable to me I would be very upset. I thought of the lemon law but went past the mileage before I considered it heavily.

• Love
Reactions: hiroshiy
I have a March 2016 build VIN 02xx. I have 21K miles on it. It has been in the service center multiple times but longest times are for 4-5 days. They have been very good to me and are trying hard to fix everything I bring up. If my service manager has not been so reasonable to me I would be very upset. I thought of the lemon law but went past the mileage before I considered it heavily.

Didn't know lemon law had a millage, but either way I hope Tesla just fixes (I doubt it will happen) our cars for good once they figured out how to properly diagnose their cars.

March delivery here, several problems, almost all addressed by ranger service or with a couple of weeklong stays while I was otherwise traveling anyway except for a very inconvenient door latch failure. One visit was extended over a weekend when there was a part that needed overnighting. My shop is 4.5 hours away but if it were closer I could have taken the car back until the part arrived.
Is the shop time mostly time spent waiting for parts?

My shop offered to remove the rear hatch glass and adjust the hinge to fix some gap issues but the expectation was a couple of days worth of work, not weeks.

There are still some issues which I would like fixed but I gather they do not have good answers for yet so I'll drive the car in the meantime. If you have issues which make the car undriveable then by all means seek a replacement.

You need to get more aggressive with your demand for a replacement vehicle, I worked for Mercedes and Volvo and most of the time when we had a vehicle we could not fix the manufacture took it back. In the 25 years I worked in the automotive field very few cars went all the way through the Lemon Law process, you just need to kick this up to the top level management at Tesla. IMHO your car qualifies for a replacement, it has been unusable for far to long. As has been stated you could start the process if they do not respond and that should wake them up.