Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with early production Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a March 2016 build VIN 02xx. I have 21K miles on it. It has been in the service center multiple times but longest times are for 4-5 days. They have been very good to me and are trying hard to fix everything I bring up. If my service manager has not been so reasonable to me I would be very upset. I thought of the lemon law but went past the mileage before I considered it heavily.

I also have a March delivery VIN 27X and would say the above has been pretty much the same experience for me. Multiple trips to the SC some 4-5 days long the most recent to replace both half rods in the front. SC team has been very good and, like above, I'd say it'/ been OK. This is my 3rd Tesla An early build MS which traded late 2014 for an 85D. They have had just a few minor problems. Definitely some 'growing pains' with the X though nothing compared to you

Reactions: scottf200
As another example. I took it in four weeks ago for a problem with the driver's seat not adjusting and a problem with the right headlight. I Called them to get a status after the first week and was told parts were on order. I have left messages since with no response. As of Tuesday we will be into fifth week

As another example. I took it in four weeks ago for a problem with the driver's seat not adjusting and a problem with the right headlight. I Called them to get a status after the first week and was told parts were on order. I have left messages since with no response. As of Tuesday we will be into fifth week

If you're supporting Tesla because you believe in their mission that's great, but if this has been causing you trouble in your life for you or family members, it needs to be addressed. Then when you're happy, you'll happily spread the word/work of Tesla. Sometimes unfortunate situations like this will only push them to improve. If we all just sit back and take it up the ass then we're the ones at fault.

I'm being patient as they have been fixing my issues, but if I were in your shoes I would most likely start to really push them and proceed with a lemon. It's your money and life experience after all, not them at this point.

I tried to be proactive in my one experience at the service center (for a non-functioning front driver-side running light/turn indicator) by describing carefully the problem. My service rep ordered the part & made sure that it was in stock before scheduling my service visit. The service call should have taken only a few hours - until they determined the passenger-side running light also needed replacement. And that part was NOT in stock, so I had to wait 3 days for that part to arrive!

Oh well, I tried to be proactive...

I have an early X, picked up March 17; vin 274. Have over 13,000 miles, including road trips from Denver to Las Vegas and from Colorado to California. Our Tesla X has been to the SC 3 times; nothing major; only once overnight. I feel bad for your poor experience. I hope most Tesla X owners have had a good experience similar to mine.
I am schedule for SC visit #4. The driver door latch is not working correctly. About 25% of the time the door will not close and latch. Seems like the latch in the door closes and just hits the frame and just bounces back. After several minutes manually using the open door lever inside the car to keep the latch open i can eventually get door to close and latch. I have tried Model X Reset Techniques and did no good. Seems like many of the door latches are being replaced. SC appointment is for next Monday to replace both the driver and passenger side door latches. I also have an open item from last SC visit where they are suppose to replace the drive half shafts. The last item is that the center console cover will not stay open. I hope the SC will complete these tasks by the end of the day. No Tesla loaner this time; they have arranged a rental from Enterprise.

About 25% of the time the door will not close and latch. Seems like the latch in the door closes and just hits the frame and just bounces back. After several minutes manually using the open door lever inside the car to keep the latch open i can eventually get door to close and latch.
Go easy on that door. I had the same behavior until one day the latch just stopped working altogether and I had to abort a trip and drive home with the door taped shut. My guests (incl. satellite engineer) were not impressed. You may want to pick up some clear Gorilla tape to have in the car until the fix.

The service seems to vary greatly by location and how busy they are. Our service in NC is stellar and we've never had the car in longer than 1.5 days. That included replacing a second row seat (due to a minor upholstery issue), replacing front door latches, replacing the front half shafts, and a few other minor things. A couple of times they kept it overnight as they ordered parts for the next day. Hearing that there are service visits lasting weeks and nobody calls you back is a completely different experience than what we've had.

Reactions: PeterK
I am schedule for SC visit #4. The driver door latch is not working correctly. About 25% of the time the door will not close and latch. Seems like the latch in the door closes and just hits the frame and just bounces back. After several minutes manually using the open door lever inside the car to keep the latch open i can eventually get door to close and latch. I have tried Model X Reset Techniques and did no good. Seems like many of the door latches are being replaced. SC appointment is for next Monday to replace both the driver and passenger side door latches. I also have an open item from last SC visit where they are suppose to replace the drive half shafts. The last item is that the center console cover will not stay open. I hope the SC will complete these tasks by the end of the day. No Tesla loaner this time; they have arranged a rental from Enterprise.
I dropped off our X this morning at the Denver SC around 9am. We had a rental from Enterprise. We had a meeting in downtown Denver at 1pm and I was hoping we could pick up our X in the late afternoon. We are about an hour+ away. Will not happen as they had not started work on our X as of 2pm. Our service guy told us to go home and await a call when it is done. I think the Denver SC is really slammed. Parking is basically non existent. I hope they get a new location soon.

I was wondering how many of those who took delivery in January-March are still having issues. My car was one of the first cars off of the production line, probably mabe the first or second day production started. In the first ten months I have had the car it has been in for service seven times for a total of over five months at the service center. Even though I love the Model X, I hate that it constantly has problems. I won't go over all of the problems. Even though some of the issues are minor it still means having to have it serviced. For example the car has been at the service center for the last two weeks. The driver's seat wasn't able to go forward or backwards. Even though this wasn't an issue for me my wife couldn't reach the peddles. Also the driving lights and headlights were out on the right side of the car which meant we couldn't drive at night.I have not been given a date when the work will be finished. In addition they have told me since the hatchback is misaligned it will require the replacement of the entire hatchback assembly. Once the assembly arrives they say they will need my car at least 6 weeks to do the replacement. This is our only car. I only have 3,000 on the car after the 10 months.

After paying $155k for my P90DL I am a very frustrated Tesla Owner.
The drive seat was working in the beginning after delivered ??

Last week I finally got the call I was waiting for. The Tesla Regional Service Center manager called to tell me Tesla Managent in California had approved my request to be able to order a replacement Model X. They will be giving my a credit for the original amount paid along with the sales tax and registration fees. It will be reduced by a small fee for the 4,000 miles I have on the car. I will be responsible for any price difference between the old car and the new car. This will include going from a P90DL to a P100DL. I have also decided to go to the advanced autopilot with the self driving option. The Titanium Metalic is no longer available so am going with Red Multicoat. I had got it down to blue or red and red won out.

The total time at the service center was 177 days (including the time they were going to need to replace hatchback). This was to fix 40 issues and over 8 trips After I got it back from the last trip to the service center, three new problems developed (windshield wipers wouldn't automatically go on on during the rain, spoiler lost it's calibration, again, and rear seat wouldn't latch. It really was a lemon.

In order to keep my free Supercharger miles for life of the car I had to order my new car by no later than December 23rd and seven days later, December 30th the order wound be finalized.

I placed the order on the December 22nd just to be sure.This was my Christmas present from TESLA.

Here is what I ordered:

-> Model X P100D
-> ludicrous speed upgrade
-> upgraded red multi-coat paint
-> upgraded tan interior
-> tan leather seats
-> figured ash wood
-> light headliner
-> premium option
-> six seat option
-> active spoiler
-> Tesla Red brake calipers
-> smart air suspension
-> advanced autopilot option
-> full self driving option
-> upgraded radio
-> towing package
-> 72 amp charging
-> upgraded 20 inch silver helix wheels

Last week I finally got the call I was waiting for. The Tesla Regional Service Center manager called to tell me Tesla Managent in California had approved my request to be able to order a replacement Model X. They will be giving my a credit for the original amount paid along with the sales tax and registration fees. It will be reduced by a small fee for the 4,000 miles I have on the car. I will be responsible for any price difference between the old car and the new car. This will include going from a P90DL to a P100DL. I have also decided to go to the advanced autopilot with the self driving option. The Titanium Metalic is no longer available so am going with Red Multicoat. I had got it down to blue or red and red won out.

The total time at the service center was 177 days (including the time they were going to need to replace hatchback). This was to fix 40 issues and over 8 trips After I got it back from the last trip to the service center, three new problems developed (windshield wipers wouldn't automatically go on on during the rain, spoiler lost it's calibration, again, and rear seat wouldn't latch. It really was a lemon.

In order to keep my free Supercharger miles for life of the car I had to order my new car by no later than December 23rd and seven days later, December 30th the order wound be finalized.

I placed the order on the December 22nd just to be sure.This was my Christmas present from TESLA.

Here is what I ordered:

-> Model X P100D
-> upgraded tan interior
-> tan leather seats
-> figured ash wood
-> light headliner
-> premium option
-> six seat option
-> active spoiler
-> smart air suspension
-> upgraded radio
-> towing package
-> 72 amp charging
Sorry you had to go thru all this but glad you are getting a new X, Tesla did the right thing.

Here is what I ordered:

-> Model X P100D
-> upgraded tan interior
-> tan leather seats
-> figured ash wood
-> light headliner
-> premium option
-> six seat option
-> active spoiler
-> smart air suspension
-> upgraded radio
-> towing package
-> 72 amp charging
That my friend, is the dream machine. You will be livin large every time you go somewhere.

I just purchased an inventory/demo car with a huge discount and 2000 miles on it. The vin is 26xx, so not the earliest, but not the latest. This thread is scaring the ***t out of me. I hope I didn't buy a $100k headache. On the positive side, SC is only 2 miles from my house.

The car is being prepped now. Should I tell them to replace latches before it's delivered?

I just purchased an inventory/demo car with a huge discount and 2000 miles on it. The vin is 26xx, so not the earliest, but not the latest. This thread is scaring the ***t out of me. I hope I didn't buy a $100k headache. On the positive side, SC is only 2 miles from my house.

The car is being prepped now. Should I tell them to replace latches before it's delivered?

It wouldn't hurt. Just mention to them you heard it through the store and want them to make sure it's the new safer patches.

Did you get a loaner/service vehicle with 1.0 or 2.0? Just curious.