Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with Sleep? - Center screen dead & no nav/maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MD500_Pilot

I fly because it releases my mind.....
Supporting Member

So this morning I went to activate the heat in my car and my app told me that it could not communicate with my car. I eventually made it out to the car to find the main screen totally dead and when I hit the brake my IC came up with this message:

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 5.23.35 PM.png

The message never cleared so I hit the brakes again and it went away but then it took a good 5 minutes for the main screen to come live and then I saw this error:

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 5.25.33 PM.png

It took three resets before I got my center screen back with navigation and maps.

Has anyone one else had this issue?

I've never seen what is shown in your second image but did run into the first one once. When the touch screen did not wake up after a few minutes I rang Tesla and was told to do a double scroll wheel reboot. Did that and the car's been fine since.

Computers... :)

Happened Sunday of this week. Same exact message "Navigation System Needs Service" Called Tesla support and they said "the good news is it IS software and we will have someone look at it tomorrow (1-7-19)" Woke up Monday morning and my car had not charged and the screen would not reboot from black. Was able to at least drive after rebooting and waiting the normal re-boot time. Went straight to the service center as I would not have had enough power to make it home and back to the SC another day. I plugged it in to the SuperCharger and unplugged about 10 times. Nothing....drove it back around to the SC check-in area and between unplugging and the door, 300 feet maybe, the screen came back to life. I pulled back around to the SuperCharger and proceeded to charge up to 90% while getting my car set for a service appointment the next day with a loaner. Left the SC and went to the office. Left about 2:00pm to run errands and the MCU was completely unresponsive AND black again with a new message "Touchscreen unresponsive...." with a new problem that the HVAC was stuck ON and would not turn off no matter what I did. (No app access either as connectivity was gone)

Went home and my car would not charge and the A/C continued to run all the time up to and including dropping it off.

End of the story is they tried a multitude of things and eventually swapped out the MCU yesterday with everythin working properly now and I am supposed to pick it up at 11:00am this morning, 10 minutes from now.

Hopefully all will be fixed and no more problems.

BTW - so add that several of us have had this happen out of the blue. \i/

• Helpful
Reactions: KyleDay
Just in case there is a batch of bad "somethings" popping up.

MS100D
Delivered March 2017
EAP
FSD
Premium Audio
Use my own Slacker premium login account
62,500 miles
VIN 18834*
Very little Supercharging
90% daily charge

Just picked up my car and all seems well after the MCU transplant.

Last edited: