Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with Tesla Lock Sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I am trying to get a lock sound into my Tesla with no success. I am sure that I am doing something wrong, I just do not know what it is. I have attached a screenshot from my pc showing the wav file from my Tesla USB drive. When I click on the file on my pc the sound does play. I am sure that I am missing something and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Peter

IMG_2337.JPG

I've tried that a couple times now with no luck
I can only guess that it's not able to read or handle the new sound for some reason. You could try downloading and trying a different sound that's in the proper format. If that works then you need to take a closer look at your own new file.

Upvote 0
I can only guess that it's not able to read or handle the new sound for some reason. You could try downloading and trying a different sound that's in the proper format. If that works then you need to take a closer look at your own new file.

I also had that thought, but the fact that I’m reverting to the prior custom chime doesn’t support that.

Upvote 0
the fact that I’m reverting to the prior custom chime doesn’t support that
If a LockChime.wav file has been successfully read from a USB drive and is working, it will be stored somewhere in the car's built in memory. You can remove the USB drive and the custom sound will still play. Therefore, if a LockChime.wav file with different contents doesn't work or isn't found for some reason, it will not stop the old one from playing, if selected.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a similar problem that I can't remedy.

I previously added a custom lock chime with no issue, it's when I try to update the chime that I experience problems. More specifically, it continues to play the initial custom lock chime despite that sound being on the USB. I've tested the updated file multiple times, confirmed it's not too long/big, and have initiated a hard reset on the infotainment without any luck. Anyone else experience this?

happened to me. i forgot to covert the new audio file from mp3 to wav. after converting it to wav file it replaced the previous LockChime

Upvote 0
If a LockChime.wav file has been successfully read from a USB drive and is working, it will be stored somewhere in the car's built in memory. You can remove the USB drive and the custom sound will still play. Therefore, if a LockChime.wav file with different contents doesn't work or isn't found for some reason, it will not stop the old one from playing, if selected.
Good to know. I’ll try a net new wav file and see what happens. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Mine also stopped working after the FSD free month update.

I have tried all the suggestions above and more, and nothing works. What I have tried so far.
1- Scroll Reset.
2- Unclick the Windows file extension to make sure the naming is correct.
3- Make sure is a wav.
4- Tried dowloading one from custom chimes website.
5- Tried another one that also worked before. (I just add _old#) to old chimes.
6- I named everything in lower case.
7- Reformat the drive.

If anyone has tried soemthing else, and has worked. please let me know.

Upvote 0
If anyone has tried soemthing else, and has worked. please let me know.
Try this:
* The lock chime file must be 1 MB or smaller (the actual size limit might be smaller) in .wav file format (not just ".wav" filename extension). Make it mono with a 32 kHz or 44.1 kHz sampling rate.
* Pause the Dash cam on Controls > Sentry, Long-press the Dashcam icon.
* Remove the Dash cam storage device (a USB "key", "thumb drive", or SSD solid state drive).
* Name the file "LockChime.wav" (the case might matter) and copy it to the top level of the storage device (or its "TESLADRIVE" partition), putting it next to the "TeslaCam" folder. (Or use a separate USB drive just for loading the LockChime.wav file into the car.)
* Reconnect the storage device.
* In the Tesla screen's Toy Box, select "USB" to select the custom lock chime.
* Resume Dash cam recording (with the Dash cam USB drive inserted).
* Test it.

Reactions: Skavatar
Upvote 0
Try this:
* The lock chime file must be 1 MB or smaller (the actual size limit might be smaller) in .wav file format (not just ".wav" filename extension). Make it mono with a 32 kHz or 44.1 kHz sampling rate.
* Pause the Dash cam on Controls > Sentry, Long-press the Dashcam icon.
* Remove the Dash cam storage device (a USB "key", "thumb drive", or SSD solid state drive).
* Name the file "LockChime.wav" (the case might matter) and copy it to the top level of the storage device (or its "TESLADRIVE" partition), putting it next to the "TeslaCam" folder. (Or use a separate USB drive just for loading the LockChime.wav file into the car.)
* Reconnect the storage device.
* In the Tesla screen's Toy Box, select "USB" to select the custom lock chime.
* Resume Dash cam recording (with the Dash cam USB drive inserted).
* Test it.
Well, I guess when the new software updated it dissable the toy box selection, and I was too dumb to check for that... :) --- Thanks, that did the trick.

Upvote 0