Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with Tesla Lock Sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I am trying to get a lock sound into my Tesla with no success. I am sure that I am doing something wrong, I just do not know what it is. I have attached a screenshot from my pc showing the wav file from my Tesla USB drive. When I click on the file on my pc the sound does play. I am sure that I am missing something and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Peter

IMG_2337.JPG

I see no TeslaCam Folder. AFAIK the drive must first be working with TeslaCam (the dashcam) then it should work. You may want to reformat it in the car, but make sure you don't have other drives plugged in (in case you reformat the wrong drive, for example your music drive).

And in case this was not done, you have to select it in the menu afterwards to select that chime.
Another thread on this:
Custom lock sound file - where does it go?

Upvote 0
Hello all,

I am trying to get a lock sound into my Tesla with no success. I am sure that I am doing something wrong, I just do not know what it is. <snip>
Just to be clear here.... the customized lock sound will only work on vehicles which have the Pedestrian Warning System. That was implemented in Model 3 after Sept. 2019 so if your car is before this time, putting a .WAV file on your USB drive, even if it's appropriately formatted, won't do any good.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3 and jjrandorin
Upvote 0
I see no TeslaCam Folder. AFAIK the drive must first be working with TeslaCam (the dashcam) then it should work. You may want to reformat it in the car, but make sure you don't have other drives plugged in (in case you reformat the wrong drive, for example your music drive).

And in case this was not done, you have to select it in the menu afterwards to select that chime.
Another thread on this:
You don’t need a TeslaCam folder for the lock sound to work, assuming your car supports it. You just need to put the file in the root directory of the USB, per the thread you referenced. You also have to use one of the USB slots that support media.

Upvote 0
You don’t need a TeslaCam folder for the lock sound to work, assuming your car supports it. You just need to put the file in the root directory of the USB, per the thread you referenced. You also have to use one of the USB slots that support media.
My point is the file needs to be in the same drive that the dashcam is in, and if your dashcam is not working, then your car is not detecting the drive properly, in which case it won't work.

Dashcam is just an easy proxy to whether the car is properly detecting the drive (as you get the red dot indicator and also the Teslacam folder for feedback). It also allows you to format the drive to eliminate guesswork on a proper format.

Otherwise you are going blind with no feedback on whether the issue is your drive or something else (like not having a PWS as another pointed out).

Upvote 0
Make sure you're not experiencing this problem:
This. Most likely you have common file extensions hidden in windows in which case that file is actually LockChime.wav.wav

Delete the .wav in the file name and try again.
My point is the file needs to be in the same drive that the dashcam is in, and if your dashcam is not working, then your car is not detecting the drive properly, in which case it won't work.
This is not true. If you have an older car with multiple USB data ports or you’re using a USB hub, you don’t need the file in the same drive as the dashcam. I have a hub with my dashcam SSD, a separate drive for music, and I just put the LockChime in a third USB drive.

Reactions: unhyphy and MLXXXp
Upvote 0

Dashcam is just an easy proxy to whether the car is properly detecting the drive (as you get the red dot indicator and also the Teslacam folder for feedback). It also allows you to format the drive to eliminate guesswork on a proper format.

Otherwise you are going blind with no feedback on whether the issue is your drive or something else (like not having a PWS as another pointed out).
There’s more than one USB port that you can use for dashcam or media files, and there’s no requirement for the lock sound to be on the same USB that you use for the dashcam. You implied otherwise, which is why I replied earlier.

Upvote 0

Another thread on this:
Thank you.

Upvote 0

Another thread on this:
Thank you.

Upvote 0

Another thread on this:
Thank you.

Upvote 0
Hello all,

I am trying to get a lock sound into my Tesla with no success. I am sure that I am doing something wrong, I just do not know what it is. I have attached a screenshot from my pc showing the wav file from my Tesla USB drive. When I click on the file on my pc the sound does play. I am sure that I am missing something and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Peter

View attachment 1009309
Thank you very much for everyone who replied and with their thoughts and suggestions. This maybe a PC thing as someone mentioned, but the file name needs to be only LockChime, NOT LockChime.wav. At least that is what made it work for me.
Thanks again everyone.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for everyone who replied and with their thoughts and suggestions. This maybe a PC thing as someone mentioned, but the file name needs to be only LockChime, NOT LockChime.wav. At least that is what made it work for me.
Thanks again everyone.
So it's the same issue as noted in the Mac thread. File extensions by default are set to "hidden" in the operating system, and by naming the file "LockChime.wav", it's actually named in the file system as "LockChime.wav.wav"

Upvote 0
I created a custom .wav sound and put it in the root folder. The problem is, it seems to work once and then resets itself to off and back to the default beep. If I turn it back on, it works again but just once. Other non-custom lock sounds seem to work consistently. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
I have a similar problem that I can't remedy.

I previously added a custom lock chime with no issue, it's when I try to update the chime that I experience problems. More specifically, it continues to play the initial custom lock chime despite that sound being on the USB. I've tested the updated file multiple times, confirmed it's not too long/big, and have initiated a hard reset on the infotainment without any luck. Anyone else experience this?

Upvote 0