Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problematic CPO Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few months ago, I received my CPO Model S. Like most, there was a bunch of waiting and quiet periods but eventually got the car and was happy with it all. I asked about the history and they told me they couldn't share much, but that it was up to date on service, had a clean history, and had a few things replaced such as a wheel and interior trim piece.

However, after a day of driving I noticed the motor was making a noise while driving and the frunk light wasn't working. I took it in and the service tech immediately commented that that shouldn't have passed inspection, he was sorry, and they'd replace it.

After I had the car for a bit, I took it to get it appraised because I get curious about these things, about what it was worth etc. After waiting for a bit the appraiser came in and asked if I knew of an accident in the car. I told him no and asked what he was referring to. He then went to show me bolts that were adjusted on the car on both fenders, etc. The appraisal came back and though the CarFax was clean, the fact that there's no documentation makes it seem as though there was an accident and adjusted the value dramatically ($10,000 lower than KBB trade-in)

While this could have just been fixing imperfections at the original owner's delivery I wasn't sure if there could be more. I remembered I was told the front right wheel was replaced in the CPO process. I then jacked up the car and noticed in inside wheel well was cracked, push pins were broken, and one mounting point for it was broken off. When I went to grab it, two clips from inside the area just fell onto the ground.

From there, I looked over the car much more thoroughly. While nothing here is any sort of major problem, there were small chips or paint imperfections I missed, another plastic piece was damaged(looks like damage and not just misalignment), another light was out.

I then contacted Tesla and eventually got back to my CPO advisor, who I explained this to. I told him this, on top of the previous problems, makes me believe it was falsely advertised regarding its history and that I didn't believe the CPO inspection was completed. He told me and can guarantee it was and sent me a copy. However, the inspection showed many of the problems as 'pass' when they were broken the day after I received the car.

Since then, I’ve noticed many of the accessories( windows, rear hatch, sunroof) are slow to react and may take a few tries to work, the TPMS system freaked out twice in a snowstorm(not a tire, it said take in for service), and the side view mirrors randomly don’t move to the correct position when in reverse.

After more back and forth I emailed the escalation team who, after 4 weeks of waiting, finally decided that they weren't going to do anything and had a service manager reach out to me. He has been great in being helpful while I was waiting, offering to restart the CPO inspection process.

I first asked regarding a buyback, which received their answer of no. I then asked if I could simply trade in at my purchase price for a different car, and all they did was provide me with the current trade in value of my car ($9,000 lower than purchase) with no adjustment for my case.

I know it's a used car and shouldn't be perfect, and that any sort of major performance problem would be covered by warranty. However, the uncertainty of the damage to the car and that it wasn't documented/disclosed to me makes it seem much less of a value than was expressed to me.

Has anyone else had any sort of similar situation with the CPO process?

If the damage to the tire/wheel area wasn't fixed by the previous owner, there would be no report on carfax. it shouldn't have passed the CPO process, in any case.

i picked up cpo earlier this month, and there are some things they are going to fix at my service appt in Jan. it's not perfect but dayum close. i too realize it's a used car and that tesla is/was in a rush to deliver as many cars as possible by EOY. they asked if a Jan appt was ok with me so they could focus on delivering other cars in Dec, i happily agreed. typically these stories end up with "tesla fixed it all, everything is great now." i hope to be in that pool by end of Jan.

if you've had the car a few months I can understand their not wanting to do an even swap. if it was a day or two after pick up that would be another story.

best of luck, i feel pretty confident saying that they will make it right but everyone is different and perceptions are our individual realities.

If the damage to the tire/wheel area wasn't fixed by the previous owner, there would be no report on carfax. it shouldn't have passed the CPO process, in any case.

i picked up cpo earlier this month, and there are some things they are going to fix at my service appt in Jan. it's not perfect but dayum close. i too realize it's a used car and that tesla is/was in a rush to deliver as many cars as possible by EOY. they asked if a Jan appt was ok with me so they could focus on delivering other cars in Dec, i happily agreed. typically these stories end up with "tesla fixed it all, everything is great now." i hope to be in that pool by end of Jan.

if you've had the car a few months I can understand their not wanting to do an even swap. if it was a day or two after pick up that would be another story.

best of luck, i feel pretty confident saying that they will make it right but everyone is different and perceptions are our individual realities.

Thanks for wishes. First contact regarding the physical damage was made one month after delivery. It's been two months since then to receive this decision.

Reactions: Olds442
@feurie even at a month, it's one of those things where there is room for doubt about it's condition a month earlier. i'm not saying that you are or would ever be dishonest about something like this, just that tesla has to protect themselves from someone who would be.
if you read back at the threads you will largely see a landslide of threads ending in, it's all better now. they do seem to get things fixed at the service appts.

Yeah I understand. I mean even the next day someone could hit a high curb and screw something up. I think they believe me, the escalation team just knows that they have no actual obligation to fix it.