Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems connecting M3P to Wi-Fi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I've just collected my M3P yesterday. It has auto-updated to 2020.4.2.

My home broadband router is a BT Smarthub 6, which presents a single SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. I cannot see either SSID from my car, which is strange as I have a very good connection via my phone from inside the car.

Has anyone had a similar issue? I can try having seperate SSIDs for 2Ghz/5Ghz if that could help - I know 2.4Ghz typically has better range but I can easily connect on 5Ghz on my phone from the car.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Alex

Having one SSID for both 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz is fine. My Tesla sometimes connects at 5.0Ghz but most times on 2.4Ghz. Have you tried setting up a hotspot from your phone to check whether that network shows up in the car? If not, you might want to perform a reset (scrolls wheels and brake pedal). After a software upgrade it’s common practice to first perform such a reset. Maybe that helps fixing your issue.

My AP presents 5GHz and 2.4 and I gave each of them a different name (cause I wanted to know what my devices were connecting to) - the car much prefers the 2.4; though it would connect to both it only downloaded on 2.4. It never showed an error, it just simply didn't work.

To be fair, I've not tried downloading on the 5 recently cause it works as-is so I left it be.

I have 2 locations. One using TPLINK and the other using Ubiquiti APs and both have a single SSID. In both places the cars connect fine over 5ghz so long as they are in range and yes, band steering is active. The only time I see them on 2.4 is when they are further away from the house.
56496779-4F07-4C6B-A236-E071C709114A.jpeg

It is now connecting to my router, but with very low signal strength. Where are the LTE /W GPS attenna arrays on the M3?.

I will try separating the radios on my AP to force a 2.4 GHz connection and see if it's any better - it may be that the AP is forcing the car to use 5Ghz but range and building penetration array be better at 2.4. actually, I'll just test by turning off the 5Gbz radio.

I have two mesh AP routers on order so I'll be able to place one near to the wall nearest the car, so range won't be a problem.

Thanks for the helpful advice.

Regards,
Alex

Don’t focus too much on the # of bars that the car displays regarding signal strength. Mine sometimes displays only one bar but when I than perform a speed test I get 80Mbps down and 20Mbps up. Did you perform a speed test from the car’s browser?

So, it turns out the signal strength indicator is quite pessimistic. A test from the browser in the car gets 25 Mbps down and 15 Mbps up, compared to 15 Mbps down and 9.8 Mbps up on my Oneplus 7 Pro. That's with one bar shown on the Wi-Fi signal strength indicator

Closer to my Router, I get 50Mbps down and 40 Mbps up, so obviously distance is a factor. I

a good router but I think the positioning of the parking spot and the router put a lot of masonry between the two. Hopefully a new Mesh Wi-Fi disk will sort that out.

Thanks for the advice