Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with App connecting recently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the last 24 hours, I’ve been seeing timeouts trying to connect to my car from the App. Car is on 2021.4.12, and is in garage with strong WiFi and cell signal, same setup that’s been working fine for years. Bluetooth connects normally and I can drive it fine. Eventually the App will succeed, but the frequency that it doesn’t is definitely a sign of a problem somewhere. From inside the car I have a strong WiFi and cell signal. Has anyone else been seeing cloud/connectivity issues lately?

Last edited:
The connection to wake up the car when its sleep is the cellular one, not wifi. The car does not stay connected constantly to your wifi signal (you can verify this by checking your router). If you do not have good cell signal in your garage, then sometimes you will have issues with the app waking the car up.

Its also true that sometimes connectivity to wake up the car changes with updates, so it could be the update as well. In 2018 when I got my car, I could never wake my car up when it was actually "sleep" with the app, on the first try. I always had to do it multiple times. I made a service appointment, they told me "this is known and will get fixed in an update".

I didnt believe them, but it actually did get fixed in an update (although it took like 2-3 updates after they told me that for it to be fixed).

Reactions: GtiMart
I thought that this was a problem with my WIFI, so who’s problem is this, I just got my tesla 4 days ago and I thought that there was something wrong with it. Will this get fixed in a new software update?

I thought that this was a problem with my WIFI, so who’s problem is this, I just got my tesla 4 days ago and I thought that there was something wrong with it. Will this get fixed in a new software update?

It’s not a WiFi issue because the Tesla servers don’t use WiFi to connect to your car, they use cellular. You didn’t provide enough information to know where the problem is in your case.

Reactions: jjrandorin
This morning my car wouldn't automatically open, I checked to see if Bluetooth was enabled, it was, tried turning it on and off, didn't help. Had to use the app to unlock the car. It's been fine since. The app was updated yesterday, that may be the reason but there is no way to be sure.

For the last 24 hours, I’ve been seeing timeouts trying to connect to my car from the App. Car is on 2021.4.12, and is in garage with strong WiFi and cell signal, same setup that’s been working fine for years. Bluetooth connects normally and I can drive it fine. Eventually the App will succeed, but the frequency that it doesn’t is definitely a sign of a problem somewhere. From inside the car I have a strong WiFi and cell signal. Has anyone else been seeing cloud/connectivity issues lately?
Yes. App worked fine for first 4 months of ownership. Got to start the climate system, start/stop charging etc. Then nothing- can't connect with vehicle. I think it may have something to do with proximity to the vehicle or which wifi network both phone and vehicle are on. I have tried switching to different wifi networks and shutting wifi off to use just cellular, but that doesn't seem to work. When I leave the car at home, I can connect and operate climate from my office, 7 miles away. Just frustrating that it worked seamlessly for a time , then nothing.

Same here can't seem to connect to the car lately. Even when I know the car is awake and charging, it just spins and times out and can't connect. After a few tries it will usually connect. But sometimes it won't. I also noticed this after updating to 2021.12.25.7

I did reboot the car and the phone, same issue...

Same here can't seem to connect to the car lately. Even when I know the car is awake and charging, it just spins and times out and can't connect. After a few tries it will usually connect. But sometimes it won't. I also noticed this after updating to 2021.12.25.7

I did reboot the car and the phone, same issue...
I’m still experiencing this problem, is there a solution to this?