Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with rear hatch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I traded my 2017 Model S for the Y, and overall I really love it. I do have a hatch issue, however. It opens roughly as it it has to build pressure then pops open with a start. I also does not close fully at times with the auto close. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Thanks.

I don't have that issue, however there are 4 adjustable stops on the hatch that you can use to improve alignment... They are round and can be screwed in and out just by turning them with your hand. Sounds like one or more of yours may be too far out and causing too much resistance for the latch, you could see if you can tighten them a bit.

Yep, I have the same issue that the rear hatch doesn't close properly, at least not consistently.

If you look carefully, you will see the hatch doesn't come down straight. It kinda moves to the right side more. Anyhow, scheduled an appointment via the app and it was fixed. Another common issue I'm seeing from various forum is the charger port. I had it fixed as well.

Reactions: Dude85D
I have an issue where the rear hatch gets stuck after about 1 inch when opening. Sometimes it will continue opening and other times it gets stuck there. No problems with closing. I’m sure the SC will be able to make an adjustment to fix the issue.

I have this issue as well, for me the part of the hatch where the gap is on the top pillar hits/scrapes against each other and then "pops" open....seems like the gap is not wide enough, but it usually only happens the first time I open it. It won't do it again unless I go for a drive or let it sit for a while....its weird.

I had the exact same issue. Mobile service came and tried to fix it, but it didn't work well, so I had to visit the service center and they adjusted the latch. But it still does not work very rarely on the stiff uphill.

I traded my 2017 Model S for the Y, and overall I really love it. I do have a hatch issue, however. It opens roughly as it it has to build pressure then pops open with a start. I also does not close fully at times with the auto close. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Thanks.
Congrats on the car. I’m curious as to how you find the ride quality of your new Y vs your Model S. My S is the same vintage as yours was.

Ken

First, a disclaimer that I am no automobile savant. I am quite sure that some would say the drive is much different, but I just don't see a great difference. I initially thought the standard steering was much stiffer for the Y, but within a day it either loosened or I stopped noticing. While the stats show it's acceleration is not as quick, I don't perceive it, and I do enjoy the acceleration. The newer computer makes the autopilot much. much better with a smoother operation overall compared to my S. I'm 60 and appreciate the higher seating (upgraded to the larger wheels, but did not get the performance edition. The battery capacity and the new computer speed were the 2 greatest factors for me to change. The S is a beautiful car, and I thought I might miss the display going to the minimalist interior of the Y, but it has not been a problem. My family has had 4 Tesla's (son has had 2 model 3's.). It is difficult for me to see a scenario when I will buy another gas powered car, although we still have a '12 4-runner and '16 Jeep cherokee.

One issue might be the fact that there is only ONE power lifting arm (drivers side). The passenger side is just a strut, not a linear actuator. It looks identical to the drivers side, but no wiring to it.

Mine works fine, (despite my tailgate being slightly misaligned) closes and opens as it should, but it’s not as smooth as the power lift gates my last two Volvo’s had. The Volvo’s had both lift arms powered.

Ken

First, a disclaimer that I am no automobile savant. I am quite sure that some would say the drive is much different, but I just don't see a great difference. I initially thought the standard steering was much stiffer for the Y, but within a day it either loosened or I stopped noticing. While the stats show it's acceleration is not as quick, I don't perceive it, and I do enjoy the acceleration. The newer computer makes the autopilot much. much better with a smoother operation overall compared to my S. I'm 60 and appreciate the higher seating (upgraded to the larger wheels, but did not get the performance edition. The battery capacity and the new computer speed were the 2 greatest factors for me to change. The S is a beautiful car, and I thought I might miss the display going to the minimalist interior of the Y, but it has not been a problem. My family has had 4 Tesla's (son has had 2 model 3's.). It is difficult for me to see a scenario when I will buy another gas powered car, although we still have a '12 4-runner and '16 Jeep cherokee.
Thanks Irishspider. I was actually referring to the ride quality in terms of how firm or soft the ride is relative to the S, not so much the steering. I've heard some say the 3 has a stiff ride. Others call it sporty. I'd suspect I'd call it stiff although I haven't driven it. So would you say the Y rides harder (firmer) than the S or about the same?

Thanks Irishspider. I was actually referring to the ride quality in terms of how firm or soft the ride is relative to the S, not so much the steering. I've heard some say the 3 has a stiff ride. Others call it sporty. I'd suspect I'd call it stiff although I haven't driven it. So would you say the Y rides harder (firmer) than the S or about the same?
I feel that they are similar. I'm not sure I could tell the difference if blindfolded. I'm quite sure others would disagree. I'd say definitely drive one when you have the chance. I've always loved Sedans, and was a little sad until the moment I picked up the Y. No regrets now.

Reactions: Ken7
Yep, I have the same issue that the rear hatch doesn't close properly, at least not consistently.

If you look carefully, you will see the hatch doesn't come down straight. It kinda moves to the right side more. Anyhow, scheduled an appointment via the app and it was fixed. Another common issue I'm seeing from various forum is the charger port. I had it fixed as well.

Hello @firerock
Could you tell me about the charger port issue you mentioned? I used to had the same problem with my rear hatch and got it fixed. Now I'm seeing weird 'Unable to charge. Unplug and try it again' warning message when I'm driving. :(

I have the same problem. The hatchback kind of sticks and then pops open if i give it a slight nudge. Looked to me like the interior trim is loose. I have a service apt. this week. Unfortunately the issue only started after I had an initial service apt to fix my highly misaligned driver's door and to switch out my stained driver's seat. I've honestly been surprised at how bad the QC was. I thought they would have improved from the experience with the early M3s.

I have the same problem. The hatchback kind of sticks and then pops open if i give it a slight nudge. Looked to me like the interior trim is loose.
You’re right, the interior plastic trim with the trunk close button has separated from the metal trunk (see photos below). It must have come loose about two weeks after I bought the car which explains why the trunk initially worked fine after I took delivery.

Attachments

• E78F65E1-7BB2-45A7-8DBA-F62EE5084E4C.jpeg
    E78F65E1-7BB2-45A7-8DBA-F62EE5084E4C.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 375
  • B3D555B2-1FDB-45BE-BE71-282C8E586387.jpeg
    B3D555B2-1FDB-45BE-BE71-282C8E586387.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 308