Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
#metoo.
Tried to use the Supercharge port for the first time this evening in Monroe and two different stations would not work. Got an orange light but it never fully seated. I'm packing some WD40 in the car and (at the suggestion of the 800 number people) taking it back to the service center at first opportunity to get them to look at the port. New Model X (about 190 miles on it) picked up 12/24/17.

The Tesla mobile service guy stopped by a couple days ago and took care of the problem. Like others have said, there is an issue with the shape of the ports on newer model X/S deliveries. He took a Dremel tool and shaved away the problem area in about three minutes. There's no visible change to the plug, and it works like a charm now.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric700
I took Angel into the local Bellevue, WA service center and they appear to have sanded/drilled/filed out the interior of the connector. I guess that's cheaper than replacing it and while it took about 45 minutes, I think it works better now (at home). I have yet to try it at a Supercharge site. I'll moisten a cloth with silicon-based lubricant (not KY jelly) and keep it in the toolbox--just in case.

Boeing had this problem on the 787 as many parts were made "really close" to spec, but not quite and they had trouble fitting them together during assembly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric700
It does get better with time. Now I’m about 4 weeks in and can usually seat it on first or second attempt without WD-40.

Before I would pull it out and keep re-inserting it. I’ve stopped doing that. I just leave it in and change the angle a bit with more force (sometimes my full body weight). I can usually get it in on second or third attempt now, where as before it was a 5 minute full body workout before it would connect

I'm going in for service for the first time tomorrow. I hope they can fix the issue so I don't look like an idiot at supercharging stations.
I got my X on weekend before x-mas and had the same problem. I have no problem charging at home with the charger that came with the car. It's only at supercharging stations that I have problem. Initially, it took 10+ tries before I get a green light, now still takes 3+ tries. I'm also having hard time discharging from the port, many times even after I heard the click sound and color is white, I couldn't disconnect the charger from the port. Couple of times almost fell backward when using too much force pulling the charger out when it just let go.

By all means, take your car to the service center. Like mine, it seems the port receptacle on the cars are defective and most service sites don't yet have the parts to replace them, but they do have a way to make them work. It seems the Y-shaped guide in the center is some thousandth's too large. By using a small file, they can take off some plastic and get the connector to slide in and out more easily. No, they do not suggest a lubricant--I suggested KY jelly. It took about 40 minutes to get mine fixed here in Bellevue, WA. Good luck.

I had the same problem with mine. The field tech came by and spent about an hour trimming it, and now it works well. Apparently, it's a known issue with a particular batch of charge ports that shipped in vehicles right around the end of the year, and for new shipments, they're trimming them at the factory before delivery. I guess somebody must not have specified tight enough tolerances when they sent the part to a new manufacturer or new plant or something. *shrugs*

I also had the same problem - it seems to be common for later-2017 delivered Teslas (mine was December, 2017). Took it back to Service after I literally injured my shoulder trying to get the green light at various superchargers. It was taking 7-8 tries pushing really hard. They shaved the port.