Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production/Delivery Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The plan all along has been 600 MY2008 and 600 MY2009 so yes that seems reasonable. Many have discussed that here and that plan was deemed quite reasonable.

It is my understanding that DT1.5 has been fully tested and and is due to start being installed in cars VERY soon if not already. I think it may be being installed after car 38 if my recollections are correct. So 1200 would be fine...

"the plan", "my understanding". Hmm.

They've made/delivered 38, & they intent to ramp up to 1200 by next Sept?? Man, I think that's a big jump, especially for a 1st production line. They've never been in this territory of big production #'s.

I never heard anything concrete from the Death Valley test, & where are the #'s for a Durability/Reliability test? One more snafu with transmission, that's it. People have a finite patience threshold.

An Xtrac development partner (offroad) went thru several cycles of prototype/race/post-mortem (lots of breakage over 2007 year) to develop a 2008 tranny which has scored 1st, 3rd, 1st. They are 2nd in points going into the Baja 1000, looking to take home the points championship. They started out with an Xtrac tranny with a Formula 1 style clutch pack (7" diameter), & beefed it up to withstand offroad abuse. The latter is similar to the shockload of a Roadster w/AC Induction Motor (instantaneous power, severe shockload to tranny). Apparently, there is a near-solution for a Roadster 2-speed Xtrac, with some modifications (cross-over technology transfer from offroad to pavement). The Durability/Reliability test has been done in offroad racing. Beautiful demonstration of the power of Interdisciplinary Science. I've been in touch with those parties (VP of Xtrac, owner of offroad partner), & it's simply a matter of writing a proposal to do the technology transfer. That's where I would get involved, getting a Roadster & doing the mods.

Imagine the performance with JB's PEM modification (complete overhaul from analog to digital), plus a 2-speed.

"the plan", "my understanding". Hmm.

They've made/delivered 38, & they intent to ramp up to 1200 by next Sept?? Man, I think that's a big jump, especially for a 1st production line. They've never been in this territory of big production #'s.

Chimp,

What Kevin is refering to has been extensively discussed here and other places. Its not conjecture or speculation. Also, the roadster glider is built on the same line that builds the Elise. So when you say "they" meaning Tesla, you should consider that it is Lotus building the glider. Does Lotus have the ability to build at this volume? Yes, they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received the email stating that my color kit is on the way, and that I need to lock-in within the next 12 days.

Only 6 weeks ago they told me my lock-in date was going to be "December", and with that I was assuming late December. They have obviously ramped up faster than they were expecting only a few weeks ago.

I have no idea how I will come up with all the rest of the cash in the next 12 days. Perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket tonight...

Me too, though I have 22 days. I asked for an update on my production slot just this week and it had moved up to the low 500's. I also asked about when the balance is due, and that is 3 months prior to production, which is scheduled in March. So you may still have another couple of months... I'm not sure why the lock-in is so far ahead, but will be asking - it might be a glitch in the system for all I know.

Jay

I appreciate that all the threads about production have been put together into one. The first months were disappointing but it seems that production is ramping up now! Curious when the first car will shop up on ebay. I´m still looking for one, so if anyone here wants to get rid of their delivery, let me know! :biggrin:

Can this be right?

How can SBuyer #534 , SteveF #536, Graham #525 and Jay #? be so early in the lock ins?

The mid 500s are going to deliver in late January? Not March or May?

I wonder if Tesla is cash poor and are fudging the months a bit?

I believe Tesla is moving up the lock-in dates, so you can't assume three months from lock-in to delivery.

Is there a recently stated relationship between lock-in date and start of production? I doubt it since Tesla can't predict how quickly production will ramp up, there are too many external dependencies for them to be sure they can get to a certain production rate until it happens.

Can this be right?

How can SBuyer #534 , SteveF #536, Graham #525 and Jay #? be so early in the lock ins?

I wonder if Tesla is cash poor and are fudging the months a bit?

Well, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that we are all moved up to the upper 400s by now. But your point is very valid.

To be accurate: They have not asked for money in their email. They just have merely asked for color/option lock-in.

I have emailed them asking if the balance is still due at lock in, and if the delivery date has also moved up 2 months as well. I hope if delivery is still not for another 5 or 6 months from now, they will not require full payment yet.

Can this be right?

By way of update (not sure if it answers any questions), my original number was 536, but I was told a couple of weeks ago that this was a "waitlist" number. My new "actual number" was quoted as 482. And at that same time a couple of weeks ago, I was given a "late March" delivery estimate. Perhaps there is still some confusion over delivery dates versus start-of-production dates.

I'm number 180-something and I locked in my choices over a month ago.

Delivery is probably somewhere around the first of next year.

They haven't asked me for the remainder of the balance yet (and I haven't volunteered it either).

I would be VERY interested in TM's response to your questions, as well, if you don't mind sharing when you hear back from them!

It looks like we lock in colors / options now, but we do not pay for the car until 3 months prior to delivery

My current number is now #471. This puts my delivery estimate (all subject to change in either direction) in May. Which would make my balance due in Feb if I am understanding it all correctly.

Apparently while the balance is due ahead of time, taxes/fees etc are paid upon delivery.

Hi Graham,

Extrapolating from a recent email exchange I had with TM, your car is likely scheduled for early March production, and the balance is due 3 months prior to that. I'd expect right around December 1 for you - I'm around the 15th at slot 513 (and "mid-March" production)... Delivery is around 6 weeks by ship, plus another 2 weeks to install the drivetrain components.

Jay

prodcution update..10/8

For those with any inside info, has Tesla ramped up production yet with drive train 1.5? It's September, and I haven't heard a peep. Aren't they supposed to hit the 100 per month mark shortly?
I inquired directly to Tesla and they provided me a current status. Recap below..

as of 10/8
>delivered 34 Tesla Roadsters.
>production recently ramped up to 10 cars per week
>32 customer cars currently in the various factories in Hethel England
>Average production of about 35 – 40 Roadsters a month will likely remain the norm into the New Year.