Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production/Delivery Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bah! I have come back to Toronto today only to find out that my Roadster is not expected until between the 14th to the 16th of this month. It was shipped on the 1st of September (VIN #1029) and it is going to take 2 weeks to deliver! NOT FAIR. Tom has seen VIN #1020 in Seattle and Jaanton got his VIN #1026 on September 1st.

They fly the car from Hethel, England to California in a day. Can't they FedEx or something a Tesla to anxious prospective owners?

Also, it looks like the EV Components ("Foundry") front license plate bracket I bought (which was designed for the 2.0 Roadster) will have to bend one of the 2.5's new front fins to fit on the car. I have seen a reengineered plastic front license plate bracket from Tesla that was shipped with the White 2.5 Roadster the Toronto store acquired as a demo car. It still needs to be mounted under the bumper but it does fit in the grill. Now I will have to decide about "bending" the grill a little to get a metal license bracket or go with a bolted on plastic unit from Tesla. Any suggestions?? (This aspect of the delivery probably should be discussed in the "Tesla Parts for Sale" section)

Can someone near Menlo Park peek in and see what numbers they are working on? Tesla seems to be more secretive than Apple with regards to what is coming up. I would hate to think they are still working on the 1020's. By my calculation, Vin# 1044 should be up on the lifts there.

Can someone near Menlo Park peek in and see what numbers they are working on? Tesla seems to be more secretive than Apple with regards to what is coming up. I would hate to think they are still working on the 1020's. By my calculation, Vin# 1044 should be up on the lifts there.

I think the US and EU cars have different VINs right? Could someone elaborate on this?

It is #905, built in March, delivered in May.

Additional data points. #905 "May" and #1026 9/1/2010

Assuming a late May delivery (for best case scenario). 121 cars in 92 days = 1.3 cars delivered per day
Assuming an early May delivery (for worst case scenario). 121 cars in 121 days = 1 car delivered per day

So, in a worst case, #1078 will be delivered to me October 21. It helps to have a range of expectations.

Last edited:
Based on these numbers:
- we are in the 1,000 to 1,100 range for US & Canada cars
- in the 300 to 400 range for Europe
- with a likely separate VIN sequence in Asia-Pacific; difficult to estimate (but likely still well sub 100 - anyone from Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, etc like to comment?)
- plus the original Founder's series of 27

If I add all these up, it seems like we are closing in on 1,500 total Roadsters sold worlwide, probably during 2010. (Perhaps already more than 1,500 totally built including EPs, VPs).

It's a small time window before the LEAF comes out.. If Tesla wants to grab the (temporary) spotlight as having manufactured the most production EVs ever, they should do it now. It's a pretty low hanging marketing fruit.

Roadster Sport VIN 1029 Has Arrived!

I am happy to announce the delivery at 3:42pm today of our little bundle of joy that we have named "The Rocket".

My wife had her first ever Tesla drive briefly in the passenger seat and then she took over the controls. As she accelerated up and down the streets of Toronto all she could keep saying was "Oh my goodness" over and over again with that well-known Tesla grin that everyone gets.

I'd like to start by apologizing to everyone. I know I've been a bit whinny, but I am in a better mood now, and I wanted to share. I have a VIN# 1078 update.

July 29 - Locked in.
Sept 20 - "Your Roadster began production in the Paint Factory"

My glider arrived!!! I guess it can't be too much longer!

Sept 20 - "Your Roadster began production in the Paint Factory"

My glider arrived!!! I guess it can't be too much longer!

Hopefully you'll be getting your vehicle soon, KGB. I don't know what causes the status change to appear on the Owner's Site but it was around the time TM had already shipped my vehicle to me that their site said it was now in the Paint Factory.

In fact, I took delivery last week, yet according to the status update, my Roadster is still in the Paint Factory!