Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production (Non-Sig) Model X Vin #'s now being issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But alas, while some non-sig Folks are getting VIN assignments, all of those are for the Performance version. I'm in the non-sig, non-P 90D line, and none of us have heard bumpkiss. I know we've been told mid-2016, but that covers a lot of real estate on a calendar. Would love to see the non-Performance 90D folks from early in the list start to see some VIN assignments, but as I wrote in other forums, I must profusely thank all of you beta testers to ensure that my delivered X might have less snafus to worry about.

While I can appreciate the anxiety @jsollender, actually only a small number of Production P90D have a VIN. I have only seen about 15 in both this and Tesla.com website, and none with a committed delivery. I have a P90D ordered, and confirmed a month ago with no VIN as yet. So it is early in the process. VINs are issued as vehicles are entering production. With Signatures awaiting delivery, I don't expect a Production/Delivery for another 30-60 days (mid March). I am sure as the P90Ds and Signatures deliveries ramp, the VINs for 90D's will be coming.

But alas, while some non-sig Folks are getting VIN assignments, all of those are for the Performance version. I'm in the non-sig, non-P 90D line, and none of us have heard bumpkiss. I know we've been told mid-2016, but that covers a lot of real estate on a calendar. Would love to see the non-Performance 90D folks from early in the list start to see some VIN assignments, but as I wrote in other forums, I must profusely thank all of you beta testers to ensure that my delivered X might have less snafus to worry about.
Fwiw - I'm in the same boat as you and have a DS assigned, who gave me a mid-year production estimate.

Since everyone is sharing, I think I may have ordered mine at the "sweet spot" in production ramp up.

Reserved: September 2015
Reservation #:
8,29X

Config invite: 1
/11/2016
Order complete:
1/18/2016
VIN #: Not Assigned

But looking at this forum thread, I SHOULD get a VIN assigned in exactly one week and then contact from DS soon thereafter.
Guessing Delivery shall be Mid March, Early March if I agree to pick it up at factory instead of waiting for delivery all the way to Florida

Since everyone is sharing, I think I may have ordered mine at the "sweet spot" in production ramp up.

Reserved: September 2015
Reservation #:
8,29X

Config invite: 1
/11/2016
Order complete:
1/18/2016
VIN #: Not Assigned

But looking at this forum thread, I SHOULD get a VIN assigned in exactly one week and then contact from DS soon thereafter.
Guessing Delivery shall be Mid March, Early March if I agree to pick it up at factory instead of waiting for delivery all the way to Florida

No, your order will confirm one week after you click the order button, VIN assignment will depend on what options you choose. The only production cars to have a VIN so far are P90D with Ludicrous.

I have a P90D ludicrous with a 24x VIN that is essentially done at the factory and I still don't know who my DS is, DS assignment seems very dependent on where you are taking delivery and how eager the DS is to get in touch with you.

No, your order will confirm one week after you click the order button, VIN assignment will depend on what options you choose. The only production cars to have a VIN so far are P90D with Ludicrous.

I have a VIN that is P90D without ludicrous. It seems like performance and premium package (in addition to possibly geographical region) have been given the early production VINs

Fwiw - I'm in the same boat as you and have a DS assigned, who gave me a mid-year production estimate.

We also have a DS Assigned. I am not going to even ask about when but I am putting the over/under as April 15. Any bets?

Are they producing them in order of VIN? I ask because we just got our P90D (no Ludicrous) VIN at it's 6xx. Our order just confirmed last week. It seems we will be getting our X sooner than we thought.

Well.... the answer to the question you really meant to ask is: Tesla is NOT delivering the car in order of the VIN. Many signature VIN's in the 6xx range were delivered before much lower VIN's (including Mark Z's teenage VIN). There are people who have higher production VIN's than me that are being contacted by DS and told to prepare for delivery in February. But even with my production VIN of 13x, I have had no contact with my DS yet. YMMV.

Clearly they are continuing to push P90D over 90D as I am 14xxx and no Vin and am seeing some 16xxx with vins for P90D orders. This is per the plan so the real question is how far will Tesla go through the reservation list before stopping and starting with the 90D's?

As an example, if somebody places a new reservation for a P90D today (let's say they get reservation number 45xxx), would they be prioritized ahead of a 90D holder who has been on the list for 2+ years (lets say RN # 14xxx)?

And to add on the Tesla X site it says "The estimated delivery for new reservations is the latter half of 2016" So perhaps they have some cutoff where reservations after a certain point, even if for P90DX, will get placed in queue after 90D's and perhaps even 70D reservation holders who are within the cutoff.

Last edited:
Clearly they are continuing to push P90D over 90D as I am 14xxx and no Vin and am seeing some 16xxx with vins for P90D orders. This is per the plan so the real question is how far will Tesla go through the reservation list before stopping and starting with the 90D's?

As an example, if somebody places a new reservation for a P90D today (let's say they get reservation number 45xxx), would they be prioritized ahead of a 90D holder who has been on the list for 2+ years (lets say RN # 14xxx)?

And to add on the Tesla X site it says "The estimated delivery for new reservations is the latter half of 2016" So perhaps they have some cutoff where reservations after a certain point, even if for P90DX, will get placed in queue after 90D's and perhaps even 70D reservation holders who are within the cutoff.

I don't quite believe what I just saw on modelxtracker.com, but someone in SanDiego lists that they have an order confirmed for a 90D (not sig, and not P90D) res# 15310 who completed DS on 1/11/16, had a VIN assigned today and is in production with ETA delivery 2/15/16. Is this at all possible? In modelxtracker data export, he/she lists no options to gauge how they have a VIN and ETA of delivery...Is this possible? I have my doubts....

I don't quite believe what I just saw on modelxtracker.com, but someone in SanDiego lists that they have an order confirmed for a 90D (not sig, and not P90D) res# 15310 who completed DS on 1/11/16, had a VIN assigned today and is in production with ETA delivery 2/15/16. Is this at all possible? In modelxtracker data export, he/she lists no options to gauge how they have a VIN and ETA of delivery...Is this possible? I have my doubts....

agree not possible, probably forgot to put the P on the front