Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Profound progress towards FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's difficult to take Elon seriously about FSD as well, lol. That's why the FSD debate has been so heated. It'll be unprecedented if Tesla can go from the current state of AP to any convincing implementation of feature-complete / FSD (that would allow us to believe that FSD will be here soon as Elon said).

No L5 this decade from anyone.

I am not sure about that. 10 years is a long time in the tech world. Tech improves so quickly. I definitely think Waymo, Cruise or Mobileye could get to L5 in 10 years. They got all the fundamentals of autonomous driving done. They have highway autonomous driving done too. Now, they are focused on city autonomous driving because that still has some unsolved and challenging cases. They need to make autonomous driving more reliable and more intelligent with complex urban driving, especially with predicting behavior of other objects. I realize that will require lot of work but I think they could do it in 10 years. I think Tesla could do L5 in 10 years too but only if they add new sensors/hardware. Just my personal opinion, completely subjective of course.

Last edited:
FSD will come quicker than you guys think. I trust Elon on this one. Personally, I'm very skeptical given my experience in software, tech, and Tesla ownership, but Elon and team know better than I or we.
Elon is driven, he has got resources, but the problem is bigger than he or you think. What is your definition of FSD? Coast to coast, no disengagements, but babysat? Suspect this is Elon's definition.

he seems to have different definitions, feature complete but driver paying attention to sleeping in car robo taxi.

Well, to be totally fair, Elon is describing "FSD" at different stages of reliability. So "feature complete but driver paying attention" is Elon's first stage of "FSD" and then he hopes "FSD" will become "sleeping in car robotaxi" later when it becomes more reliable.

Well, to be totally fair, Elon is describing "FSD" at different stages of reliability. So "feature complete but driver paying attention" is Elon's first stage of "FSD" and then he hopes "FSD" will become "sleeping in car robotaxi" later when it becomes more reliable.
To be totally fair, the text for FSD has not change much at all, since October 2016 on their website. Still available today: Autopilot
upload_2020-8-24_10-32-20.png

Since you love to only pluck out some of the verbiage out of that "promise", please point your attention on the following text:
The future use of these features without supervision is dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving capabilities are introduced, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

Reactions: APotatoGod
To be totally fair, the text for FSD has not change much at all, since October 2016 on their website. Still available today: Autopilot
View attachment 580079

Since you love to only pluck out some of the verbiage out of that "promise", please point your attention on the following text:

Are you just trying to argue for argument's sake. What are you disagreeing with? I simply paraphrased what Elon said that feature complete would require driver supervision and then later when Tesla improves the reliability, we will be able to sleep in our cars. That's the same thing as the text you posted, that FSD will require driver supervision at first and then later after billions of miles of testing, it won't require driver supervision anymore. We are saying the same thing. What are you disagreeing with?

Last edited:
lol, ok, so you bought FSD from a video?
No, you bought what is listed at the time of purchase! Just like selecting options on the car.

What you bough, and Tesla is legally responsible for is clearly listed.
What Elon is saying in the video goes beyond that.
If we are able to get the stuff on current hardware would be gravy compared to what you bought.
Some examples below.
  1. "almost all circumstances" -- the very first sentence.
  2. The future use of these features without supervision is dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience,
  3. as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions.
upload_2020-8-24_12-54-42.png

Do you know what the law says? It some jurisdictions Tesla and Elon are liable for these statements. So to say that Tesla and Elon have never marketed Level 5 is incorrect.
They will have to deal with each legal jurisdiction just like they state in the last paragraph "regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions."

But still would be interesting to watch the argument of I bought, X listed at time of purchase but I want Y that was mentioned on a video by the CEO.

In some jurisdictions it will be "regulatory blacklisting/ban" hell Germany is already on that track.

Let me just get a clear picture:
For the ones that are active on this forum:
If Tesla releases all features of FSD (the middle paragraph is a good example of all features of FSD).
Every morning you do your commute, without any issues.
Then, one morning the car tells you that it cannot perform the drive because of inclement weather (it was pouring outside).
Would you say that Tesla has delivered what you bought?

upload_2020-8-24_13-28-16.png

Let me just get a clear picture:
For the ones that are active on this forum:
If Tesla releases all features of FSD (the middle paragraph is a good example of all features of FSD).
Every morning you do your commute, without any issues.
Then, one morning the car tells you that it cannot perform the drive because of inclement weather (it was pouring outside).
Would you say that Tesla has delivered what you bought?

View attachment 580217

Yes because the top paragraph says "almost all circumstances". So Tesla is clear that FSD won't work in all circumstances.

Reactions: pilotSteve