Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been in the FSD Beta program since summer of last year, and while I've seen updates with significant improvements, so far my limited experience with 11.4.2 has shown more improvements than I've seen in any prior release.

(As always, YMMV).

We've all developed a feel for what FSD Beta can and can't do. And yes, experiences vary wildly, from "It works well and I use it a lot" to "I've cancelled my FSD subscription". We all have a personal list of situations and edge cases where it doesn't work well, or at all. So when I received the update, I took the car on a route I do frequently: my house to the gym and back. Prior FSD versions have handled this route with varying degrees of success, but the past several versions have demonstrated consistent problems at specific places that 11.4.2 seems to have resolved.

Improvement #1: The car must make two right-hand turns at stop signs to exit the housing division I live in. Visibility to the left is marginal on both turns. Heavy bushes block your view to the left of the first turn, and an uphill crest restricts visibility to the left on the second turn. Previous FSD iterations handled these turns by:

-- Stop well back of stop sign, confusing following drivers
-- Inching forward
-- Inching forward
-- "FSD creeping forward" notice on dash
-- Inching forward (car behind me honks)
-- Sudden, lunging acceleration into the turn.

With 11.4.2, the car pulls confidently up to the stop sign, makes a single, short forward motion to check traffic to the left, and then pulls smoothly and confidently through the turn.

Improvement #2: Lane choices are much better. Going to the gym, the car turns left onto a 3-lane street. In 2.5 blocks it will need to turn left to get onto the highway. With earlier FSD versions, the car would turn into the far left lane, then almost immediately move to the middle or right lane (which lanes seems to depend on traffic). Since traffic tends to back up at the freeway entrance, this often left the car in the wrong lane to get onto the highway, and it would miss the entrance since it couldn't merge into the existing line of cars.

With 11.4.2, the car turns into the left lane and stays there. A similar "wrong lane" situation occurs when I'm returning from the gym, with the car existing the highway to the right and moving into the far left lane when a right turn is coming up in 2 blocks. This also seems to have been resolved.

My experience has been limited so far but it's looking very good. The progress of FSD reminds me of the progress made in speech recognition: I was writing speech recognition software for the Apple ][ computers in the early 80s (yes, I'm that old). At the time you had to train the system on individual words, many repetitions of each word were involved, and the possible vocabulary was very small (10-15 words). Over the years the training sessions became faster and the vocabulary size increased. Sometime in the 90s we hit the point where you could dictate (Dragon Dictate, anyone?) as long as you paused..slightly...between..each..word. And you still had to read a few paragraphs to the computer first.

Now, my iPhone recognizes continuous speech in real time, completely on the device, with no training necessary. This wasn't heralded as a giant breakthrough; speech recognition just got incrementally better over time. FSD seems to be heading along the same path, but MUCH faster. I dunno if Elon will ever achieve L3 or above with the current setup, but 11.4.2 makes me optimistic it will at the least be a very useful feature.

I'm certain there will be people whose experiences are nowhere near as positive as mine. What's your experience with 11.4.x been?
screenshot-www.tesla.com-2023.06.05-18_47_38.png

11.4.2 is much more confident and smooth. The drives are much more relaxed then with versions last year. It is now a useful feature of the car which I use all the time. I would just like future versions to have minimal lane changes as a user setting rather than having to turn it on for every fsd drive.

Reactions: GSP and powertoold
Much smoother. I took my mother (in her 80s) on a drive and she enjoyed the entire thing. I had to push through a couple hesitations, but otherwise, it did very well. A mix of low-density urban, suburban and rural driving.

I'm developing greater confidence in the software's abilities, but it's definitely not ready to solo. There are still some of the same issues from 11.3.6, but primarily speed control while entering and moving through curves. Sometimes it's quite good, but other times it's rubbish. No improvement with speed bumps for me.

Lane selection is the highlight of 11.4.2.

1) Picking the rightmost left turn lane so that the car is in position for a right turn at the next light.
2) Making several lane changes in a row to move across a multilane highway for an exit on the opposite side. I've been waiting for this one. I was tickled to see the car not only complete that move, but also get into the exit lane right away, which meant that the long backup of cars already in the lane didn't pose a problem.

I did have one lane change away from an exit with the explanation that the change was "to stay on route". The car still made the exit without issue, but the lane change was not desirable.

I noticed one other odd thing. I did an out-and-back trip and on each leg the car hesitated, braked and stopped on the final 90 degree turn of the route. I didn't see this sort of thing for any other turn on either leg of the trip. One right turn and one left turn.

A dangerous moment came when I let the car pick a route that I knew was challenging. It involved moving from the highway to the local lanes just prior to an exit. This is entirely down to poor GPS routing (an earlier move into the local lanes would have made the whole thing trivial), but I wanted to see what the car would do. It tried, but there was too much traffic. The dangerous bit was that it slowed far too much in highway traffic as it seemed to be obsessed with making the exit. I took over and made the exit manually, clipping the gore.

Comically, at the very beginning of the first drive, my car was covered in pollen and FSDb tried to clear the windshield with the wipers. I wasn't going to let the wipers drag across dry pollen, so I hit the washers. The combination of washer fluid and pollen occluded the forward camers and FSDb immediately called for me to take over.

I'll echo some of the aforementioned comments on 11.4.2. It is better than 11.3.6 in many respects. One thing it does now is exit a freeway HOV lane (left side of freeway) to catch a right exit to continue a planned route. It anticipates exits with earlier lane changes better than before.

I have a left turn scenario onto a freeway on-ramp that 11.3.3 and 11.3.6 could not do. Earlier versions could. ??? Now, 11.4.2 can make that left turn IF there are no other cars already waiting in the left turn lane. If there are cars backed up in the left turn lane, 11.4.2 drives by and then tries to make an illegal left turn in front of the cars in the left turn lane. That's a carry-over from 11.3.6. FSD can't figure out the left turn lane there - before the intersection, the center lane is a two-way left turn lane. It changes to a regular left turn lane at the intersection.

I had to intervene at a right turn off a freeway exit ramp onto a road when the vehicle failed to notice that the raised sidewalk at the corner and tried to drive into it. The exit ramp shoulder was flat up to the intersection and the added raised sidewalk, and the vehicle strayed too far to the right before it was to make the actual right turn at the intersection. It seemed to ignore the white line on the right - if it had followed the line, it wouldn't have tried to hit the raised sidewalk edge.

Also, at 11.3.3, FSD beta had a really nice feature that has disappeared for some reason. As of 11.3.3, if one was driving on a freeway in the leftmost (not HOV) lane, and someone came up from behind in the same lane at a higher speed, FSD would move over to the right one lane to let the following vehicle go past. That disappeared in 11.3.6 and is still missing in 11.4.2.

I wish FSD beta would see left turn arrows at intersections. It doesn't display them as anything other than a green light.

I'll try more of the previous failure scenarios in the near future.

Also, at 11.3.3, FSD beta had a really nice feature that has disappeared for some reason. As of 11.3.3, if one was driving on a freeway in the leftmost (not HOV) lane, and someone came up from behind in the same lane at a higher speed, FSD would move over to the right one lane to let the following vehicle go past. That disappeared in 11.3.6 and is still missing in 11.4.2.
I have driven almost 400km on 11.4.2 yesterday. I tried all 3 levels of assertiveness.

What you described above only seems to happen to me if my setting is Assertive. If I'm on the average or mild setting, the car moves to the middle/right lane on highways as faster cars approach to my rear, although for some reason, sometimes it moves more promptly than other times.

I'm now experimenting driving only with average setting without Minimize Lane Change, just to learn how this version behaves (mostly lane handling) under different circumstances.

Overall, FSD on highway is really good. Looking forward to our next 1000km+ trips now.

I have driven almost 400km on 11.4.2 yesterday. I tried all 3 levels of assertiveness.

What you described above only seems to happen to me if my setting is Assertive. If I'm on the average or mild setting, the car moves to the middle/right lane on highways as faster cars approach to my rear, although for some reason, sometimes it moves more promptly than other times.

I'm now experimenting driving only with average setting without Minimize Lane Change, just to learn how this version behaves (mostly lane handling) under different circumstances.

Overall, FSD on highway is really good. Looking forward to our next 1000km+ trips now.
Thanks for this insight. I was running on Assertive, and I'll try the other settings today. Sure would be useful if Tesla would provide more information/documentation on FSD beta settings!

Reactions: JohnB007
Just do an update.....
I guess you mean to check to see if an update is available to you under Software since there is no such thing as to "just do an update". Of course checking doesn't do anything except to see if you are in the queue. If you aren't in the queue then all you can do is just wait (what I'm doing now too). It has been debated for years if the Advanced button is more than just placebo but even if it does something it would be more applicable to standard updates (not likely to the Beta, especially since almost all on Beta will have it set). However it dosn't hurt to have it selected.

Reactions: vanca
A look at TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker suggests 11.4.2 installs are throttling down and I'm not going to get it. It is a bummer being stuck on 11.3.6, though admittedly that was a big improvement.
Every FSDb update has a staged roll out where it goes to employees first, then to the very small original FSD tester group, then to successively larger groups of users. When regular users get the updates seems to be a random selection. Sometimes you get it early, sometimes late.

With each wave of roll outs, Tesla pauses to allow time for them to receive telemetry from the cars that have installed the software. They should be analyzing disconnect statistics and other items of concern to determine if the software works well enough to rollout to the next batch of users. If they detect a serious issue, they may stop the roll out until they can prepare a bug fix version. The new version may pick up where the old one left off, or, Tesla might start the roll out all over.

The bottom line is that you WILL get 11.4.x. It may be 11.4.2. It may be 11.4.3 or .4, depending on how things go. But you will get it eventually.

BTW, the Normal/Advanced selector on the software screen has never seemed to affect when you actually get an update.

Reactions: GSP
11.4.2 is more confident and lane choices seem better. I don't know if everyone is experiencing this, but when I was wearing dark sunglasses today, the hand nags were spaced at about 60 rather than 15 seconds, but only when driving at speeds less than 30 mph. I checked it a number of times on different routes and nag interval was consistent. It's really a pleasure to not jiggle the handle all the time. It's also a relief that the FSDb "whack a mole challenge" (flickering gray FSD wheel icon) is deceased.

I had a few urban and rural drives today and only one disengagement when the car decided to use the shoulder for a right turn. One bug that I did notice is that the navigation screen sometimes gets stuck when pressing the Navigate button. One has to go to the main screen and start again to clear the freeze. Else, this version is an improvement over 11.3.6.

Reactions: APotatoGod