Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Profound progress towards FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a thread on Reddit with some leaks about the rewrite and V11 from someone with inside knowledge:

"There are lots of cool stuff on the way! v11 is actually crazy from the things I’m told. Take a look at the CuberTruck UI for a teaser."

"From my understanding, the rewrite and v11 should be out around the same time. I’m told v11 will be out about a month after the rewrite is complete. Literally don’t take this as any bit fact, but I have a hunch we may see v11 as early as late September. From my understanding v11 is running ahead of schedule. The only reason v11 may be out slightly after the rewrite is if the v11 UI relies on stuff from the rewrite. That’s my theory anyway.

The first version of the rewrite will be about the same as the current AP. A lot of new features will come really fast tho after about the first month. 90-degree turns will be in early access almost straight away. As well as smart summon is getting some huge improvements pretty fast after release. I’ve been saying, new smart summon will drive like a human. People will say “well humans drive bad”. I mean as far as moving in a parking lot. It drives with the flow most humans drive with. Whereas now summon stops randomly in the road and can’t see parking spots. With the rewrite, most people wouldn’t know the car is driving itself unless they see there’s no driver of course. It’ll park and everything like a human."

"What you’re describing with the NOA/lane changing on city streets. That will be around the same time as the 90-degree turns. We’re going to get a lot of “big” updates within a really short time period. From how it was described to me, within a few months we’re going to get multiple of these “big” features. I’d assume that’s why we won’t be getting any new big features until the rewrite is completed.

As far as the no conformation, I meant the feature is ready to go. I’m not sure if we will get this before or after the rewrite. I’d assume after. Also, to be honest I’m not sure if it will just be traffic lights, or lights and stop signs I wasn’t told and didn’t think to ask."

Version 11? : teslamotors

If he is right, it sounds like we will get the rewrite in V11 that will start the same as what we have now. We will get new FSD visualizations and UI in V11 and then we will get big updates like "City NOA", "Making turns", "Reverse Summon", and "No confirmation traffic light and stop sign control" pretty quickly afterwards.

It sounds credible since that is similar to how V10 was rolled out. In any case, it looks like V11 is going to be HUGE!

"...
The first version of the rewrite will be about the same as the current AP. ..."

I'll believe it when I see it. Remember how the 2016 AP2.x should have been on parity with AP1? Didn't happen in 2 years.
Okay, they started from scratch, but this is a rewrite too. Rewrites will introduce teething issues. Be prepared to have a janky AP for the next couple of releases.

Okay, they started from scratch, but this is a rewrite too. Rewrites will introduce teething issues. Be prepared to have a janky AP for the next couple of releases.

I have faith that Tesla is beyond that. Since Karpathy took over, there haven't been much regression in AP. There could have been major problems with the roll out of traffic control, but it was as "silky smooth" as can be.

I'll believe it when I see it. Remember how the 2016 AP2.x should have been on parity with AP1? Didn't happen in 2 years.

Sure, there could be some regressions at first. That is to be expected. I just meant that the feature list would be the same when V11 first launches since the new features would come later. So at launch, V11 would start with the same features that we have now.

I have faith that Tesla is beyond that. Since Karpathy took over, there haven't been much regression in AP. There could have been major problems with the roll out of traffic control, but it was as "silky smooth" as can be.

It has been more or less the same for me. Regressions, and correction of those regressions. The best one was back in 2018 I think. Personal opinion though :)

Sure, there could be some regressions at first. That is to be expected. I just meant that the feature list would be the same when V11 first launches since the new features would come later. So at launch, V11 would start with the same features that we have now.

Yeah! I am not commenting on you personally, just on the message itself. Thanks for sharing it! Don't shoot the messenger right? :)

Reactions: diplomat33
Here is a thread on Reddit with some leaks about the rewrite and V11 from someone with inside knowledge:

"There are lots of cool stuff on the way! v11 is actually crazy from the things I’m told. Take a look at the CuberTruck UI for a teaser."

"From my understanding, the rewrite and v11 should be out around the same time. I’m told v11 will be out about a month after the rewrite is complete. Literally don’t take this as any bit fact, but I have a hunch we may see v11 as early as late September. From my understanding v11 is running ahead of schedule. The only reason v11 may be out slightly after the rewrite is if the v11 UI relies on stuff from the rewrite. That’s my theory anyway.

The first version of the rewrite will be about the same as the current AP. A lot of new features will come really fast tho after about the first month. 90-degree turns will be in early access almost straight away. As well as smart summon is getting some huge improvements pretty fast after release. I’ve been saying, new smart summon will drive like a human. People will say “well humans drive bad”. I mean as far as moving in a parking lot. It drives with the flow most humans drive with. Whereas now summon stops randomly in the road and can’t see parking spots. With the rewrite, most people wouldn’t know the car is driving itself unless they see there’s no driver of course. It’ll park and everything like a human."

"What you’re describing with the NOA/lane changing on city streets. That will be around the same time as the 90-degree turns. We’re going to get a lot of “big” updates within a really short time period. From how it was described to me, within a few months we’re going to get multiple of these “big” features. I’d assume that’s why we won’t be getting any new big features until the rewrite is completed.

As far as the no conformation, I meant the feature is ready to go. I’m not sure if we will get this before or after the rewrite. I’d assume after. Also, to be honest I’m not sure if it will just be traffic lights, or lights and stop signs I wasn’t told and didn’t think to ask."

If he is right, it sounds like we will get the rewrite in V11 that will start the same as what we have now. We will get new FSD visualizations and UI in V11 and then we will get big updates like "City NOA", "Making turns", "Reverse Summon", and "No confirmation traffic light and stop sign control" pretty quickly afterwards.

It sounds credible since that is similar to how V10 was rolled out. In any case, it looks like V11 is going to be HUGE!

Did they delete post? Went to thread to read more but can’t find.

Either way, just a little more reason to be excited that big things are truly on the way.

No traffic confirmation control on lights and lane changes is a huge step forward. Put 90 degree turns in and this update might be the most exciting thing Tesla has released. I might even start driving my Tesla regularly..... LOL

Reactions: diplomat33

I wouldn't say this situation is exactly 1:1. Last time when Tesla went from AP1 to AP2, Tesla's hand was forced by the MobilEye breakup and they had to release a version of AP that wasn't ready yet. Tesla was supposedly planning a hybrid approach of running an EyeQ3 chip and developing Tesla Vision in the background. There were leaks of a dual front facing camera to replace the single forward camera and an empty spot for a MobilEye chip on the AP2 board. But when MobilEye and Tesla split ways, I assume the deal with MobilEye went south and AP2 was implemented with the new sensor suite and a blank space on the AP2 board where the MobilEye chip should have been. So Tesla had to develop their own vision system from scratch to replicate MobilEye's functionality, and it took them a lot longer than they thought it would.

This time Tesla is able to release this rewrite on their own terms when they are satisfied with the performance. I agree that there might be some regression in certain cases, but I don't expect it to be anything like the AP1 to 2.0 jump. That transition was forced when the floor fell out from under them, and this time they can release the rewrite when Tesla believes it is ready.

I wouldn't say this situation is exactly 1:1. Last time when Tesla went from AP1 to AP2, Tesla's hand was forced by the MobilEye breakup and they had to release a version of AP that wasn't ready yet. Tesla was supposedly planning a hybrid approach of running an EyeQ3 chip and developing Tesla Vision in the background. There were leaks of a dual front facing camera to replace the single forward camera and an empty spot for a MobilEye chip on the AP2 board. But when MobilEye and Tesla split ways, I assume the deal with MobilEye went south and AP2 was implemented with the new sensor suite and a blank space on the AP2 board where the MobilEye chip should have been. So Tesla had to develop their own vision system from scratch to replicate MobilEye's functionality, and it took them a lot longer than they thought it would.

This time Tesla is able to release this rewrite on their own terms when they are satisfied with the performance. I agree that there might be some regression in certain cases, but I don't expect it to be anything like the AP1 to 2.0 jump. That transition was forced when the floor fell out from under them, and this time they can release the rewrite when Tesla believes it is ready.

That's what I said. I have never seen a rewrite being bug free on first release. It will take time to iron out everything here too. It will be less bad than the AP1 -> AP2, but you will not be up to par with 1.0 AP2.x software on the first few releases methings.

By the way SatinGreyTesla teased some other things he knows but can't say:

X2XGFq0.png

Let the wild speculation begin!

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ
Arizona, Florida, Texas are states where the laws do not prohibit driverless. I don't like how Musk implies it will take a while to get regulatory approval, when none is needed in 16 states.
He is replying to Viv, who's a student in Germany. (and is on 3rd row Tesla podcast)
I think his context in the reply was more for Europe, since he said 10 billion km not Miles. just a hunch.

Reactions: DanCar
He is replying to Viv, who's a student in Germany. (and is on 3rd row Tesla podcast)
I think his context in the reply was more for Europe, since he said 10 billion km not Miles. just a hunch.
Germany already allows Level 3 autonomous vehicles. Mercedes claims they are going release a L3 feature on the S class (I'm skeptical though since Audi claimed they were going to do the same thing on the A8 and it never happened).

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Reactions: emmz0r
Maybe it doesn't fit into the lidar camp's definitions, but the traffic control feature currently does all of the above.

This has nothing to do with lidar or any particular sensor suite. Again you fail to understand what's being discussed.
The traffic control feature consists of perception (vision NN model) and classical control algorithm (if/then) to stop.