Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PROOF active participation in Tesla Motors Club is a VALUABLE activity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I for one am drinking (guzzling) the Tesla Kool-Aid because of where I think this will all be in another 10-20 years. :)

I always laugh at the Apple/Tesla comparisons. Tesla will do more good for this world than Apple by far. Tesla's sole reason to exist is to make the world a better place. Apple is there to make money by selling overpriced gadgets to those who can afford them. Somewhat of a difference. (I know, I know, currently Tesla does the same, but with a very differing end goal). I'm happy to pay a 20% premium for a car that will hustle in the decline of the ICE.

I'm not discounting the profound way apple has affected the cellphone industry and computer industry, but come on, Apple is in it for Apple, Tesla is in it for the world.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Apple is there to make money by selling overpriced gadgets to those who can afford them. Somewhat of a difference.
I don't put Apple and Tesla in the same category either, but you are not giving Apple anywhere near it's due. They started with a very strong idealism to empower individual creativity and self-advancement. They succeeded admirably. Nowadays they are a very socially aware company that goes to great lengths to be a good corporate citizen. Not a perfect one by any means, but a whole lot better than most.

Tesla is at a different level though, to my mind in the rarefied company of GNU.

-- Just my opinion, typed on a fantastic Chromebook

I'm not saying they've done nothing, but I hardly think they're "good corporate citizens".

One Chart Shows the Staggering Amount of Money Apple Is Hiding Overseas

Granted google is in here too, but Apple is hiding 4 times as much overseas. How's that for good corporate citizenship? Maybe things are different with Cook, he seems a much better person than Jobs was, but I don't think he's got the vision that Jobs did.

@SageBrush Also, not trying to start an argument here, more of a discussion. But as an aside, how's the chromebook?

But as an aside, how's the chromebook?
Brilliant -- for my uses.

I might feel different if I played video games or edited raw photography or video. For our uses of consuming content, the web, writing, cloud access, and running a business with Google Docs it just works, always works, and is a absolute pleasure to use. I love the UI. And of course the CLI is accessible when I feel like the olde days. A lot of Chromebooks have mediocre hardware but ~ $400 will buy a much better product*. High powered, energy draining CPUs are not needed or advisable.

Disclaimer: I am a Google Fanboi. Between Docs, my Pixel phone and my ACER R13 Chromebook, I'm a very happy camper.
Google should be soon opening up Chromebooks to Android as well, but I doubt I personally will care much since web apps work fine.

*Better, in the sense of display, keyboard, weight, aesthetics and battery life. Not GPU or CPU

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Brilliant -- for my uses.

I might feel different if I played video games or edited raw photography or video. For our uses of consuming content, the web, writing, cloud access, and running a business with Google Docs it just works, always works, and is a absolute pleasure to use. I love the UI. And of course the CLI is accessible when I feel like the olde days. A lot of Chromebooks have mediocre hardware but ~ $400 will buy a much better product. High powered, energy draining CPUs are not needed or advisable.

Disclaimer: I am a Google Fanboi. Between Docs, my Pixel phone and my ACER R13 Chromebook, I'm a very happy camper.
Google should be soon opening up Chromebooks to Android as well, but I doubt I personally will care much since web apps work fine.

Cool, good to hear.

I'm loving my 128GB Pixel XL and just found out that IFTTT has a google assistant integration channel. I just set up custom voice commands to "turn on the ps4" and "goodnight" to turn off the appropriate lights (integration with the Logitech Harmony channel). I also have a google home pre-ordered and am looking forward to it!

Reactions: SageBrush
While trying to decide if we should buy a car that cost almost as much as my first two homes, I came across this site. Learned I could get $1000 discount by using a referral code. My sales rep had asked if someone referred me, but I just blew it off and I didn't remember him saying I should get one.

So this site saved me $1000, but (happily) cost me much more.

I'm not saying they've done nothing, but I hardly think they're "good corporate citizens".

One Chart Shows the Staggering Amount of Money Apple Is Hiding Overseas

Granted google is in here too, but Apple is hiding 4 times as much overseas. How's that for good corporate citizenship? Maybe things are different with Cook, he seems a much better person than Jobs was, but I don't think he's got the vision that Jobs did.

@SageBrush Also, not trying to start an argument here, more of a discussion. But as an aside, how's the chromebook?

Apple isn't exactly "hiding" the money overseas. As a publicly traded company they have a financial responsibility to serve their shareholders and all that cash is not needed for US operations. They actually don't have any use for it at all at the moment. If they brought that money into the US, they might need to pay taxes on it, then if they decide to use it offshore, the need to export it again. Leaving money in the regions where it was earned leaves capital available for those markets if they decide to invest that money in those regions.

It would be nice if they brought that money back to the US and spent it here. It would help the US economy, but that isn't necessarily the best thing for the company's shareholders.