Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proof of Concept, parcel shelf lifting with tailgate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ElSupreme

Model S 03182
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
So I am waiting for other people to finish up at work, and all I want to do is go home. Because I have to be here tomorrow anyway.

So I decided to use a couple of things lying around to do a proof of concept for having the parcel shelf lift up when the tailgate comes up. I found some ear plugs, and binder clips and went to work. And about 5 minutes later I had this working very well.

WP_20130517_017.jpg

Here is the lifted parcel shelf. Works much like my GTI did, but with the hinge it isn't quite as nice. The earplugs were run into the crack in paneling and are held in place by friction, and the expanded ear plug itslef.

WP_20130517_018.jpg

Binder clips are placed, on the shelf, where they meet with the magnet in the rails. They should hold down the shelf a little bit better now. They also are holding the ear plug string.

WP_20130517_019.jpg

Here is a picture of it closed. Everything lies flat.

For my permanent solution I hope to have a small piece of steel attached to the underside of the shelf, to hold down to the magnets. I also hope to have a weighted end to the string, and feed it through a hole. This way you wont have loose string showing above your shelf. I will probably move away from yellow, and go with dark charcoal or black.

As for adhering to the liftgate. I think my method is great. Easy to take off and on, and very stable otherwise. I hopefully will be able to make a string work as well as the ear plug plastic lanyard.

I like it! I'll probably do it or similar. Like the idea of the rope through a hole in the shelf.

But, isn't amazing that with these 90K and more cars, we have to improvise? Wouldn't passenger assist grab handles be nice? I know there is already a thread or two on hanger hooks, but today was the first day I wanted to hang a suit jacket and was rather irritated that I had to throw it on the rear seat. My LEAF has passenger assist grab handles that will accept a clothes hanger, and the parcel shelf lifts when you open the tail gate.

Yeah, I still love it.

Is there any chance of the string getting caught in the door seal? I guess if you do your weighted solution it won't.

If you just let the string fall on top of the shelf a small one, if your cord is very flexible I highly doubt it would happen, but a stiff cord I could see getting in the seal. The yellow cord I used is really stretchy. It is just a cylinder of plastic, and stretches a lot before pulling up the shelf, so I don't get that much slack when it falls.

Any update to this concept?

Sadly no. I have worked every day since I originally posted.

I somehow got about half of 3 people's workloads, because they were too busy. When I was already looking at a pretty full workload. So Other than a hour long attempt, and a minor issue with my plan last Saturday night I have not made any progress. I bought some bits from Lowes, and have a piece of metal in one side, that magnets down the lid, but other than that I don't have more progress.\

I might have some time Monday. I am working till about 1pm today. I have to watch 7.5 hours of Arrested Development, and play a soccer game (thank goodness Game of Thrones has the weekend off) Sunday. Monday I need to wash my car, and mow the lawn, but should be able to put in an hour or so trying to figure out how to make a nice neat hole in my parcel shelf, and get the other side done. It seems to be made of a plastic shreds all pressed together.

Parcel shelf mods-what I did on (with) a shoestring.

I carry golf clubs in the trunk and every time I took them out, I lifted the parcel shelf then forgot to put it back down. Only when I started driving did I realize that the shelf was still up, blocking my vision through the rear view mirror!

After I few incidents like this, I decided to use the same idea as my Nissan Leaf and proposed here.
I used a 3M command hook (removable just in case) and literally a black shoestring. I attached the shoestring by drilling through the edge of the parcel shelf and tying a knot. I experimented with the hook placement by taping the shoestring and adjusting it. I sewed the loop and put heat shrink tubing over for a finished look. It works with a partially open trunk as well as a fully open one. There is no problem with the slack, it just rests on the shelf. I found that only one side is needed. If the parcel shelf has to be removed, it's easy to unhook the looped end. Now I just open the trunk and take my stuff out, probably saving 10 minutes over my lifetime!

Package shelf mod overview.jpg
Package shelf mod trunk attachment.jpg
Package shelf attachment.jpg

Black hook

I might try this as I also have problems with my golf clubs. All the hooks I've found so far are white and stick out like a sore thumb. Where did you get the black one?

Hi fellow golfer,

Should have mentioned it. Command hooks were clear and I chose to leave the little tab on just in case. Of course, you could use white hooks. Anyhow, I just spray painted the whole thing flat black, tab and all.

tommyboy808 - I've used Command hooks very successfully to hang things on my walls and am quite familiar with them. I tried this exact thing about 4 months ago but could not get the 3M Command hook to stick to the car despite multiple attempts.

Did you do anything special to get the tape to stick? I'm mystified how you were able to get it to stick. I tried several different sizes and colors of Command hooks, all to no avail. What's your secret?

Hi ddruz,

I just cleaned the surface with an alcohol swab. So far 2 weeks with no problem (but who knows, next time I look, it may have fallen off! :wink:).

If I had a problem, I would consider going with 3M double sided tape. I believe there are different types from semi-permanent to outdoor permanent types, which I have used. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Products/?N=5485815&rt=c3

- - - Updated - - -

How long did it take you to install? ;-)

NigelM,

Do we count thinking time? Actually, it physically took no more than 5 minutes to try to locate the attachment point at the trunk lid for the hook. Then another 10 minutes to make the loop in the shoestring. Drilling and inserting and knotting the cord another 5 minutes. Total 30 minutes.

I should add that the shelf opens well if the trunk is opened only partway or all the way. The key is getting the shoestring length right. I couldn't add another picture, but the cord lies nicely on the shelf when closed. Someone was concerned that it might catch in the gap between the trunk and body, but it's short enough that there is not a lot of slack.

I actually showed it to the guys at our local service center and they were very interested. I think it's one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do that makes life infinitely easier and more convenient.

Frankly I am surprised nobody has come out with a cheap aftermarket competitor to Tesla's $250 shelf. Say, $50-100 for something just as good that also offers the functionality described in this thread. I am sorely tempted to build 'em myself and sell 'em!