Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proportions... not right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zambono

Mar 1, 2016
DC
I had hoped the Y might replace my S in a couple years if the S didn’t get a major overhaul but I have seen the Y at superchargers a couple times and the proportions are just way off. It’s mostly the rear but the front isn’t saved either. I must admit I find it very ugly, they should have stuck to a more traditional SUV silhouette. I also find all these “coupe” SUVs ugly as well.

Boo hoo , don’t buy one.

You may not like the “look” but the proportions are spot on. Bad proportions would be something like a Pontiac Aztec, or a truck with a cab the size of a Tacoma and a bed the size of an f-350.

I love the look from the rear and find the front less attractive, but overall I think it’s good looking car,

Agree it’s not a true SUV more like a mini S the way the hatch opens, but better ground clearance.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I had hoped the Y might replace my S in a couple years if the S didn’t get a major overhaul but I have seen the Y at superchargers a couple times and the proportions are just way off. It’s mostly the rear but the front isn’t saved either. I must admit I find it very ugly, they should have stuck to a more traditional SUV silhouette. I also find all these “coupe” SUVs ugly as well.

It just needs a wing on the back of it. I’m looking for one now but I’m Leery about drilling holes...

It just needs a wing on the back of it. I’m looking for one now but I’m Leery about drilling holes...

We ordered this CF wing from RPM Tesla. Attaches with adhesive strip. Our detailer put it on for free after PPF & ceramic coating.

Attachments

• BB6EE9D7-41B4-4D13-BEAA-D0EF2A018D56.jpeg
    BB6EE9D7-41B4-4D13-BEAA-D0EF2A018D56.jpeg
    421.6 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: VikH
I do agree with you that the S is a better looking car. Having own both, i still prefer the look of the S. But calling the Y ugly and disproportional is little too much. It's a SUV, it's usually won't look better than a sportier car, but it's still pretty good looking car to me.

I actually don't know what you are trying to accomplish also. Coming to a Model Y forum and make a post about how ugly the Y is. How is that benefit anyone?

In most all cases, a sedan or coupe looks better than a SUV based on that same platform. Gets better mileage and cost less too.

Reason the SUV's have become the most popular version is due to added versatility and capability.

Buyers get their choice.

Probably unpopular opinion (generally, but maybe no in this subforum), but I think the 3 looks weird and the Y fixes it. In contrast, the S looks way better than the X. The S has pretty great lines, though. It's still a pretty car all these years later.

All IMO, of course.

Comes to MY forum, says car is ugly, gets flamed. I've seen this play out before. Crossovers in general have a problem striking the right balance in proportions.

Regardless, I think most in here will like their MY - I think it's a great looking car. Given the popularity of the MY there's enough people out there that agree.

I actually don't prefer the M3 (looks like a Jetson's car from the front) and the MS is too cramped for my growing kids.

Reactions: VikH