Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proposal to TM: Rewards for referrals from existing owners.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Proposal to TM: Owner's Referral Rewards Program

I know it's been said all over the place on these forums, but I am serious. We should get at least a small token of appreciation!

Here is my proposal. I think it is reasonable. For the most part I think all rewards are less than 1% of the sales price of the vehicle. The intention here is only to thank existing owners by giving a small token of appreciation and encouraging them to keep up the word of mouth and spread the love!

ENROLLMENT/ELIGIBILITY/CONDITIONS

1. In order to be eligible for a reward, you *MUST* be the *ORIGINAL OWNER* of the Tesla model that you have referred to another owner.
  2. You must still own the vehicle.
  3. Second hand owners are not eligible.
  4. You can only refer the same model that you own.
    • If someone is buying an S, you must own an S. If someone is reserving an X, you must own an X. You cannot own an S and refer someone to buy an X and vise versa. The idea here is that you are showing the vehicle to the other person and 'acting like a salesman' would do. I recognize that the vehicles are similar, but tough luck. Go buy and S and an X and then you can refer both ;) lol
  5. ​Rewards are only paid out 3 months after the new owner has paid for and received their vehicle.
    • This prevents any abuse (people reserving then canceling) or returns (gasp! Like that would happen anyway, lol).
  6. You and your vehicle must be in good status with Tesla. Meaning you are up to date with your annual inspections.
  7. Tesla maintains the right to reject your eligibility for any reason (keep your car maintained!)

RESERVATION PAGE UPDATE

I propose that Tesla modifies their reservation page to include a referral entry. Two fields are added.

1. A text field for the name of the person who referred you
  2. Text field for the VIN number of their vehicle.

This information is used by Tesla to verify that you are indeed the original owner of the vehicle.

INCENTIVE FOR BUYER

• If referred by an eligible owner, you will get free Tesla car mats in your vehicle.

REWARDS

Ok heres the fun part, here is what I am proposing. The rewards should be based a little bit on the configuration of the vehicle that the new owner is buying. It does not matter what the configuration of your vehicle is - only the configuration of the new purchaser (kinda like commissions based on amount the new purchaser is buying).

For 40kWh, your choice of *ONE* of the following:

1. $200 cash (amex card)
  2. $300 credit at Tesla Accessories store
  3. Free car mats, lol!
  4. Your next annual inspection fee waived. ($600 value)

For 60kWh, your choice of *ONE* of the following:

1. $300 cash (amex card)
  2. $500 credit at Tesla Accessories store
  3. Free car mats + $100 credit at Tesla Accessories store
  4. Your next annual inspection fees waived. ($600 value)

For 85kWh, your choice of *ONE* of the following:

1. $500 cash (amex card)
  2. $700 credit at Tesla Accessories store
  3. Free car mats + $300 credit at Tesla Accessories store
  4. Your next two annual inspection fees waived. ($1200 value)

For Performance 85kWh, your choice of *ONE* of the following:

1. $600 cash (amex card)
  2. $800 credit at Tesla Accessories store
  3. Free car mats + $400 credit at Tesla Accessories store
  4. Your next two annual inspection fees waived. ($1200 value)

NOTE: the Tesla credit can also be used to pay for the $100 ranger service fee.

BONUS

IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE REWARDS, for multiple referrals you also get the following cumulative bonuses:

If you have referred 2 or more people of any model,

• automatic enrollment in 4 year Prepaid Maintenance ($1900 value)

If you have referred 3 or more people of any model:

• unlimited ranger service added to your prepaid maintenance ($2400 total value)

If you have referred 5 or more people of any model, you get ALL of the following :

• 4 year Prepaid Maintenance with unlimited ranger service ($2400 value)
  • Automatic free extended warranty ($2500 value)
  • Paid for trip to Fremont CA to for private factory tour and meet Elon Musk and George B (??? Flight + 2 night stay).
  • Referral Award (something cheesy, hat/tshirt/jacket - lol) & picture with Elon Musk and George B.

If you have referred 10 or more people of any model, you now also get the following :
  • free battery replacement (up to $12000 value!)

How does this sound? I think its reasonable...

Last edited:
As soon as people know you are making profit on referring them, they trust you less.
Also tesla would give away a lot for all the customers that would have bought anyway.

From my own experience I noticed that when I tell someone about something awesome and get them excited, as soon as I mention that If they should signup that it would be cool if they put me in as the referant they totally lose the excitement and assume that Im just out for the admission.

Don't really see that coming I also don't wish that, I would follow an advice of someone who talks enthusiastically about Tesla without making a dime on that, than someone who is out for profit.

I think it's entirely reasonable, but just as TD1, I think it's the wrong way to go. It undermines the value of the recommendation, and it might also create weird incentives. Multi-Level-Marketing Schemes have to do it, but I don't think Tesla has to. Better to spend that money on making the software better, which benefits both the original car owner and their friends.

However, I think Tesla Store representatives should be given some slack in giveaways and premium treatments of customers they know are "brand ambassadors". It doesn't have to be a public scheme, just an agreement that it's OK to take care of your best customers - those that bring more business in.

There was a period of time where Roadster owners received an HPC for Roadster sales attributed to them.

Honestly, I'm just happy to see the company succeed. I carry brochures, talk about Tesla, etc. without the expectation of a reward. Because I love the product that much. The car sells itself.

And really... why would they need a program like this with the kind of backlog they currently have?

Honestly, I'm just happy to see the company succeed. I carry brochures, talk about Tesla, etc. without the expectation of a reward. Because I love the product that much. The car sells itself.
+1
If you make money of other peoples purchase your credibility drops significantly....
By the way, my reservation resulted in a friend making a reservation earlier this week :) First car I`ve sold for Tesla. And I`m still half a year away from getting my Model S......

boo :( I get what you all are saying. I just thought it would be neat. I wasn't actually thinking at all about using this to 'make a profit' or negatively influence recommendations which was why I was trying to keep the amount low. Apparently not low enough, lol. Ok well at least a free tshirt or an honorary key fob holder or something!