Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pros and Cons of Owning a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone, I am creating some material which will be used at our Tesla "show and tell" events to help teach people in South Georgia about Tesla (you'd be shocked how little people know about Tesla here). One of the docs I am creating is the Pros and Cons of owning a Tesla. I have several listed, but want to make sure my list is as complete as possible on both sides. So, if you have a moment, please chime in on the things you think should be presented to those totally unaware of Tesla vehicles (other than the stupidity they see on the internet).

On the pro side, fill ups if done at off peak times are the equivalent of $.04/mile traveled. That’s hard to match at $3.00 or more per gallon for gas. Negative heat impacts range also.
Agree on the love to drive, park in the back of parking lots also...

Pro: it's like every few months or so you get a new car as you get new updates delivered automatically
Pro: the acceleration - it's more like driving in hyperspace or being teleported
Pro: drive like a ninja. Many people including me love the snarl and pop of a great engine (maserati for example). Once you get used to ninja power though, it's very addictive, silent speed.
Pro: sentry mode.
Pro: autopilot (this was the #1 reason I got the car, more than being electric and despite the endless news reports it is more than surpassed my expectations)
Con: car washes, seriously Elon you have to put a car wash mode in to help with this, should be simple and will save a lot of headaches for people (Pro: - see #1)
Con: feels a little flimsy (closing the doors took getting used to). However I also respect the need to keep the car as light as possible as well as affordable
Con: eat through tyres as you enjoy that performance

Here are some that I have listed so far. Remember, I have to present this to people who only have knowledge of a gas car and what driving and maintaining a gas car is like.

Safest Cars in the World – The Model 3, Model S, and Model X were tested by the NHTSA. All received the highest safety ratings possible (5 stars for every category). In fact, the 3 highest ranked cars in terms of least chance of sustaining an injury in a crash were all Tesla cars (Model 3, Model S, Model X in that order).

Never have to Stop for Gas During Daily Drives – For most people, who park in their garage or driveway, charging is done each night while you sleep. Everyday you wake up with a “full tank”. Depending on the model you drive, this means anywhere from 200 to 370 miles to drive each day. Each day when you return home, you simply plug the charge cable in. No hassles of stopping for gas at the absolute worst time (who likes to stop for gas?).

No Oil Changes – Or spark plugs, or timing belts, or almost anything else for that matter. Imagine how much time you spend (and money) getting an oil change and other regular maintenance on your car. This is never a factor in a Tesla car since it does not have an engine of any type. Typically, the only maintenance you will do will be tires. Even brakes last practically forever due to regenerative braking (uses momentum of car when you “let up” on the throttle to generate electricity which is returned to the battery. This effectively slows the car with no need for applying the brakes in most situations).

Gas Savings – The EPA tests vehicles to determine the MPG fuel rating for a particular vehicle. This rating is somewhat difficult for electric cars since there is no “gallon”. So, the EPA uses MPGe – which basically means the equivalent number of miles an electric car can go for the charging cost of one gallon of gasoline. The Model 3, Model S, and Model X have a MPGe rating of 134, 102, and 85 respectively. No matter what kind of gas vehicle you currently drive, you will save money in a Tesla.

Performance – (haven't written description here yet since I need to present this to the common person who could care less or even comprehend what a 0-60 mph time is. I need to make them understand the instant and steady acceleration in words that relate to everyday driving)

The only con I have so far is charge time and route restrictions when traveling. If we're being honest, this is definitely a con. I think people will respect the pros more if they see honesty about this topic. However, I will for sure explain that this con is completely offset by the time saved not stopping for gas on daily drives, as well as the money saved in gas. Plus, I'll explain how the superchargers allow you to eat, take a restroom break, etc in the minutes needed to charge (plus the rest/recovery time). But, I want to be upfront with people that if your goal is to get to your destination as quickly as possible, a Tesla (or EV in general) will be at a disadvantage to a gas car. Additionally I will explain that this disadvantage is being minimized every time Tesla increases the range of their cars. At 370 miles, most destinations will be within reach with only one charge (how often do people really drive over 600 miles a day?).

• Informative
Reactions: follow.johnny
I just thought of another pro - Cabin Overheat Protection. This feature has the potential to end all child fatalities die to children being left in the car by accident.

Also, the ability to schedule the climate control through 3rd party apps such as TeslaFi.

Con: everyone including people you haven't seen in 20 years only want to talk to you about the Tesla. You will just finish educating someone at a party for a half hour, and then someone else will come up to you and say "I think I heard you say something bout Tesla - can you tell me about it?". True story.

Pro
1.Fuel savings I drive a ton I haven’t noticed an increase in my power bill but no gas ball is very noticeable.

2. Autopilot especially navigate on autopilot rocks!

3. Over the air updates is a gift that keeps on giving, week after week.

4. It’s fun to drive so so so much fun.

5. Never waste time at a gas station again

Cons

1. Service center is far away, I have never had to return to it after my pick up though. 1 year 20K miles almost

2. Long trips I took a 1,000 mile drive in one day I spent 1 1/2 hours across 6 separate 15 minutes stops charging then again it only cost $25 in gas versus an estimated $75-$100 for a gas car.

2. Everything else I drive feels broken (it’s so slow) or antiquated (field with buttons)

3. My wife wants a new car now and I feel like that will need to be a Tesla so $$...

4. The struggle to find a con list is real... winter range I guess although long trips 100+ miles at highway speeds it doesn’t have much effect. Short trips can slam efficiency but who cares because it’s a short trip in the winter an entire day filled with short trips and no charging used about 40 percent of my long range battery... so didn’t matter

Reactions: SoGA Fan Club
You know my wife? Caused you just nailed us EXACTLY!! Not only did my wife take my Tesla, she refuses to give it back, changed its name, and said she will never drive anything but a Tesla!
OT, but my sister and brother in law live just south of Savannah and they now want a Tesla. However they want to know about delivery and service. I created a thread in he Southeast here. Could you please respond so we can add a couple more (maybe 3 including my dad) Tesla converts.

Savannah Tesla Owners - Please Help

This is an easy one: Range and size. EV range isn't the issue most people perceive to it be; in fact for 90% of my driving (by mileage) and 99% of my driving (by time), it's no issue. But once a month or so, I want to pack up the kids with a bunch of stuff, and travel 300+ miles into places that aren't well served by charging networks. Despite what CleanTechnica may tell you, I don't want to stop every 2.5 hours or so, and when I do I want it to be for 10 min, not 25 or more. I'd be hard pressed to fit all the stuff I want (we typically full our full sized wagon for these trips), and even then range would be an issue.

This is far from a fatal flaw, and not at all specific to the M3 (with SuperCharger network, M3 is the best for this) but it's a drawback relative to ICE vehicles. Also most of my issues here could be fixed with a bit more range, or even better, a more robust charging network.

Pros:
  • The instant torque and steering responsiveness is insane. I don't even have the performance (I have the discontinued mid-range), but it still feels so damn quick. Had to rent an ICE recently and couldn't stand driving it. Even the loaner Model S I had to drive when I was getting my rear windshield replaced didn't feel as quick in the acceleration or steering.
  • Software updates that add new features, improve the car's performance/range/etc, just cool...
  • A lot of this will depend on your personal commute situation, but EAP has reduced my daily stress levels tenfold. My commute is about an hour each way in bumper-to-bumper stop-n-go traffic and it had been the most stressful part of my day. It's now the most relaxing part of my day since getting my M3.
  • Cost savings from an electricity vs gas perspective. I'm going to pay somewhere between $500-$600 a year to PG&E (if you don't take my solar generation into account) while I had been paying $2500-$3500 a year in gassing up my previous vehicles (gas is usually $4+/gallon where I'm at and my off-peak rate is $0.12973 on my EV-A plan) . This might get even cheaper for me, as my work is installing some Tesla chargers that will be free to use.
  • Never having to stop for gas. Just take a couple of seconds when I get home to plug it in. I don't really take long road trips, so i can't speak for the supercharger experience. Though, I do plan on doing some later in the year just to drive the car more... because I want to drive this car more.
  • If you have children or are a grown-up child, plenty of laughs can be had with the fart mode.
Cons
  • I worry more about this car than other vehicles I've owned --- previously owned/leased a Land Rover, a couple BMW's, a Mercedes, and a Lexus. I used to just take my vehicles to a car wash whenever they started to get really dirty. Now, I hand wash it every week (and sometimes multiple times per week). I even put on a clear bra wrap and got it ceramic coated -- even though the thought never even crossed my mind with my other vehicles.
  • Same point as above, but with an added fear of being hit. Last time I was in an accident was in the early '90s when some idiot ran a red light and sideswiped me (I was the 3rd car going through the green light). Yet, I'm super paranoid of someone rear ending me. Part of this is the horror stories of long waits, part is the care level I have for the car, and the other is that I feel that the auto-braking is a little too aggressive and stops short. That said, the car's "quickness" can help you avoid accidents -- two weeks ago the two cars ahead of me slammed on their brakes, so the car slowed down accordingly.... I noticed the car behind me wasn't slowing down enough, so I quickly accelerated and steered off to the side of the road (and then slammed on my brakes because there was a dead dear and two little girls standing looking at it). The car that behind me skidded and came within inches of hitting the car that was ahead of me. Not sure if I would've been able to get out of the lane so quickly in other vehicles I've driven.
  • Again, another point about worrying about the car -- with all the information about the car available through the Tesla and 3rd party apps, it's hard not to check your car's stats frequently and worry about everything. According to TeslaFi and Carmiq, my battery was down 5% after the first 1,500 miles and it had me freaking out (not enough to call Tesla Service, though). It's now back up to 99%.
  • BETA. We're all QA'ing this thing. If you expect things to work 100% perfectly, you'll be in for a rude awakening. Be an attentive driver and be ready to take over when the car tries to do something stupid.
  • Panel gaps and paint quality can be iffy. I don't notice it unless I'm washing my car or installing something on it, but I have a lot of bad paint and practically every panel gap is noticeably uneven (this has reportedly been improved, though).
  • You have to turn on fart mode every time you start up the car, which means if you want to surprise someone new with it you have to do this quickly before they see what you're doing. Hopefully there's an always on option in a future update...

Con: Remote destinations and charging. For instance, it would be practically impossible to visit Anchorage, Alaska. Even driving directly from Oklahoma City to Little Rock, Arkansas is not currently possible. This will change over time, but there are definitely some limitations on destinations without overnight stays for charging.