Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PROS/CONS - what makes you love your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you are right :) Compared to some replies, this is not full defensive mode. My apologies.

I think many though need to come to a point where a Tesla shortcoming does not need to be defended or other brands brought up. My new MYP has a lot of PROS, but there are for sure some CONS (some big, some small).
Everyone has an opinion. Just let it go. No one really cares, anyway....

Quick introduction: I'm on the fence about getting a Model Y LR. I test drove one, and I've been reading a LOT about the car. In short, driving it sure was fun but I read some of the negatives and I wonder if it's really worth it. So...

What pros outweigh the cons for you, and make you love your car?
Not what features made you buy a Tesla Y (or 3), but what now makes you glad that you did?

Here's a quick list of some of the things I've read about, and I am concerned about, but couldn't really test on my test drive:
  1. Phantom braking so bad that some people don't even use AutoPilot, and no "ordinary" cruise control at all
  2. Auto headlights too unreliable to rely on
  3. Auto windshield wipers unreliable whereas other cars do it well
  4. no Apple / Android integration
  5. lots of issues playing music from USB (I'm old fashioned and like having my 10,000+ song collection on USB in my current vehicle)
    • it forgets where you were when you leave the car and get back in (that would really annoy me)
    • issues searching USB by voice commands
  6. paying luxury car price for the car but not getting luxury features common in other cars in this price range
  7. rear visibility - tiny rear window, small side mirrors, no blind spot warning like many other cars have now

I guess I'm wondering if I can't use AutoPilot, auto headlights & wipers, experience problems playing musing on USB, if rear view and blind spots are worse than my current car, would I really be happy with a Model Y? Or is driving it just that much fun?
My thoughts after about 11,000 miles.

1. I use ordinary cruise control all the time. Works great. Auto Pilot has gotten better with the phantom braking but still happens from time to time, but rarely.
  2. Auto headlights work fine. Auto high beams is the thing I find more trouble than it's worth. Switches on and off so much that it is like I am flashing my high beams at people on purpose.
  3. Mine work pretty well
  4. I wish I had Apple Car Play but it's not a deal breaker. I use an Amazon Echo Auto to control my phone via bluetooth. Works fine.
  5. I have no experience with this. I never use the USB, only bluetooth and it always remembers where I was with Spotify, Audible, etc.
  6. This is overblown in my opinion. A equivalent luxury car is not $55-60,000. It is like $75,000 and up. Mid-50's is Ford Explorer pricing, not Audi or BMW. I can from a BMW and don't see much of an issue with this. And German cars are money pits.
  7. I noticed this for about a week. Now I don't see it as an issue at all. You get used to the small window. I do wish the car had cross traffic warnings. That is a glaring deficit in my opinion.
With all of that, I am 100% happy with my purchase and would do it again.

Pat

Reactions: Deutsch100
Interesting thread. If I may, the one characteristic of the MY that I have read about is the ride quality. During my test drive I noticed it was quite harsh, but at the time thought it might have been me.

What do you guys think?
I don't want it to feel like I am riding on a couch. If I wanted that, I'd have bought a Lexus. I like the stiffer ride. To each their own, I guess.

Correct, there is no ordinary cruise control, only Traffic Aware Cruise Control. But you can use just the TACC (1-click) without Autosteer (2-clicks). I'm guessing some people refer to this as ordinary cruise control, but there is no way to make it stop watching the car in front of you.

Cons - biggest one for me is the poor quality control and fit/finish of the car. its pretty bad, like really bad. I’ve owned lots of cars and rent on average 15 cars a year for work travel for the past and my Y is dead last in terms of fit and finish. Bad paint, panel gaps, rattles. I have other issues with the car like the weird blind spot “monitoring” but they are minor.

Pro - never going to the gas station, Tesla UI, one pedal driving, and instant torque trump all my cons

Cons - biggest one for me is the poor quality control and fit/finish of the car. its pretty bad, like really bad. I’ve owned lots of cars and rent on average 15 cars a year for work travel for the past and my Y is dead last in terms of fit and finish. Bad paint, panel gaps, rattles. I have other issues with the car like the weird blind spot “monitoring” but they are minor.

Pro - never going to the gas station, Tesla UI, one pedal driving, and instant torque trump all my cons
I agree with you 100%. My spouse and I usually get a new car every 12-18 months, and from all the cars we have had from a Honda Civic to a Toyota Tacoma all the way up to Rolls & Bentley (and easily 25 MBZ, BMW, Range Rover, Porsche, Audi, Lexus....) I am absolutely shocked at Tesla panel gaps, fit and alignment, rattles...

My Tesla paint is actually gorgeous, I have to give credit where credit is due. But it seems (very) brittle. I already have 2 very prominent rock chips. My last 2 Jags and BMWs went several years with no freeway rock chips and my Tesla went 1 week :-o

Tesla UI, one pedal driving and no gas station visits are heaven though!!!

I’ve read a lot about poor Tesla quality and harsh ride of the Model Y, but through 10 days of ownership of the MYP so far, I’ve been very happy with it and haven’t felt either being an issue for me. Now, I come from 2 Honda Odysseys over the past 13 years or so, so perhaps I’m more forgiving than those of you who owned BMW and Porsches. LOL!

Anyway, a few pros and cons from my limited time with my MYP:

Con:
-I’ve hit my right knee on the bottom corner of the screen a few times. Hopefully this doesn’t become a regular thing. It kind of hurts.
-I haven’t come close to using up the battery yet, but if I extrapolate what I’m seeing so far, the range will be far shorter than advertised. I think I’d be lucky to get past 200 miles on 85% charge, and I’ve actually tried to be energy efficient with my driving.

Pro:
-Knowing that most of the time I’m in the fastest car in my immediate vicinity. The acceleration will never get old.
-I got used to the UI quickly and really like it.
-Charging the car nightly like it’s a smartphone.
-Great for waiting in the parking lot for kids during their activities.

I’m loving the car so far. Hopefully it’ll be a mostly trouble-free ownership experience.

I love everything about my Y. Won't buy another car brand ever again. How's that?
I've had it for 4 months. Gone on four 900 mile drives (odometer is at 7500 miles). Zero issues. Love the navigation. Love the power. Love the handling. Best seats every. Great music system. SuperCharging is entertaining and fast. It's fun. Has more usable space than any other car I've ever owned (I'm somewhere around 35 cars and I'm 67). Use Spotify. My AutoPilot is fine (I like to drive myself anyway - but, on a long road trip it works very well) No complaints here. Did I mention I love my Y? Oh, I don't have to pump gas - which I detest...I wake up in the morning and am able to drive 220 miles - every morning. I did change my side mirrors, which took all of 5 minutes to do and, now, I have no blind spots. Rear visibility is fine. The windshield wipers work fine - I think the auto mode blows on all cars. Did I mention I'm thrilled with my Y?
Another plus: No trips to the dealer for periodical "maintenance": oil changes, filters, engine adjustments, smog checks, etc. etc. etc. I;ve had four Teslas, two with over 100,000 miles and NEVER any maintenance other than a set of windshield wipers. It's not just the cost of the oil change and filter and LABOR (unless you do it yourself and dispose of the used oil responsibly) but your TIME sitting with the other ICE owners waiting for the service department to do the work, every few months. MAN, I'm glad those days are over!!! And now, my car fills up by itself, at night, ready every morning.

Reactions: Cobe and RichBrowne
My understanding is that tires can wear quickly due to the weight of the car and acceleration - now many new tires in 100,000 miles? Plus tire rotations too I guess.

I go through tires more quickly ... but the increased torque has more to do with that ;). Every 20k ... So getting 1/2 or 1/3 the tire rating.

I also go through more cabin filters, and it's not as easy to change (Model 3 and Y) as other vehicles.

My wife absolutely loves her MY. So here are my observations with 1500 miles to date.
PROS:
Performance…. All-Wheel Drive/two motors digital torque control to all wheels, consistent (fast) acceleration, quiet ride (except road noise), tight steering, low CG for stability
Control…. 15” touch screen, many options to customize, auto unlocks at your approach, rolls up windows/cuts power and locks on your departure, outside mirrors rotate downward in reverse,
Comfort …. great seats, road visibility (elevated seats/low dash), heated seats, A/C front and back, sound system
Charging …. simple home access, superchargers, onboard travel guide, wake up to full battery every morning,
Cargo Space …. Large 76 cu ft capacity, easy access front/back trunks, one-button fold down seats,
Tesla road service (no membership fee while under warranty)
Software updates…. Dog mode, camping mode, romantic mode, car wash mode, weekly updates to fix bugs, download new features, functionality and performance
Special Stuff …. Voice control for most all driving needs, can voice you text responses while driving, rarely use brake pedal so driving more relaxed, screen visualizations show cars in your blind spots,
Crash worthiness… 5-STAR

CONS:
Expensive….for the average buyer: $56k drive off price, plus $1700 home charger buy/install, etc
Actual range…less that rated (like EPA standards in ICE cars usually higher than actual achieved). Range decreased by cold weather, aggressive driving, town driving, towing, fully loaded, highway speeds, A/C & heaters. Drivers receiving 70-90% range efficiency.
Crash worthiness…. “Casting design” and “battery damage” appear to cause more “totaled” accidents (less repairable)
Crash Repair…. Tesla vehicles can be only repaired at Tesla-authorized body shops - only ones that can order OM parts. Only Tesla can replace Tesla glass, no aftermarket glass exists that I know of (following a windshield replacement the forward camera has to be recalibrated/onboard capability)
No Jack or Spare Tire…. purchased kit to replace spare tire
Customer service…. All online and no one to talk with initially. Sometimes you need to talk through stuff.
Tires … “Foam filled” limits Flat-Repair-Service (my next tires will be standard non-foam config)
Software sophistication …. Cruise control over-reacts (alarms and slows car) on tight curves where approaching car “appears to be in your lane”.

I think everyone summed it up, but really what would you expect on a Tesla Forum? You get work arounds for your annoyances. Auto wipers and headlights are my biggest on your list. But a slight tap at the end of the left stalk and it brings up the wiper menu and gives you a swipe.

You can always put your phone to play through the car, so whatever you want for "music" can be there and the pad charges my phone. I did have to get a slimmer case for it.

First Tesla, but not first EV - it's hard to go back to an ICE vehicle after driving a Tesa. Even our "hot rod" V8 Grand Cherokee feels unresponsive and slow. (although it rides like a lot better because it's tuned for comfort not performance).

Only you can decide if the car is for you.

Reactions: Cobe