Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protruding headlights: Did Tesla fix this on your 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just went to check mine. Not quite flush but not that bad. Have to get pretty low to notice it. VIN in the 7000s.

MVIMG_20180318_172749.jpg
MVIMG_20180318_172811.jpg
MVIMG_20180318_172821.jpg
IMG_20180318_172834.jpg

The techs at the local Service Center told me yesterday the bulging is by design to cool the headlights. I’m not kidding.

It is a little surprising that after all of the reports here about this matter, I don’t think anyone has reported such an explanation previously.
Hmmm.. interesting.. the same explanation can apply to the constant buzzing/whirring behind the headlight as well I guess.

The techs at the local Service Center told me yesterday the bulging is by design to cool the headlights. I’m not kidding.
I believe you when you say that is what you were told. But I don’t believe the explanation you were given. The headlights are LED; they do not need “cooling”. And the variation between cars — and between headlights on the same car —that I have perceived visually, and felt with my fingers, is significant. It cannot possibly be intentional.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I believe you when you say that is what you were told. But I don’t believe the explanation you were given. The headlights are LED; they do not need “cooling”. And the variation between cars — and between headlights on the same car —that I have perceived visually, and felt with my fingers, is significant. It cannot possibly be intentional.
And there were three techs, all nodding their heads in agreement. I don’t understand it either but obviously have no basis to challenge the explanation. I’m sure we will hear more in the future since it seems to be a common complaint. My S lights are flush with the fender, so that makes the explanation even stranger.

Believe it or not... LED's do create a lot of heat and often heat sinks are needed otherwise they degrade at very high rate.

The "bulging is on purpose for cooling" excuse is silly. I can't believe that bulging a few millimeters would increase the amount of cooling... and would have ZERO effect when the vehicle is stopped. If cooling is an issue (and it very well might be) then a heat sync and/or fan is the solution, not sticking out the headlights slightly above the adjacent body panels.

Without seeing them in person, even the worst ones don't look that bad to me but it's very understandable that we all want a $50K car to be as close to perfect as possible. And, as was mentioned earlier, this is going to be a bigger issue as they move beyond the early adopters.

For those who have been able to get the SC to fix the issue, can you expand on what was said to get them to comply?

• Informative
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Mine protrude too. Early on after delivery in April, I asked about it. They said they all do, within spec. I compared to every Model 3 in the lot for delivery and they all protruded, so I kind of shrugged and moved on. That said, there's no way they were DESIGNED to protrude. Nothing else protrudes on this car. The lights appear to be shaped to fit the shape of the car. My first thought is to wait to get this fixed if I have anything else that needs to be fixed down the road, but I worry about the flood of Model 3's that are coming (Indiana, so not as bad as most of you... not near the volume here).